early trip planning

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jb64

OBS Chief
My mother turns 70 in 2012 and made the comment that she would like to "go out west" before she died. I tried to get from her what "out west" actually meant and she finally said Colorado or desert. So, I was thinking that I had enough points for 3 zone roomette roundtrip and I could take her for her birthday. She and I share a birthday but it is close to Christmas and we are always busy. I was thinking it might be nice to travel in the fall to see some fall color. So, here is my preliminary plan: Card to Chi then CZ westbound (bonus: I've only done eastbound) to somewhere in Utah, I guess. From there rent a car and drive south toward the Grand Canyon. From the Grand Canyon, we could catch the SWC back. That way, she gets to see the climb over the Rockies part of Colorado as well as the desert of Arizona. Here is where I need your help: Which stops would be best to get off, rent a car, etc. How easy is it to get from Grand Canyon to SWC? Is Williams or Flagstaff better, for example. Would Fall be a good time for this kind of trip or are there other parts of the year that would be better?

Thanks in advance for all your replies and Merry Christmas.

I know that, from future trip planning myself, getting between the South Rim of the Grand Canyon to the SWC is more than easy. If you are renting a car one-way, probably Flagstaff as thats where most of the rental car companies are located. Also, the Williams stop is more geared toward the Grand Canyon Railway business side of things, with a shuttle between the stop and their hotel.

Sounds like a great trip!

Oh, and side-note. Use Enterprise for the rental car, they are by far the best company I've ever used and I recommend them to everyone. And they participate with AGR for bonus points!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back