Dining

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well you never have to gulp per se, but depending on just how busy the train is, you probably won't be able to sit and read a paper either.

When eating, should I gulp it down & let someone else have my seat or kick back,read the paper & enjoy the view? :rolleyes:

It will sort of take care of itself. You will normally be seated with strangers, be served at the same time at that table , and often finish close to the same time. I would not read the paper after eating but would not gulp down either. Train eating at its best should have some ambience to it. But the lounge car is much better suited for reading the paper. A dining car crew has to do a lot of work with a small amount of room.

You could kind of have a sense about how crowded the train is or is not, and whether you are eating exceptionally early or exceptionally late in which case you might linger a little longer than usual. But just reading the paper? Never seen it. That is for the lounge or your own space.

"But just reading the paper? Never seen it"

...seen it, on the Crescent, twas the yankee dining employee with a big hiney who told ME, "sit where you fit". Meanwhile, he sat with his paper sprawled on the table.

"But just reading the paper? Never seen it"
...seen it, on the Crescent, twas the yankee dining employee with a big hiney who told ME, "sit where you fit". Meanwhile, he sat with his paper sprawled on the table.
That's funny!

OK forget the paper part. :p

Do you feel rushed/should I eat in my sleeper?

Last edited by a moderator:
In my experience, I have never felt rushed. But I also don't linger longer than necessary. I am that way in restaurants too. I just feel bad lingering too long after my meal with folks standing in line staring at me, so I always try to get in and out.

Just sit back and relax, eat your meal and enjoy the company, then arrange to meet up later in the lounge car (I miss this car on the City of New Orleans :angry: ). I would definitely read my paper at my seat or in my compartment.

On the flipside, I have seen the cafe car virtually empty so I usually tarry in there for a while laughing it up with the dining car staff. :lol:

Never met a stranger.......

So, don't rush since you have paid for your meal and time to be there. But don't hog the time either.

MStrain

I have forgotten the details of your trip, how long, how many meals, etc.

But if it is a long trip you might take all your meals in the diner but one in your room, just for the comparative experience. It is not cool for able bodied persons to hog the "meal in your room" concept but it is ok once in awhile.

Dining on a train can be a lot of fun, and you can meet some very interesting epople. But don't hang around because others are waiting to be served. A train diner does not have nearly enough seats for everybody to eat at one time.

When you get there, most of your questions will get answered very easily and very logically.

But keep asking.

And tell us again what your trip is, or remind us of it if you start up a new post.

I have forgotten the details of your trip, how long, how many meals, etc.
But if it is a long trip you might take all your meals in the diner but one in your room, just for the comparative experience. It is not cool for able bodied persons to hog the "meal in your room" concept but it is ok once in awhile.

Dining on a train can be a lot of fun, and you can meet some very interesting epople. But don't hang around because others are waiting to be served. A train diner does not have nearly enough seats for everybody to eat at one time.

When you get there, most of your questions will get answered very easily and very logically.

But keep asking.

And tell us again what your trip is, or remind us of it if you start up a new post.
SM - CL - EB - CS - CZ -CLSM :)

Accessible bedroom

SM - CL - EB - CS - CZ -CLSM :) Accessible bedroom
Suggestion for you, Rail Freak (and I think AlanB said something earlier, too)--

Since most of your questions are about fairly minor things and are mostly about your upcoming trip, it might make things easier and reduce the clutter on the board here if you keep all of these related questions in a single thread.

Glad to have you here! :)

Just to tell you, some of the longest meals, and after meal periods, have been on trains. Some of the most interesting dinner conversations I have ever had have been in train diners.

Sometimes it really doesn't work- you sit with a mother of a different race who is a strict segregationist and her two children, for example. They don't want to talk, her children aren't old enough to hold a conversation, the atmosphere is uncomfortable, you scoff down your food, and retreat to the lounge car. Other times it just isn't the perfect set up.

You sit with a few people who aren't the most intellectual, or are bores, or can't get over talking about their mother/father/boyfriend/girlfriend/sister/brother and how good/bad/sexy/smart/great/annoying/twotiming they are, or telling you their fantastically interesting life story that is just like every other fantastically interesting life story, or anything of these other familiar situations. So you eat your food comfortably, you pay your bill, you tell them it was nice talking to them in that way that indicates it wasn't, and leave.

But most of the time, in my experiance, it really does work. The conversation usually starts: "Hi! So where are you heading?" Followed by a "Oh cool, so why are you taking Amtrak to get there?" Which is usually followed by a 1 to 20 minute discussion of Amtrak. At which point the ice is broken and you get into a fascinating conversation about tons of different things. And then you catch up with them later that day, or the next day, in the lounge car and resume where you left off.

Suggestion for you, Rail Freak (and I think AlanB said something earlier, too)--

Since most of your questions are about fairly minor things and are mostly about your upcoming trip, it might make things easier and reduce the clutter on the board here if you keep all of these related questions in a single thread.

