Efficient Use of Inconvenience Refund

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anderson

Engineer
Back in March, I was on a rather infamously delayed SWC. I didn't mind it, but it was a sizeable delay, and Amtrak apparently felt bad enough about it to refund my ABQ-FLG fare (i.e. lots of folks complained or the delay was insane enough by LAX to merit refunding). So I have one of those certificates.

This presents an...interesting question: What is the most efficient use of one of those certificates? I don't get AGR for it, which means cashing it in for a short haul trip (say, RVR-WAS-RVR) would be a bad use of it from a rail point perspective; I also specifically avoided cashing it in during the last few weeks for the same reason. Should I try cashing it in on a segment that is almost exactly the amount listed, though? Or as part of a bigger segment?

Likewise, in the department of Arrow Is Stupid (do remember that little screwup back at Christmas where I was apparently three places at one time according to AGR...someone please tell me how I was on the same day's CL and LSL if you figure it out, I'm still wondering about that:p), if I cash it in and then switch the reservation, is that likely to confound the computer?

I have only had one voucher and I used it for a trip. The cost of the trip exceeded the value of the

voucher and I paid the difference. I didn't get AGR points and called AGR and was told it was a voucher

and I would not receive any credit.

The voucher you received can be use just like cash to buy ANY Amtrak ticket! (Not just for the same value or between the same points.) For instance, if the voucher is for $50 and the ticket you purchase costs $125, you turn in the voucher and $75 more to receive the ticket!
smile.gif

I once had a voucher for $300. I used it to buy a ticket for $303.50 - I turned in the voucher and paid $3.50 more!
biggrin.gif

I recently used a voucher to pay for my trip and have received credit already for the second part of the trip; the first part has yet to be posted. Are there different types of vouchers of which some allow AGR points and some do not?

Are there different types of vouchers of which some allow AGR points and some do not?
I don't think so. It's just that 1) sometimes you use a voucher and you get AGR points and 2) sometimes you don't. Either case 1 or 2 violates AGR rules, but you've got me as to which one. It isn't as though this information is published. Think of it as one of the entertaining vagaries of AGR.

Yes, there are two types of vouchers. Vouchers issued for the purpose of a refund, which do earn points. And vouchers issued for problems while on a trip, which are not supposed to earn points but sometimes still do.

Yes, there are two types of vouchers. Vouchers issued for the purpose of a refund, which do earn points. And vouchers issued for problems while on a trip, which are not supposed to earn points but sometimes still do.
Oh I see... Well, mine was the inconvenience one. So I'll keep my fingers crossed that the other half posts as well. (that's the part where I did an onboard upgrade so I'll have to wait & see.) Those triple points are adding up quickly... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh I see... Well, mine was the inconvenience one. So I'll keep my fingers crossed that the other half posts as well. (that's the part where I did an onboard upgrade so I'll have to wait & see.) Those triple points are adding up quickly... :)
An onboard upgrade will never post points for the sleeper; only the railfare points would ever post. All onboard upgrades require intervention directly from AGR agents.

Back