Dinner question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Teamfour

Train Attendant
I am leaving tomorrow on the southbound Crescent out of WAS at 6:30pm. Will I be served dinner after boarding or should I eat something before?

Are you in a sleeper or coach?

If sleeper, then yes you should get dinner out of WAS on the Crescent. If you're in coach, it'll depend on just how busy the train is, and therefore how busy the diner is.

Am I understanding that if you have a sleeper, you are first in line for 3-meals a day (pre-paid) and if you are in coach, there is a chance that on a full train you could not get to sit down in the diner car for your meals?

Thanks,

David

Are you in a sleeper or coach?
If sleeper, then yes you should get dinner out of WAS on the Crescent. If you're in coach, it'll depend on just how busy the train is, and therefore how busy the diner is.
Sorry. I should have mentioned I have a roomette. Thanks Alan.

I have a related question....

Is it possible to get room service and have the meals in my bedroom? I know Amtrak does this for handicapped passengers in hadicapped bedroom.....

if this is not possible, will they allow me to bring the dinner back to my bedroom by myself?

thanks! :)

Is it possible to get room service and have the meals in my bedroom? I know Amtrak does this for handicapped passengers in hadicapped bedroom.....
Yes. Just ask your sleeping car attendant. Of course, a good tip would be expected for the personal service.

if this is not possible, will they allow me to bring the dinner back to my bedroom by myself?
Sometimes you can, and sometimes you can't. There doesn't seem to be a strict rule that all dining car personal follow. Personally, I have brought coffee and desert back to my room many times.

Am I understanding that if you have a sleeper, you are first in line for 3-meals a day (pre-paid) and if you are in coach, there is a chance that on a full train you could not get to sit down in the diner car for your meals?
Thanks,

David
Your understanding is perfect.

I have seen it happen on a very full train were coach passengers were completely shut out of the dining car for lunch and dinner. Their only chance at getting into the diner was for breakfast where reservations aren't taken, it's first come first served.

But on the CZ two years ago, by the time the dining car steward handed out a reservation to everyone in a sleeper wanting dinner, he was giving out 10:00 PM seatings to the final people and no one in coach had a chance.

Sometimes you can, and sometimes you can't. There doesn't seem to be a strict rule that all dining car personal follow. Personally, I have brought coffee and desert back to my room many times.
Bringing back things like coffee and desert is fine. However, if you want the complete meal, your sleeper attendant will bring it for you. But part of the train experience is going to the diner for meals and meeting others! :D

Bringing back things like coffee and desert is fine. However, if you want the complete meal, your sleeper attendant will bring it for you. But part of the train experience is going to the diner for meals and meeting others! :D
maybe the MAJOR disadvantage of being disabled and riding Amtrak, dinner in the diner and meeting folks like the "Traveler"

Bob

Hello All,

Actually, I have a somewhat related question: Is there a way I can get the menus in advance of my trip(s)? I hesitate to ask for diabetic meals as I learned the hard way on Alaska Air (in first class, MVPGold no less) that the diabetic offering was almost always unrelated to current dietary recommendations, and always fell short of the regular fare. My table mates and I got horrid breakfast service on a recent Empire Builder trip - so much so I'd decided to eat all my meals in my handicapped cabin on my next trip - but am re-thinking that decision.

Thanks for your suggestions, WTR

Hello All,Actually, I have a somewhat related question: Is there a way I can get the menus in advance of my trip(s)? I hesitate to ask for diabetic meals as I learned the hard way on Alaska Air (in first class, MVPGold no less) that the diabetic offering was almost always unrelated to current dietary recommendations, and always fell short of the regular fare. My table mates and I got horrid breakfast service on a recent Empire Builder trip - so much so I'd decided to eat all my meals in my handicapped cabin on my next trip - but am re-thinking that decision.

Thanks for your suggestions, WTR
Someone else will post menu options. My suggestion would be to go to the diner and order off the menu, at least for most meals. Although you usually can't make substitutions, you can just eat around whatever you want to avoid. Also, choose early dining times so they won't be out of whatever you want. If you get lousy service, then you'll have more to talk about with your seatmates! Pack some snack bars in case you don't get enough food, or it is delayed past when you need it.

My table mates and I got horrid breakfast service on a recent Empire Builder trip - so much so I'd decided to eat all my meals in my handicapped cabin on my next trip - but am re-thinking that decision.Thanks for your suggestions, WTR
Could you expand on what you mean by horrid.

I have found service typically slow compared to land-based restaurants. However, it is NOT because the waitstaff was milling around, goofing off, or chit-chatting amongst themselves. They have a lot of people to serve, and everyone has to wait their turn for the waitstaff's attention. I use the time to chit-chat with my new table mates, and with that, the time seems to go quickly enough.

Someone else will post menu options. My suggestion would be to go to the diner and order off the menu, at least for most meals. Although you usually can't make substitutions, you can just eat around whatever you want to avoid. Also, choose early dining times so they won't be out of whatever you want. If you get lousy service, then you'll have more to talk about with your seatmates! Pack some snack bars in case you don't get enough food, or it is delayed past when you need it.
I did what Alice mentioned. I am diabetic and I just ordered off the menu and ate around what I couldn't have. For the flat iron steak, the only no-no was the baked potato. The steak, veggies, and salad were OK for me. I also broght diabetic-friendly snack bars to supplement my meals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back