Do You Remember When?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrFSS

Engineer
Honored Member
Found this old Amtrak Postcard in an antique store (Is Amtrak old enough to be an antique?) and wondered if anyone remembers the way the Coast Starlight was in the beginning, or perhaps rode it this way.

coast.jpg

I remember a pre-Amtrak trip, about 1965, I guess. The Seattle to Portland was a separate train (which did not have a name, only a number), The Portland to SF, overnight, was a separate train--I think it was called the Cascade. The Coast Daylight(I think it was called) was a day train from SF (proper, via San Jose) to LA. I was in coach on the first, roomette on the second. On the day train from SF (proper, not Oakland or something) to LA I was in a parlor seat in a rounded rear observation car.

One of the neatest things Amtrak did was create a train which tied all those legs together. Of course it runs hours late. In fact, at first the "new" Amtrak train ran from Seattle all the way to San Diego. But the increasing lateness of the LA-SD route made it unworkable for short distance commutes, so they started terminating in LA.

Bill Haithcoat said:
One of the neatest things Amtrak did was create a train which tied all those legs together. Of course it runs hours late.
Hmm, maybe there is a reason the railroads never ran a Seattle-Los Angeles/San Diego through train... <_<

Actually, there were only 3 trains a day LA-SD, and there was plenty of 90mph running. The problem was likely the same as today - StarLATE was too undependable getting into LA to have time for thru cars to go to SD and come back the next day.

I rode a Coast starlight that was similar in 1977. Though it had a full length dome, and a few more dome coaches on it. I think this picture was taken between Oakland and Martinez, where the tracks run next to the bay.

MrFSS said:
think this picture was taken between Oakland and Martinez, where the tracks run next to the bay.
Would you have an idea of the date of this picture?
My family took a trip west in 1974, and I vaguely recall seeing this post card on sale in the station. We might have even bought one. As far as who's E unit, I was only 8 and would not have known to ask. LOL.

Ironically, on the 74 trip, we were to ride the coast starlight up to LA , but we missed it and had to ride up through Bakersfield. I remember the cab driver getting lost looking for the station at 16th street in Oakland. We could actually see the Starlight leaving. My sister and I argued about whether the train was arriving or leaving. Of course I was the optimist and she was right. So . . . I did not get to ride the starlight until 1977.

Back