Downeaster baggage question - important/need to know asap

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SJean

Hello all. I am traveling tomorrow on a downeaster train to Maine from Massachusetts. I do not want to have to carry more than one bag, as it would be hard for me to manage that after I get to my destination. I have a rolling duffel with the dimensions: 30' w X 16' h x 14.25' d. Until this point I just figured that it wouldn't be a problem, as if they wouldn't allow me to carry it on, I would simply check it. However the station does not allowing checked baggage, so my question is, would I be able to get this duffel on as a carry on? Will it fit in the overhead bins, or will I be allowed to have it in front of me in the seat as long as I wasn't blocking the seat to the side of me? I am unsure as to what I can do, as I will also be carrying a backpack. Two bags are all I can handle, and this is the only bag I have available.

If it uses the same kind of cars that are used on the NEC, there will be an area at one end of the car where you can "park" your bag.

I don't see why it would be an issue. I've never heard of Amtrak conductors breaking out a tape measure. I thought the biggest issue would be if it's crowded or if it's obviously too big. I'd just use it and claim ignorance if they feel it's too big.

I think that technically as a worst case scenario, they might make you buy a full-priced ticket for the luggage, but that's unlikely.

a 30-foot wide bad... Amtrak's going to have trouble putting that anywhere, much less as carry on.

I presume it's actually 30 inches. I should fit in the overhead "shelf" if you want to lug it up over your head into one. All Amtrak cars also have an open luggage self on one end of the car (lower level on the superliners, but you don't need to worry about them). Which your bag will easily fit into, provided it isn't full. If it is full & you can't lift it up into the bin, try to sit in the front row of seats, there is space in front of them you can put it.

If its a NER type car, there's no shelf at the end if the car, just floor space.

The Downeaster uses Amfleets and has a Cafe/BC Car with 2X1 Seating so there is Plenty of Room for Luggage! Nice Folks on this Route, all of Amtraks OBS and Ops People should be so Good! ;)

Thank you all so much. And yes, it is in inches, I apologize :blush:

Just remember that unlike on a plane, the overhead baggage racks are open and large. (Only on Acela are they closed like on a plane.) And if the train is not crowded, you can use the seat and/or floor space next to you.

The only time they measure or weight a bag is if it's checked. Unless a carry on is very oversized or very overweight, you will not be questioned.

Just remember that unlike on a plane, the overhead baggage racks are open and large. (Only on Acela are they closed like on a plane.) And if the train is not crowded, you can use the seat and/or floor space next to you.
The only time they measure or weight a bag is if it's checked. Unless a carry on is very oversized or very overweight, you will not be questioned.
There is at least one other exception, and it really depends on which car model.

Most of the California Cars have large open bins that reach the ceiling and can accomodate really long items. However, some do have the airliner style bins that close with an unlocked latch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back