does Surfliner have fare buckets?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

john h

Service Attendant
Just curious is it always $15 from LA Union station to Anaheim coach, or does the price change?

I am traveling on a Sunday and I see no reason to pay in advance but since I do not live in California just wondering if any disadvantage to buying when I arrive

Hacking around on Amtrak's website, it seems that LA-Anaheim is $18 for coach tickets today and tomorrow. By Friday, the fare drops to $15, so I'm guessing it's a two-day window for the lowest fares.

Always the same price except on holidays when they'll raise things slightly; it doesn't change whether you purchase it 30 days or 30 minutes in advance.

Thanks all

EDIT

Just discovered Metrolink Orange Line appears to be cheaper, so I guess thats an option too

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all

EDIT

Just discovered Metrolink Orange Line appears to be cheaper, so I guess thats an option too
Yeah its also FREE most of the time since the ticket machines are always broken. The official ticket these days for Metrolink is a picture on your phone of the machine not working.

Since the Surfliners are mostly unreserved. The fares are the same unless it's a peak period of travel e.g. Friday's and Sunday's. Some holiday's fares go up, e.g. Thanksgiving, Christmas.

Since the Surfliners are mostly unreserved. The fares are the same unless it's a peak period of travel e.g. Friday's and Sunday's. Some holiday's fares go up, e.g. Thanksgiving, Christmas.
Fares go up on Holiday weekends such as three day weekends and such but NOT for regular Friday's and Sunday's. Fares are in general stable throughout the year. If you want a discount, then your going to have to purchase it 3 days in advance.

Metrolink also offers one-half adult fare for seniors 65 and older.

I buy my Anaheim to LA tickets three days in advance, with AAA discount, for $13.50. If I purchase them later than that, it's $15, except for holiday travel. The Surfliner can get really crowded on a holiday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back