eggs for breakfast?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you people serious? No wonder there is another post (thread?) for fat people. Who cares about the eggs? Get on the train and enjoy the ride.
That's right. Do away with the diner and cafe and just install vending machines, 'cause the only thing that matters is being on the train. :wacko:
The Governor Walker Memorial Cafe and Diner!

Wait. Seriously (yep, I used that word). And I didn't capitalize every word. What is wrong with you Jim? Are you ok?
What is your problem? Nobody here has done anything to you, so why are you being a jerk?

Wait. Seriously (yep, I used that word). And I didn't capitalize every word. What is wrong with you Jim? Are you ok?
What is your problem? Nobody here has done anything to you, so why are you being a jerk?
I don't know but I just noticed that you are into urban decay ? Do you explore abandoned building ? I love it.

Mike - yes, I love abandoned buildings and tunnels. Check out the "old tunnels" thread!

IHOP, Denny's, Waffle House, Cracker Barrel, etc. have managed to provide cooked to order eggs with the simple notation on the menu that undercooked eggs pose a risk. I don't think Amtrak did this to reduce liability...
Agreed.

Then again a substantial portion of the forum seems shocked I haven't been killed ten times over by Amtrak's self-serve ice cubes.

The idea that a healthy person could somehow survive an undercooked egg once in a while must be blowing minds as we speak.

That's not to say we don't deserve a cleaner, healthier, better regulated and inspected egg production process.

If it ever comes up for a vote I'll happily side with the pro-health consumers who want better protections from careless harvesters.

That being said eggs aren't the sort of thing I tend to worry about at this stage of my life.

If I'm wrong about this and all it takes is a single bad egg or ice cube to kill me, well then maybe it's just my time to go.

Until then let me take on the risk by ordering them however I damn well please.

If you need me to sign a waiver absolving you of any responsibility then so be it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe, it has a lot more to do with ease of preparation, than risk of salmonella....Ihop, Denny's, Waffle House, Cracker Barrel, etc etc has managed to provide cooked to order eggs with the simple notation on the menu that undercooked eggs pose a risk. I don't think Amtrak did this to reduce liability, as much as reduce lost waste when they're cooked wrong, and get breakfast out faster.
You might regularly stay overnight at your local Ihop, Denny's, Waffle House, Cracker Barrel, etc etc, but IMHO, most people leave after they finish eating their salmonella laced eggs. That's one major difference. If anyone gets sick on a LD Amtrak train, Amtrak has to deal with it on-board.

You might regularly stay overnight at your local Ihop, Denny's, Waffle House, Cracker Barrel, etc etc, but IMHO, most people leave after they finish eating their salmonella laced eggs. That's one major difference. If anyone gets sick on a LD Amtrak train, Amtrak has to deal with it on-board.
Deal with it? What does that mean? I've gotten sick on trains, planes, and taxis and nobody had to deal with it but me. The only time anyone has offered to do anything about me getting sick was when I stayed at a resort with their own nurse and clinic. Did Amtrak start hiring nurses recently or is this just some sort hypothetical thing nobody but you is aware of?

Sorry everyone. It was my birthday yesterday. I was very depressed and treated it with alcohol. My sincere apologies.
My bloodline is genetically predisposed to alcoholism. I recently went on a trip where a friend of mine got drunk nearly every day and generally made a real ass of himself. That experience opened my eyes to what a terrible and useless vice alcohol can be. I'll probably never walk a completely sober path, but I've been making the effort to cut back on my consumption so it plays a much smaller role in my life than it did in the past.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that undermicrowaved chicken can also pose a salmonella risk...

I wonder how many people have died in the last 41 years from food poisoning on Amtrak.

i can make eggs at home anytime, so i stick to the Railroad French Toast---can't duplicate that treat!

I believe, it has a lot more to do with ease of preparation, than risk of salmonella....Ihop, Denny's, Waffle House, Cracker Barrel, etc etc has managed to provide cooked to order eggs with the simple notation on the menu that undercooked eggs pose a risk. I don't think Amtrak did this to reduce liability, as much as reduce lost waste when they're cooked wrong, and get breakfast out faster.
The risk of salmonella in eggs from decently-run free-range chicken farms is essentially zero. Don't worry about eating undercooked eggs if you bought them yourself at the farmer's market, or if your local artisanal restaurant did.

Unfortunately, Amtrak, like most major chains, is probably getting its eggs from unhealthy chickens trapped in battery hen farms. These sick chickens make substandard shells, which allows salmonella to get into the eggs. :-( Factory food is bad.

Although I have not had breakfast on the train since last January (Where I had an omelet) As a food service/food safety professional the reasons may have more to do with storage space and cost per serving than anything else. A case of 12 /32 oz cartons of liquid pasteurized whole egg which can make approximately 190-200 servings of scrambled eggs or omelets has about half the cubic dimensions of a case of pasteurized whole egg in the shell which will yield about 75% of the servings of the liquid product. The other is the trash volume of the cases, internal egg cradles and and shells.

In addition, the cost of the liquid product is less than the whole egg. The current cost of the liquid product from a national foodservice purveyor to a facility who is a member of a Group Purchasing Organization (of which I am sure AMTRAK is) is $ 25.36 per case or $0.13 per serving. The cost of the in-shell pasteurized egg is $31.90 per case or $0.22 per serving.

These may not have been all factors involved, but I'd be willing to bet it was a major consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back