Does anybody actually LIKE traveling in coach?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another sleeper passenger asked me one time, "why do you travel sleeper?" I couldn't think of any better answer than, "because I can".

In the single level viewliners, if you're laying on the lower berth and looking at the portion of the ceiling that isn't obscured by the upper bunk, it's quite far away; the height difference from the lower berth to the ceiling on the train may be greater than the distance from the top of my bed to the ceiling at home. To me, that actually makes the train feel spacious.

For all people recommend meeting other passengers, I found that after a couple of intense days with family, time alone in a roomette is a wonderful break from people.

We've gone on both coach and sleeper. It doesn't make me a difference, as long as I'm on a train. Donna prefers the privacy of the sleeper, but we leave the door open anyway - go figure.

The only problem I find with coach is that on a crowded train, the restrooms can get messy, and you have to wait your turn.

I have a problem sleeping sitting, so I don't sleep well in coach.

As far as being looked down upon, no way.

Have a great trip which ever way you go.

I really liked Joel's last reply. :) I'm as outgoing as you can get. I have a job where my social skills has saved my backside many of times. I'm am considered a social butterfly. I know, I know...everyone says this BUT when I have had my fill of social butterflyness (is there a word) I become literally almost a hermit over night. I don't want to talk to anyone, call anyone answer the phone or see an e-mail. So the sleeper car gives me almost perfect respite from "talking to the whole train" to getting some much needed privacy and shutting the world off and going to "Railfan LNKland". :lol: Thats another thing I like about travelling Amtrak, when I have had my fill of visiting with someone, I usually stick my hand out and say, "its been so nice visiting with you, I need to go get a soda and head back to my sleeper" that way no one feels like I'm cutting out on them etc.

I usually travel alone :( , and because the cost of the sleeper is the same for 1 or 2 people, I normally go coach. (If I'm with someone, I may consider a sleeper - the meals justify the extra cost for 2.)
Personally, if you're considering the CZ, you may want to consider taking a sleeper for the 1st night out of CHI and go coach for the 2nd night. The reason is (nothing personal) between CHI and DEN is boring flat plains. West of DEN (starting on the 2nd morning), you will probably (or should) be in the Sightseer Lounge for much of the day - as this is the VERY scenic portion! :)
I personally think that you should keep your eyes open for the whole thing, no matter how flat or unchanging. We were 7 hours late and leaving SLC at 6am. I stayed up in the viewliner for the whole desert ride. Because of that not only did I see the Salt Lake and Salt Flats and pretty cool mountain swithbacks, I saw a desert rabbitt and coyote, as well as a fox in Denver. So don't ever write off the scrubland! And I had a good travel storey for this delay. Everyone had just eaten the emmergency mael of beef stew. It was just dark. My hand was on the bathroom handle when . . . the power went out and the bathrooms closed sign came on, no kidding. I decided not to toy with fate and as such returned to my coach seat. We were stuck on Donner pass, at 10:30p in the Dark (plus emergency lights). And we sat, with no announcment for . . . 1 hr. Turns out it was a lost power conection to the private car. Also, the last coach car was apperently, pretty POed, because the docent had the conducter go back there because they were "giving him heat".

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, if you're considering the CZ, you may want to consider taking a sleeper for the 1st night out of CHI and go coach for the 2nd night. The reason is (nothing personal) between CHI and DEN is boring flat plains. West of DEN (starting on the 2nd morning), you will probably (or should) be in the Sightseer Lounge for much of the day - as this is the VERY scenic portion! :)
I personally think that you should keep your eyes open for the whole thing, no matter how flat or unchanging. We were 7 hours late and leaving SLC at 6am. I stayed up in the viewliner for the whole desert ride. Because of that not only did I see the Salt Lake and Salt Flats and pretty cool mountain swithbacks, I saw a desert rabbitt and coyote, as well as a fox in Denver. So don't ever write off the scrubland!
I lived in the Mojave Desert for 7 years, so I agree with you. But what I meant was that given a choice of an overnight in the sleeper between CHI and DEN (through the plains) or an overnight in the sleeper between DEN and EMY (through the mountains and desert, when you may not be in your room much), I would chose CHI to DEN for the sleeper!

Aloha

Well I hadn't planed in chiming in but travel is so interesting, beyond check in headaches, so If coach fits I enjoy coach.

I just got back from my first LD trip, mostly on the CL. On the way to CHI, we had two roomettes for my wife, child and I. On the way back, we went coach. A trip report will follow in the Travel-logs section shortly!

My sleep was pretty dismal in both a bed and a chair, but I think that had more to do with the excitement of the trip, and also due to the fact that I've never had to sleep in a real train before (although I've done it on commuter trains, but that is completely different). I travel about an hour every day to and from work on the bus, and can usually fall asleep, so I wasn't worried about sleeping in coach. However, I was quite sore throughout the night, and I think this was a big reason why I couldn't sleep/

We had a much better time in the sleepers, and would probably opt to go this route in the future. However, if we booked round trip sleepers, it would have cost much more than flying!

And yes, I did get stuck sitting next to the guy who talks in his sleep. Made for a very, um, interesting ride back east.

We were 7 hours late and leaving SLC at 6am. I stayed up in the viewliner for the whole desert ride.
Viewliner cars are the single level sleepers. I don't think you typically find a train with single level sleepers going to Salt Lake City.
I used the wrong phrase. I meant to say the observation/lounge car. Won't you please forgive me;-)

If I don't have at the very least a roomette booked, I don't set foot on an overnight train. Period, end of paragraph.

Don't have a problem with riding the all-coach 350s, 360s, and 370s that operate in and out of my home state/town, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back