Drugstore or convenience store near LAUS?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i think the famima in the station is about it. a year or so ago we were waiting in laus and i decided i wasn't going to be extorted by their soda pop prices. i wandered up through chinatown and couldn't find what i wanted. came back hot and sweaty and paid their price. little tokyo, which is a fun place, is only a few blocks in the other direction and does have good places to get most anything. i should have gone that way. if you like to walk we have done it 3 times during the day without problem

Is there a drugstore or convenience store within easy walking distance of Los Angeles Union Station?
I believe the Famima store in the station acts much like a convenience store.
Good idea. I forgot about that. I'm flying in and then taking the train and don't want to be bothered with 3-ounce restrictions and plastic bags, so plan on buying shampoo, razors and shaving cream before boarding the Texas Eagle.

i think the famima in the station is about it. a year or so ago we were waiting in laus and i decided i wasn't going to be extorted by their soda pop prices. i wandered up through chinatown and couldn't find what i wanted. came back hot and sweaty and paid their price. little tokyo, which is a fun place, is only a few blocks in the other direction and does have good places to get most anything. i should have gone that way. if you like to walk we have done it 3 times during the day without problem
I will have a couple hours before my train leaves, so a walk might be nice. Thanks for the idea!

I will have a couple hours before my train leaves, so a walk might be nice. Thanks for the idea!
Or for the fun of it, you could take the Gold Line three blocks away which will put you in the right spot, also very close to the Toy District, where you can do some great Christmas shopping! The Toy District lives up to its name. Almost every store literally is a toy store.

No walk to Little Tokyo is complete without a dogleg up to Phillipe on the way there or back depending on how hungry you are-remember Chinese/Oriental Food has little lasting power :lol:

No walk to Little Tokyo is complete without a dogleg up to Phillipe on the way there or back depending on how hungry you are-remember Chinese/Oriental Food has little lasting power :lol:
Depends on the time of day. During the lunch hours, Phillipe's might be too crowded (and with a line out the door, etc.). If you're only on a short layover (less than 4 hours), I wouldn't risk it.

Or for the fun of it, you could take the Gold Line three blocks away which will put you in the right spot, also very close to the Toy District, where you can do some great Christmas shopping! The Toy District lives up to its name. Almost every store literally is a toy store.
I didn't even know there was a toy district. From what I saw online just now, it seems like you might take the red or purple line. I thought it was generally south of the music center area. Thanks for the info.

Dan

I don't know how Mexican food goes on top of Oriental food, but you could go just northwest of LAUS to Olvera Street, the birthplace of Los Angeles. Good burritos, lots of Mexican souvenirs. :D

Yeah Dan the Toy District is pretty cool. Immediately adjacent to Little Tokyo, and as I was saying, the Gold Line to Little Tokyo would just take a few blocks off the walk. One of my favorite restaurants in the Downtown LA area is right near the Little Tokyo stop, called Manten. Cheap and good. Both Japanese and Chinese food. Recommended.

I'd take the Metro Red Line Subway to the Sunset/Vermont stop at 1500 N Vermont-there's a Rite-Aid drugstore a block away at 1636 N Vermont. The Metro trains run continually straight out of Union Station and are easy to navigate. Public transportation has improved in LA because of the subway. You should be able to run this type of errand in less than an hour-plus you'd get to see lovely east Hollywood.

While it may be "East Hollywood" I would more consider that stop to be East OF Hollywood. It bears little resemblance to many of the theaters and landmarks that we typically associate with Hollywood. In fact, Little Armenia is right around that stop, even though to many, Little Armenia, is just Glendale :) Seriously, more than 25% of Glendale's population of 200,000 is Armenian. No need to take a subway to walk a block to a convenience store, IMO.

I have used this store on previous trip.

CVS/pharmacy

201 North Los Angeles Street, Los Angeles, CA 0.4 mi SW from station.

I think you may be confusing Little Tokyo with Chinatown. Phillipe is next to Chinatown, and on the north edge of LAUS. Little Tokyo is in the opposite direction from LAUS.

I think you may be confusing Little Tokyo with Chinatown. Phillipe is next to Chinatown, and on the north edge of LAUS. Little Tokyo is in the opposite direction from LAUS.
That's why I called it a dogleg as you have make a round about to get to the good stuff if Little Tokyo is the ultimate destination. If you eat first, then you have the opportunity to walk it off but if you eat last, then you have the opportunity to build up a good appetite from all the walking. Either way it's a win-win :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back