do people buy sleeping rooms for 14-hour ride in daytime?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Prior to this thread, it's been a while since "non berth" service came up. Someone refresh my memory, please: is it less expensive to book non-berth service than to book regular service in the same room? If so, by what ballpark percentage?

What is a non-berth service? Never heard of it before.

When I travel by roomette I sure make use of the berth even during the daytime, specially the upper berth in Viewliners. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I realize babies cry and that we were all babies at one point, but that doesn't make it any less noisy and annoying. I can't stand that justification. Noise is noise is noise, no matter why or how or who. I don't blame the baby or the parents, but it's still annoying, just like loud cell phone conversations and people who don't use headphones with their electronics.

Shutting out the sound of a baby's cries (or cell phones, or laptops...) in a roomette is infinitely easier than shutting out the sound in Coach. I speak from experience.

When I travel by roomette I sure make use of the berth even during the daytime, specially the upper berth in Viewliners. :)
Non-berth service is when you have a room and all the bennies of sleeper service except that the seats have to remain seats, ie, no converting of seats into beds allowed. Maximum room occupancy is sometimes higher for non-berth service— For example, you can stuff four adults into a Superliner bedroom (3 on the couch, one on the chair) and all four are entitled to meals. Non-berth service isn't determined by time of day but by use of the room.

Non-berth service is when you have a room and all the bennies of sleeper service except that the seats have to remain seats, ie, no converting of seats into beds allowed. Maximum room occupancy is sometimes higher for non-berth service— For example, you can stuff four adults into a Superliner bedroom (3 on the couch, one on the chair) and all four are entitled to meals. Non-berth service isn't determined by time of day but by use of the room.
There is no non-berth service on Amtrak. You buy the room, not the berth or the seat individually in sleepers.

The blue book disagrees.

Blue_Book_Non_Berth.png

You're correct that you still but the whole room, it just adjusts the max number of people they'll ticket into the room if you promise that you're not going to use the beds (no idea how that gets enforced, however).

The blue book disagrees.
You're correct that you still but the whole room, it just adjusts the max number of people they'll ticket into the room if you promise that you're not going to use the beds (no idea how that gets enforced, however).
Ah OK thanks for clarifying that. I stand corrected. Anyway, for me it is almost always exactly one person, no matter whether it is a roomette or a family room. There are a very few rare occasions during OTOL or AU trips where a friend who would otherwise be alone in Coach is added on as a co-traveler in my room. So no wonder I had never considered that possibility. :p

There is no non-berth service on Amtrak. You buy the room, not the berth or the seat individually in sleepers.
The non-berth service is generally used only when coach is sold out. It happens on holiday weekends on 11/14 between Portland and Seattle (after coach and all the Cascades trains have sold out).

I just bought a day room from AUS to FTW for next week! The charge for a roomette was only $46! I'll get two meals too!
Nice snag Chris,(and of course if you had someone with you for the 20+ Rail Fare it would be even more of a Deal! ;) ) the usual Upgrade is like $68 due to the Eagles running Full most days! We did this to/from the Mini-Gathering in DFW last Jan. even if we did miss out on Lunch when we were Bustituted between DAL and FTW!

I just bought a day room from AUS to FTW for next week! The charge for a roomette was only $46! I'll get two meals too!
Nice snag Chris,(and of course if you had someone with you for the 20+ Rail Fare it would be even more of a Deal! ;) ) the usual Upgrade is like $68 due to the Eagles running Full most days! We did this to/from the Mini-Gathering in DFW last Jan. even if we did miss out on Lunch when we were Bustituted between DAL and FTW!
Somebody trying to get an invite? :giggle:

Last edited by a moderator:
Bought a roomette on Southern Railway in 1978 NOL-BHM, so that I could get a little sleep after staying up all night at NOUPT connecting from a very late Sunset Ltd. Price of the accommodation was $12.

Bought a roomette on Southern Railway in 1978 NOL-BHM, so that I could get a little sleep after staying up all night at NOUPT connecting from a very late Sunset Ltd. Price of the accommodation was $12.
Great deal! That would've been only around $35-$40 in today's money! You can't get close to that these days, it would've costed me a lot more if I did it on BHM-NOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back