Dinner on NB Lake Shore Limited out of NYP

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rms492

Service Attendant
Hello, when is the best time to have dinner on the westbound Lake Shore Limited 49 out of New York?

Is it best to do it before Albany, during Albany, or after Albany?

What happens while we are eating during dinner at Albany?----don't they turn off the power to add the Boston section and change engines? So we eat in the dark? :rolleyes:

If you are hungry early, it is probably best to go before Albany. When the Boston section is added, it will probably become more crowded. And yes, the lights do go off in Albany but there are emergency lights that can provide some light... its the same throughout the rest of the train.

Got it, but I also was wondering don't the cooking appliances also go out during the power shut off? So what happens to your food, do you just wait or what? Do the cooking appliances have a back-up source? I want my food cooked correctly so I don't get sick lol.

It is very lovely to eat dinner on the way from NYP to Albany as you go up the Hudson. The river will be on the left hand side, so grab a seat over there. You can watch the sun set over the river! That would be my recommendation. Enjoy! :D

It is very lovely to eat dinner on the way from NYP to Albany as you go up the Hudson. The river will be on the left hand side, so grab a seat over there. You can watch the sun set over the river! That would be my recommendation. Enjoy! :D
This way you can relive the classic scene in North by Northwest but likely without Sunglasses, a Gibson and Brook Trout :lol:

Dinner before Albany. No question in my mind; if something goes haywire in Albany (either the Boston section is late or something else fun goes wrong such as the other LSL showing up at the same time as an Empire Service train), you'll be stuck waiting a while for food if you haven't planned accordingly.

And after dinner festivities on the bedroom with eve Marie saint. In her prime, she would have delayed the train by setting off the hot box detectors. Lol
This way you can relive the classic scene in North by Northwest but likely without Sunglasses, a Gibson and Brook Trout :lol:

I will add to the "before Albany" crowd, good scenery and less crowded before the BOS section joins in the fun. Wife and I had a table to ourselves with a nice view of the Hudson last time we did the LSL out of NYP.

They won't seat anyone after a certain time so as to ensure that they have power to cook all the meals. Basically most crews have 2 or 3 seatings, 5:00, 5:15, 5:30 or maybe 5:45 before Albany. Then they stop seating so as to ensure that you're not stuck sitting there waiting for the power to come back so that they can prepare your meal. One might be served desert while sitting in Albany in the dark as it were, but you will never get stuck waiting for dinner itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back