Dinner Selections

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amtrak Watcher

Lead Service Attendant
Refering to Jon Stein's re-formated Amtrak Diner Menu, what are your favorites, and what would you like to see added.

As for me, I like the Gardenburger and the Tuna Snack (kit) in the snack bar. In the dinner I prefer the 2-egg breakfast with "egg substitute" (only Amtrak knows how to prepare fake eggs properly), the Chicken Ceasar Salad for lunch, and the Vegetable Lasagna with some wine for supper.

I wish the Gardenburger was avaible in the diner for lunch again, and a paste salad would be nice for dinner.

Eucch! Give me MEAT! LOL!

Breakfast: Two Eggs with BACON!

Lunch: Black Angus STEAK BURGER! (no cheese)

Dinner: Filet Mignon

Corona w/Lime with all meals. ;)

I like the prime rib and/or seafood for dinner. I like the french toast with bacon for breakfast. For lunch I would like to see more hot meal varieties.

Yes!

DAY TWO...

Breakfast: French toast w/BACON!

Lunch: Chicken Caesar Salad

Dinner: Filet Mignon

Corona w/Lime with all meals.

Whatever happend to the chicken breast sandwich for lunch?

Anybody else miss the TURTLE PIES??? Da Mousse is good, but the TURTLE PIES were the best!

SNACKBAR: WHITE CASTLES w/mayo, mustard, and relish.

I'm jealous! My girlfriend's daughter is boarding the Zephyr in Sacramento in a few minutes and riding to Green River, where I'll pick her up Tomorrow morning. I wonder what she's eating???

I'm getting hungry just reading the menu!!!

HONORABLE MENTION: to the Brook Trout

Three Cheers for the Amtrak Chefs and Servers, in my opinion, they do a GREAT JOB!

For dinner I'l say with the Filet Mignon, Pepsi, Italian salad dressing in the salad, and some coffee and some apple pie as I haven't had anything on board since April.

The Breakfast is the two eggs scrambled with hash browns, and the biscuit. with some OJ and Coffee.

For Lunch, I'd say the Chicken Caesar Salad with a pepsi.

My favorite breakfast used to be the great biscuits and gravy that they served on the Empire Builder, but that went away with the new national menus. :( So, from the current menu, I like the french toast for breakfast and the Black Angus steakburgers (WITH cheese and bacon!) for lunch. Supper's a big toss-up, because I like both the steak and the salmon that is served on the Builder pretty equally. The cheesecake is a fantastic dessert, though I did hear that the mousse was absolutely fantastic.

WM: Corona w/ lime for ALL meals? I like your style. As my dad liked to (jokingly) say: Beer - it's not just for breakfast anymore. :D

For me:

Breakfast - The Continental w/ croissant, fruit, yogurt, tea, and orange juice

Lunch - Chicken Ceasar w/ iced tea and apple pie a la mode

Dinner - Salad (french dressing), Filet Mignon (but now it sounds like the regional seafood dish is quite good) w/ iced tea and chocolate mouse cake (no whiped cream, a la mode)

If I'm on an Acela Regional I will usually get a Salad from home or south station to eat on board, but I'll wil sometimes get a salad, soup, or sandwich in the cafe. I avoid soda because it will turn me into a human balloon with all the motion. Another one of my favorite drinks from the lounge is the Bloody Mary (without the vodka). B)

I've always been a french toast lover, so for me there is no choice on board. It's always Railroad French Toast, with sausage, OJ, & coffee.

Lunch, so far all I've tried has been the Turkey Club. Considering that I was rather sick at the time, it still seemed pretty good. I'd probably also try the Angus burger with bacon & cheese, just like EB. Plus the lasagna doesn't sound to bad. No Pepsi for me though, I can't stand it. I'll take a Slice please.

For dinner the Filet Mignon is pretty good, assuming that the chef gets it right. I've also had the Catfish twice and it was quite good both times. Dinner always comes with wine, and cheesecake for dessert.

My menu goes a little something like this:

Breakfast-Pancakes and bacon with juice or Pepsi (depending on how I feel, although I don't usually eat breakfast on board due to my McDonalds run on the way over towards the station)

Lunch-Lasagna or Chicken Pot Pie with a Pepsi

Dinner-Chicken w/o the Barbeque Sauce, Mashed Potatoes, and the vegetables. If I have time for dessert (it is only a 45 minute run from WTH-SBG) I'll get Ice Cream, Pepsi to drink of course.

On the rare ocassion that I eat from the lounge I'll usually have a bag of chips or a corn muffin, there's something that freaks me out about the $3.00 microwave pizzas, I don't know what it is.

Those pizzas are truly absolutely disgusting. For they are microwaved which makes the crust chewing and hard to cut, secondly the cheese does not melt fully, and last the pepperonis are a brown color and have a sour taste to them. I tried it once and never plan to try it again.

Alan B., like you I go for the old fashioned railroad French toast. But when I took a circle trip in August, I felt something was "missing" about the French toast...it did not seem as large or fluffy or tasty as usual? Did you notice that on your recent trip?

I do like the steak or prime rib, when done correctly, which is most of the time.

I am not too much into wine, but as for cheesecake.....well.....I learned to eat that on the train. I was on the s.b. Crescent one night many years ago, it was 3 or 4 hours late (due to engine trouble in Baltimore) we were going over the Potomac, southbound about midnight, the diner was wide open still for business and I was having my first taste of strawberry cheescake.Been sold on it ever since.

They kept the diner open that late because at that time the train did not have a full diner NYC-DC;(just a snack car) the full diner was put on in DC(Southern Railroad, before Amtrak) and saavy people knew to wait for the "real food".

But there is a real question in all my rambling----what about the french toast? Do you think it is as good as it used to be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back