Does Apple 12W USB adapter work on Amtrak?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lthanlon

OBS Chief
In the past when traveling in a roomette or in coach, I've been able to plug in my Apple 5W USB adapter without problem. This is the little square one. I'm wondering whether the somewhat larger 12W adapter fits, as well. In the past, I've brought along an extender in case an adapter wouldn't fit flush with an Amtrak outlet, but never needed to use one.

In coach large adapters are never a problem. I generally carry my MacBook and just the 60W large brick with an adaptor just for the wall an not the heavier extension cord that fits in the adaptor too. I think I've plugged by computer fine into the outlets on Superliner II roometts. I guess Superliner I roomettes might be more of a challenge since the outlet doesn't stick out like in IIs. I haven't been in a Superliner I in a while and I still haven't ridden in a Viewliner.

In coach large adapters are never a problem. I generally carry my MacBook and just the 60W large brick with an adaptor just for the wall an not the heavier extension cord that fits in the adaptor too. I think I've plugged by computer fine into the outlets on Superliner II roometts. I guess Superliner I roomettes might be more of a challenge since the outlet doesn't stick out like in IIs. I haven't been in a Superliner I in a while and I still haven't ridden in a Viewliner.
Thanks for the info!

I'm using my 12 watt charger in my roomette connected to my iPad as I write this reply. Works, no problem.

A Montanan who enjoys train travel.

I guess Superliner I roomettes might be more of a challenge since the outlet doesn't stick out like in IIs. I haven't been in a Superliner I in a while and I still haven't ridden in a Viewliner.
I can verify that the 12W adapter will not plug directly into a recessed Superliner I outlet, because there's not enough clearance for it -- you need an extension cord of some sort.

I'm riding in a super liner roomette. There are probably different plug configurations though because my 12w charger plugs in with no difficulties.

A Montanan who enjoys train travel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back