EB service disruptions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

andromeda

I have a question for all. I am planning on being adventurous and taking the EB from ND to IL early in February. I checked out the daily historic performance of the Empire Builder for the winter months on the site that tracks Amtrak. There are a few periods up to 3 or 4 days in a row. There are also a lot of periods of just one day. Are the majority of those one day periods when the train turns around in SPK instead of PDX and SEA? The only way to check the status at that point would be to call the number directly? I am getting more and more nervous about that trip -- not about the delays which I am expecting up to 6-9 hours, but about being canceled all together.

I believe the EB has been canceled four days so far this winter: Dec. 14 (one day) and Dec. 31-Jan. 2 (three days). It has turned in Spokane quite a few times, either because it is running over six hours late or because of mudslides north of Seattle.

All in all I'd say the train is canceled about 5-8% of the time in the winter months.

Thanks for the information. If you fly in the winter, the odds are about the same for a flight cancellation (5-10%). I will probably track it as soon as 7 leaves Chicago until it becomes 8 in SPK or SEA/PDX. Tonight (11 Jan) I noticed it took almost 2 hours to get from CHI to MKE. Must have been stuck behind several METRA trains in Chicagoland. Doesn't it follow the route to Kenosha?

I should rephrase the 5-10% chance of having flight canceled to either having a flight canceled or missing a connection, which I have to make no matter where I go from here. At least you won't be groped by TSA agents boarding a train.

Thanks for the information. If you fly in the winter, the odds are about the same for a flight cancellation (5-10%). I will probably track it as soon as 7 leaves Chicago until it becomes 8 in SPK or SEA/PDX. Tonight (11 Jan) I noticed it took almost 2 hours to get from CHI to MKE. Must have been stuck behind several METRA trains in Chicagoland. Doesn't it follow the route to Kenosha?
No it doesn't follow the UP line to Kenosha. It's on another metra track until north of glenview where it gets on the cp line or the former milwaukee road I believe.

It can get stuck in Chicago for various reasons like freight traffic or the air breaks get applied when some idiot tries to dodge the train or there's track work or some slow orders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back