Does a string backpack count as another piece?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Guest_Gingee

I was wondering if we bring a small backpack (if you want to call it a backpack) on the train besides our two large suitcases. This is a flat backpack and then you pull a string and it closes. The kids usually use these. Would this be allowed with our other suitcases? Also, my husband has a sleep apnea machine. That doesn't count as part of the two suitcases, does it?

Thanks

I'd say that you'd probably get away with the backpacks, especially if you don't overload them.

The sleep apnea machine is a medical device and won't be counted. You might be asked to open it so the conductor can verify what it is, but that should be it.

People who travel with oxygen tanks don't have them counted as luggage either.

Thanks Alan. I knew I could count on you for a answer. Well the big trip is coming up two weeks from tomorrow.

Please let us know how the CPAP/BIPAP worked out while on the train. That would be handy info to know for those of use who have a doctor trying to badger us into using one.

I don't think my husband will use it on the train. Probably no outlet anyhow.

Guest_Gingee said:
I don't think my husband will use it on the train. Probably no outlet anyhow.
In coach, you may or may not get lucky enough to find an outlet.

However for the person who asked the question about the bipap, if you have a sleeper then you will have an outlet. You migh wish to bring along a surge protector, both to protect your equipment and to act as an extension cord.

Back