Double-checking carry-on policies

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dan72

Lead Service Attendant
During part of my trip in July, I won't be able to use checked baggage as I will be taking the Acela from Boston to NYP, then the Empire Service to Rochester. I'll be First Class on Acela and Business on the Empire Service. I'm have one 28" suitcase and one 21" suitcase that looks like a backback. In addition, I'll also have a backback for my camera equipment. Am I going to run into trouble with this? So far, I haven't, but could see the NEC enforcing policies bit differently. I'd really hate to be told at 7:00 a.m. that I can't do this and have to either make a second run to the Rochester station or have to switch to a much later LSL.

I did read the policies at Amtrak.com, but it did not address cameras.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks much!

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
The standard answer is, can you board the train and get to your seat all your luggage and backpack, without causing a problem? Can you get thru the door, turn corners, and walk down the isle without getting "stuck"?

The standard answer is, can you board the train and get to your seat all your luggage and backpack, without causing a problem? Can you get thru the door, turn corners, and walk down the isle without getting "stuck"?
I've spotted luggage stowage areas on both Amfleets and Acelas before, so if those are still available, then I would say yes. Plus, I can lash up my smaller suitcase with my larger one, no problem.

But hey, if I'm wrong, I'd rather know about it now.

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
The main question is - Can you easily carry all the bags yourself without asking an employee for assistance? :huh:

If you do not check baggage and can carry them yourself, then the staff will not give you problems. If the bag is 1/2" oversized or 2 lbs over limit, and you can carry it without struggling, I'd say it's OK. If it is a 6 foot long bag that needs 2 people to carry it, they may question that.

You will be fine. I, friends of mine, and family members have brought almost absurd quantities of luggage aboard Amtrak without ever being hassled. Between three boxes of checked baggage and numerous carry-ons, my parents actually moved my sister out to college via Amtrak. As others have said, as long as you can carry it on yourself, you're good to go. Based on your description, I wouldn't have a second thought about it.

Dan,

I would think that the backpack containing the cameras would fall under this provision:

Not included in this limit are personal items such as purses, briefcases, laptop computers, baby items such as strollers, diaper bags and car seats, and equipment required for a passenger's medical condition such as breathing assistance devices and oxygen tanks.
While it's not a laptop for example, it is a special breakable personal item.

One thing that you might want to do though would be to get a redcap to help you with your luggage. They'll just take the two suitcases and no one at the gate who might be checking things would even be the wiser. And in NYP, since you'll need to ride the escalator down to the track level if you don't have a Redcap, you might just find it easier to retain one than to try to wrestle both bags onto the escalator.

Plus in both case you'll be out to the train before the crowds and won't have to stand in line either.

Dan,
I would think that the backpack containing the cameras would fall under this provision:

Not included in this limit are personal items such as purses, briefcases, laptop computers, baby items such as strollers, diaper bags and car seats, and equipment required for a passenger's medical condition such as breathing assistance devices and oxygen tanks.
While it's not a laptop for example, it is a special breakable personal item.

One thing that you might want to do though would be to get a redcap to help you with your luggage. They'll just take the two suitcases and no one at the gate who might be checking things would even be the wiser. And in NYP, since you'll need to ride the escalator down to the track level if you don't have a Redcap, you might just find it easier to retain one than to try to wrestle both bags onto the escalator.

Plus in both case you'll be out to the train before the crowds and won't have to stand in line either.
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Alan, I'm glad to see that my interpretation of the policy above was in line with yours. I like the redcap idea as well. I the past, I hadn't been hassled on this since my camera bad, well, looked like a camera bag. Now that it looks like a backpack, that's where my concern came from. Thanks again!

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back