Dinner on the LSL?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

icbrkr

Train Attendant
Taking my annual trip to somewhere, and this year it happens to be to Montreal via the Southwest Chief and Lake Shore Limited (renting a car in Albany to go the rest of the way to prevent a layover).

Since I pickup the LSL in Chicago pretty late in the evening, I'm curious if they serve dinner at all? I'm also wondering when they actually board the LSL on average? Got a kid I'd like to get to bed at a fairly normal time if they allow early boarding.

There's no dinner on the LSL eastbound. For sleeping car passengers, there is early boarding, as well as a wine-and-cheese tasting before the train leaves Chicago.

Didn't know about the wine and cheese tasting.... I might have to check that out.

I figured there would be no dinner.. but that's okay, that means I get to grab some Giordana's across the street unless there's some good grub closeby that's fairly safe to get there when I have a kid in tow... A couple of times ago I had a homeless/bum/unemployed/crackhead/<insert your generalization here> sit at the table with us at the food court at the station and try to beg for some food. That was a bit unsettling.

Note: You must be in the Metropolitan Lounge to get the early boarding perk too. Can't imagine why any sleeping car passenger would want to sit in the general boarding area, but if one did, then no early boarding perk.

Also, depending on how quickly you want to put your kid to sleep, the wine & cheese tasting also typically offers grapes and a non-alcoholic cider for those who don't or can't drink. Generally the crew will also provide juice/milk if one asks. Not sure if they'll give out soda though, since that has to be accounted for.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I should ask the question for the opposite direction too - I'm picking up the LSL from Albany going westbound. Too late for dinner as well?

I guess I should ask the question for the opposite direction too - I'm picking up the LSL from Albany going westbound. Too late for dinner as well?
No it's not. You will be served dinner if you would like after departure from Albany. I know that one of the latest dinner seatings on an Amtrak train is the northbound Coast Starlight, which, if it's on time, still provides passengers dinner after departure from San Jose around 8:30p.

Those of us to take the Lake Shore Limited from New York City are encouraged

to have dinner prior to Albany to free the diner for the Boston passengers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back