EB at CUS question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pianocat

Lead Service Attendant
Quick question. I'll be in car 2780 of EB soon heading out west. I understand that this car is at the very end of the train, but my question is where this car will be found at CUS - very close to the Met Lounge or 1/2 mile down the platform. TIA

My guess it should be close to the lounge/gate since the engine should be facing away from the station.

George beat me to it! Every time I took it, 2730 was either just out the door of the ML or just a very short walk. On the return into CUS 2830 is way out (I think in WI :giggle: ), but 0830 was right next to the ML door. This all assumes it uses the pass thru track.

Funny - in Wiscosin.

When we returned on the CZ, we were at the end as well, and we were 6 hours late and no, we didn't back in. It was a mighty long walk that Sunday night. It felt like we walked from Iowa.

Donna: It can be Freezing Cold in Union Station and with Slippery Platforms so I suggest getting a Red Cap to take you to/from your Car rather than the kindergarten walk with the Amtrak staff or the looooong walk to the Station!

Enjoy the Hi- Line, look forward to your trip report!

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny - in Wiscosin.

When we returned on the CZ, we were at the end as well, and we were 6 hours late and no, we didn't back in. It was a mighty long walk that Sunday night. It felt like we walked from Iowa.
The train will back in so it's pointed nose-first to prepare for the outbound trip, but when it returns to drop passengers off, it pulls in with the nose toward the station.

Jim, good idea. I definitely will grab a red cap when we get back to CHI, - think I'll be ok for westbound as long as it indeed backs in as folks are saying. Never taken this route in the winter. Should be interesting...... ;)

Jim, good idea. I definitely will grab a red cap when we get back to CHI, - think I'll be ok for westbound as long as it indeed backs in as folks are saying. Never taken this route in the winter. Should be interesting...... ;)
Well, actually it doesn't back in, it pulls forward from the other side of the station. There is on track that connects both north and south sides. The train is prepped on the south side and then pulls through to the north.

Well, actually it doesn't back in, it pulls forward from the other side of the station. There is on track that connects both north and south sides. The train is prepped on the south side and then pulls through to the north.
What about the southbound trains? I know Chicago has that one track (28?) that runs along the kindergarten walk area, but we always board the SWC over on one of the other tracks (usually 24). I can't imagine how the train gets over there without backing in somehow. Same for the Wolverine and Blue Water.

If you are in the lounge early, and sitting looking at the door going out, you can see the EB passing by though the frosted glass doors. And it's parked just up the track on the left. So, as you get out the door, it's on the left, and not too far to go.

What about the southbound trains? I know Chicago has that one track (28?) that runs along the kindergarten walk area, but we always board the SWC over on one of the other tracks (usually 24). I can't imagine how the train gets over there without backing in somehow. Same for the Wolverine and Blue Water.
The yards are south of the station. The southbound trains back in for departures. The northbounds can just pull forward on the pass thru tracks along the river.

Betty - here is a map layout of the tracks (gates) showing what is where. Odd number gates on the north, even on the south.

CUS Map.jpg

The yards are south of the station. The southbound trains back in for departures. The northbounds can just pull forward on the pass thru tracks along the river.
Yeah, but then I wonder how the northbounds along the other tracks (such as the Hiawatha) get to their tracks. They must have to back in too.

Perhaps the LD trains use the track along the river for departures and the regionals back onto the other tracks? (Metra is push/pull, so I'm not including those trains.)

Yeah, but then I wonder how the northbounds along the other tracks (such as the Hiawatha) get to their tracks. They must have to back in too.

Perhaps the LD trains use the track along the river for departures and the regionals back onto the other tracks? (Metra is push/pull, so I'm not including those trains.)
Hiawatha is the only other Amtrak to use the north side and it is push/pull, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back