Downeaster Trip to Portland

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dan72

Lead Service Attendant
Next July when I am in Boston, I am planning on a side trip to Portland, ME for the day and will be taking the Downeaster. Right now, I'm planning on taking the first train out of Boston and the last train back out of Portland, so I'll have a good 7 hours or so there.

One question I have is how far is the station from downtown? I looked on Google Maps and it looks like it's a couple of miles. If so, how is transportation (taxis, etc.) to get back and forth. Anybody have any experiences with this?

Any other suggestions as for things to see, do, and eat at?

Thanks!

Dan

I'm not sure of the exact distances from the station to downtown, but there are always cabs and local public buses at the station, so it's not too hard to get downtown. Just make sure to allow enough time to get back to the station.

You may find this page from the NNEPRA helpful, as it provides maps and other info regarding the station. The NNEPRA is the organization charged with managing the Downeaster service.

Next July when I am in Boston, I am planning on a side trip to Portland, ME for the day and will be taking the Downeaster. Right now, I'm planning on taking the first train out of Boston and the last train back out of Portland, so I'll have a good 7 hours or so there.
One question I have is how far is the station from downtown? I looked on Google Maps and it looks like it's a couple of miles. If so, how is transportation (taxis, etc.) to get back and forth. Anybody have any experiences with this?

Any other suggestions as for things to see, do, and eat at?

Thanks!

Dan
When I was there last year, I got a local bus downtown but I got a cab back, as that was easier than trying to find where the bus went from and at what time, and the I didn't want to miss the last train back to Boston. If you do this, make sure you know where to get a taxi from, or can get someone to call you one.

Thanks for the links and ideas! As long as there is an option available (taxi or bus), that will work out great. Thanks!

Dan

I'm planning a day trip when I am in Boston in September too.

Definitely visit the Downeaster webpage - they have some great offers, including two-for-one tickets etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to confirm that there is a city bus service to downtown. It looks like it's about a mile to me. Congress St. is the main drag downtown, and you will want to check out the Old Port District, which is close to the waterfront area which is always interesting.

I live about 2 hours north of Portland and don't get there as often as I'd like. It's a cool town, Maine's biggest city. A really good place to eat is Fore Street, located - err guess where - on Fore St. of course. A very cool bar on Congress St. is called Blue, and has some great music at times. I guess you'll be gone by the time the band starts though :)

Have fun! It's a great train ride on the Downeaster.

David

I've been twice on the Downeaster. It's a nice ride, though I've found that the passengers tend to be a bit rowdy. It may be that they're excited for a baseball game (Sea Dogs) but many spend plenty of time drinking in the Cafe Car. Not my style, but I did meet a nice lady going to Old Saco by train to save on gas.

The #5 bus, which picks up just to the side of the station is the easiest way to get downtown (about 10 mins). Just make sure you have exact change for the $1.25 bus fare. I'd say, get off the bus when you see it's more populated with people, shops, and restaurants. It's a great city to wander. I love the Portland Lobster Co. which is along the waterfront area. They have awesome food and a great outdoor deck overlooking the boats. Another interesting place is Soakology (http://www.soakology.com/) It's not only a foot spa (I didn't go for that), but it's a really great teahouse with a very wide selection of unique teas.

Enjoy!

Can you upgrade to Business Class on the train?

The supplement is about $8 each, but they won't let me use it in conjunction with the 2-for-1 voucher, so if I want the half price offer I have to book coach class.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back