Does one HAVE to lower the beds at night for roomettes?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When traveling alone, I leave the lower area intact and sleep in the upper bunk.

I was told by one SCA that he wanted to prepare the sleeping bunk, mainly because

he wants the safety netting in place for liability reasons.

I have also left the seats in place and slept in the top bunk in a bedroom.

I have to admit I've never slept in an upper roomette bunk, but don't you have to undo the safety netting to get in and out? I guess not or else what the SCA said makes no sense.
The netting clips to the ceiling, and the fabric is a lot like a seatbelt. When you pull the upper bunk down, the netting is generally laying flat (tucked in) underneath the mattress for the lower bunk. IMO, it would be a huge pain to get in/out of the top bunk with the netting in place. You'd have to crawl in face-first and then somehow manage to turn around.

Last edited by a moderator:
When traveling alone, I leave the lower area intact and sleep in the upper bunk.

I was told by one SCA that he wanted to prepare the sleeping bunk, mainly because

I have to admit I've never slept in an upper roomette bunk, but don't you have to undo the safety netting to get in and out? I guess not or else what the SCA said makes no sense.
When climbing Into or Out of the Top Bunk in a Superliner Roomette at least one of the Straps needs to be unhooked to make it possible, it's still a hassle but better than falling out in the middle of the night on Rough Tracks! Viewliner Roomettes are alot easier since there is Lots more Room in the Top Bunk but you still want to use the Safety Strap for the above stated reasons!

When climbing Into or Out of the Top Bunk in a Superliner Roomette at least one of the Straps needs to be unhooked to make it possible, it's still a hassle but better than falling out in the middle of the night on Rough Tracks! Viewliner Roomettes are alot easier since there is Lots more Room in the Top Bunk but you still want to use the Safety Strap for the above stated reasons!
As I said, I never have used an uppe rroomette bunk, but it looks to be trivial to unhook the safety straps, then refasten them. If so, the the SCA's comment may have constituted yet another example of making up rules on the fly. Or maybe the SCA just wanted to make sure the passenger knew how to set up the straps. I've never fallen out of a bunk on a train. But on a ship, that's a whiole different story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back