Editor's column: Is this any way to run a railroad, Amtrak?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I read that editorial the other day. It's hard to not get annoyed or frustrated when you want to take the train and everything goes to hell shortly before you are supposed to depart. But the freight RRs don't really care and Congress won't give enough money to fix any equipment. I'm also not sure the Amtrak BODs want anything different, either. So we're left to write our reps and join NARP. And maybe not hold your breath that things will appreciably change any time soon.

Last November something similar happened when I had tickets Flagstaff to LAX. Amtrak informed me the train was broken down in La Junta. I told them to refund my fare, and they promptly did, as my disgust was evident. They must have changed their refund policy, as I Was given no argument.

Make all the excuses you want for broken down engines, but to not refund the whole fare immediately is unconscionable. To hide behind a ridiculous in this case rule is even worse.

In cases such as this....I find it hard to accept that Amtrak would not amend their policy, if taken to the next level, and issue a full refund.....and it would behoove them to perhaps issue a voucher for discount future travel as well, to try to retain a customer....

The editor should send Amtrak a copy of his column, as a further incentive to placate a person of some influence...

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back