El Paso to Chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berkyo

Service Attendant
Hello fellow travelers.

This has probably been discussed before but I need clarification, I read the recent zone rules and think it is a one zone reward between El PAso Tx and CHi.

There are 2 choices generated on the Amtrak booking site. One is the Texas Eagle all the way and the other is the Sunset Limited and then the Texas Eagle.

They both appear to leave at 3:35 pm form El Paso and both arrive at 1:52 in CHi

What is the difference and will either one be a one zone reward?

we are taking coach out to Santa Fe and want to take a different ride back home. The ride home will be in a roomette and use the AGR points.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello fellow travelers.
This has probably been discussed before but I need clarification, I read the recent zone rules and think it is a one zone reward between El PAso Tx and CHi. Is that correct?
That is correct. ELP,ABQ,DEN & WPT are the border stations between AGR's Central & West Zones. TOL,CIN & ATL being the Border Stations between the Central & East Zones.

Around ABQ there are a couple of other Stations considered Border Stations, but this Florida Boy will defer!!!

Back to your question, they are the same train to SAS then the # 2 goes to NOL & the 422 goes to CHI. So book 422 & Fave Fun! & yes it is a 1 Zone Award!

RF

Looking at paying for the rooms, It is $562 for a roomette on the Texas Eagle all the way, but if I choose The SSL and then the TE it is $124 plus $274 or $398.

To ride coach, the TE all the way is $418 for both of us and the SSL changing to the TE is $266.

The SWC coach is $466 for coach and a roomette is $528.

Am I reading this right? the longer ride is cheaper? Even in a roomette?

Ok, Before i am inundated here, :) I see what I am looking at. I forgot to ADD the price to the regular fare.

So, rail Freak, you are saying the 422 or Texas Eagle all the way is a better ride? I have never been to NL and would like

to ride through it.

Looking at paying for the rooms, It is $562 for a roomette on the Texas Eagle all the way, but if I choose The SSL and then the TE it is $124 plus $274 or $398.
To ride coach, the TE all the way is $418 for both of us and the SSL changing to the TE is $266.

The SWC coach is $466 for coach and a roomette is $528.

Am I reading this right? the longer ride is cheaper? Even in a roomette?
It is Happy Hour but I'm getting confused. If your paying cash why the Zone Questions?

If you book #422 you can stay on the train sleeping while in SAS, if you book #2 & a change of rooms to #422 in SAS you'll have to get off the train, wait in the station till departure. Book #422!!! If you want to go to NOL book #2!

I'm confused too? :huh: Are you paying cash or are you using points? There are no "zones" when paying cash!

Train #2 goes from LAX to NOL while train #422 goes from LAX to CHI. Between LAX and SAS, they are the same train. The thru cars to Chicago consist of one sleeper and one coach, which are taken off the Sunset Limited (SL) and attached to train #22 up to CHI. If you go to NOL, you must stay overnight (on your own dime) - and if an AGR award trip, you must use another award to get to CHI!

The reason for the price difference between train #2 and #422 is the law of supply and demand. Only 2 cars get transferred at SAS.

This looks like it has gotten confusing.

422 really is the through Chicago cars, one sleeper and one coach, that are switched from the Sunset to the Texas Eagle at SAS, not a separate train. They are part of the Sunset LA-SAS, then part of the Texas Eagle SAS-CHI. It is listed with a separate train number due to the way Amtrak's reservation system is set up.

As Rail Freak has pointed out, the difference is if you book on 2 and 22 you must detrain in SAS and wait until 22 starts to board instead of staying snug in your car. Take 422!

As to going to Chicago via NOL (or "NL") on trains 2 and 58, that is NOT a "published route" (doesn't show in Amtrak.com) and so would not be redeemable as one AGR award.

ELP-CHI is a one zone award, if you are redeeming AGR points for the trip. As others have noted, it doesn't matter what the AGR zones are if you are paying for the ticket.

Sorry to be confusing. I am using AGR points for this trip, but i was looking at it on the booking site and it was showing me the cost if I were just paying cash. I was just wondering why the difference in price and thinking I was lucky to have the points. And thanks for clearing it up for me. We will take the through train!

Back