Distance from NOLA station to the Quarter?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CoachSlumber

Lead Service Attendant
Can anyone tell me how far it is from New Orleans station to the part of Canal by the Quarter (say, where the big Marriott is)? Is taxi the only way?

New Orleans has opened a new a streetcar line from Union Passenger Terminal to the French Quarter, the Loyola Route.

http://exploreneworleans.info/html/streetcars.php

I don't know which Marriot you are referring to, but you should be able to answer your own question with the streetcar map and a Google search for Marriot.

Of course the streetcar is the nicest way to travel. Before the streetcar opened I walked it several times. I can't remember the exact distance but it never struck me as a particularly long trek.

It's about a mile on the nose if you're talking about the Marriott on Poyrdas or the JW Marriott. They are across from each other. Cab or walking is the best bet. The line the poster above is referring to will only take about half the journey off.

If you're just looking to go to the quarter in general, then yes, the Loyola street car will be fine.

Can you bring luggage onto the streetcar? I will have a checked luggage 25" tall.

The Quarter is about 1.25 miles - about a $10 cab fare. When you get off they line up in front of the station and they pop you in by the order of the cabs. I will only use United Cab when I'm in NOLA, they ten to have the best drivers and cabs. Call 504-522-9771 or 504-524-9606 one driver I like is Carol Petite; funny as hell lady and a great driver - really honest.

Can anyone tell me how far it is from New Orleans station to the part of Canal by the Quarter (say, where the big Marriott is)? Is taxi the only way?
I live in New Orleans. You can take the streetcar from the Amtrak station directly to the Marriott on Canal. Very easy. The streetcar in is right outside the front and to the right. Board the next train and it'll turn down Canal after going down Loyola. Pretty much all of the part along Canal will be the French Quarter that your street car runs on. Cab is easiest, but if you're cheap like me, take the streetcar. It's 2nd easiest.

I live in New Orleans. You can take the streetcar from the Amtrak station directly to the Marriott on Canal. Very easy. The streetcar in is right outside the front and to the right. Board the next train and it'll turn down Canal after going down Loyola. Pretty much all of the part along Canal will be the French Quarter that your street car runs on. Cab is easiest, but if you're cheap like me, take the streetcar. It's 2nd easiest.
Thanks. Yes, I am cheap, but I like the streetcar as well!

Round trip CUS/NOLA next March. On arriving at NOLA, it's on to a taxi for us and right to the Royal Sonesta. No muss. No fuss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back