I apologize. Didn't even know what thread was! (showing my ignorance) Each new topic I posted I thought woul attract replys from people who were interested in that particular subject ex: dining. I'll try and get better with experience. I HOPE!!!

:huh:

I apologize. Didn't even know what thread was! (showing my ignorance) Each new topic I posted I thought would attract replies from people who were interested in that particular subject ex: dining. I'll try and get better with experience. I HOPE!!!

No need to apologize. Some like the idea of a separate thread for each topic. As you say, if they are interested they'll read it. Others may not. But, we're all here to help. So, keep on asking!

I apologize. Didn't even know what thread was! (showing my ignorance) Each new topic I posted I thought would attract replies from people who were interested in that particular subject ex: dining. I'll try and get better with experience. I HOPE!!!

No need to apologize. Some like the idea of a separate thread for each topic. As you say, if they are interested they'll read it. Others may not. But, we're all here to help. So, keep on asking!
Appreciate that! :)

"They don't want to talk"

This fits the worst diner companions of my experience. They were adults but the man acted as if he had no concept of the art of conversation. I ended up staring out the window and as the Green Lion states, "the atmosphere is uncomfortable, you scoff down your food". Another one was a young man whose appearance denied what he had to say so it was very interesting. Within 2 minutes he said he was in treatment for drug abuse and a kleptomaniac. He was fascinating but I ended up handing my tip straight to the workers AND I sat with him again. He also let me in on the voodoo queen back in coach after I asked if there were any interesting people seated nearby. By far the best diner companion was the 14 year old female who had a great sense of humor about everything going on, especially, the workers. She regularly traveled the route to grandma's by train.

Appreciate that! :)
Personally I think this board needs MORE activity!! I log in here and only see a few thread updates from time to time... I want more!! :) I'm greedy that way!! Tell me the deep dark Amtrak secrets! Tell me how you scammed a free ride somewhere in a sleeper. Inquiring minds want to know!

I'm always sad when I sign on and there are only 1-2 new threads or updates.

[Edited to move the reply in the proper place]

Personally I think this board needs MORE activity!! I log in here and only see a few thread updates from time to time... I want more!! :) I'm greedy that way!! Tell me the deep dark Amtrak secrets! Tell me how you scammed a free ride somewhere in a sleeper. Inquiring minds want to know!
I'm always sad when I sign on and there are only 1-2 new threads or updates.
We've had 275 new topics started this month alone, an average of 14 a day.

And so far there have been almost 3,000 posts this month, which is about 158 per day.

I've been a member here for over a year, and compared to last January, there are almost three times as many active topics per day--when I log on, I used to find maybe half a page of unread threads, but now I find over 1.5 pages!

Okay, a little dining car activity on the board for RobertF.

This tale more properly belongs in the travelogue section, but since he's pushing it...

Northbound from Jacksonville, FL, to D.C. on the Silver Meteor I took a book to the diner. This was because on the southbound train I had been stuck with people who didn't wanna talk at all. Ended up staring out the window into the night. It was an older couple, and they didn't even talk to EACH OTHER, for crying out loud. They spoke only to order their meals.

To avoid the staring problem northbound, I took a book to the diner. Traveling solo again, and seated with two other guys, nobody was talking. Glad I brought the book.

Our orders were taken, and I kept reading. The guy across from me asked "What are you reading?"

"It's about the German air force. You wouldn't be interested."

"Figter pilots and dogfights?"

"Its actually about manufacturing, management, and logistics. German mismanagement cost them the war. Wanna see?"

"Sure!"

So I turned over the book, and the guy next to me says, "I'm from Argentina."

"Buenos Aires?"

"Si! Yes. You've been there?"

"No, but I hear it's a fine city"

Long story short, we all had a great time in that Amtrak diner, talking about the rule of law, how cool FDR was, what we would do if we were in charge, and all kinds of other things.

A unique experience that I seriously doubt could be had anywhere but aboard a train.

Okay, a little dining car activity on the board for RobertF.
This tale more properly belongs in the travelogue section, but since he's pushing it...

Northbound from Jacksonville, FL, to D.C. on the Silver Meteor I took a book to the diner. This was because on the southbound train I had been stuck with people who didn't wanna talk at all. Ended up staring out the window into the night. It was an older couple, and they didn't even talk to EACH OTHER, for crying out loud. They spoke only to order their meals.

To avoid the staring problem northbound, I took a book to the diner. Traveling solo again, and seated with two other guys, nobody was talking. Glad I brought the book.

Our orders were taken, and I kept reading. The guy across from me asked "What are you reading?"

"It's about the German air force. You wouldn't be interested."

"Figter pilots and dogfights?"

"Its actually about manufacturing, management, and logistics. German mismanagement cost them the war. Wanna see?"

"Sure!"

So I turned over the book, and the guy next to me says, "I'm from Argentina."

"Buenos Aires?"

"Si! Yes. You've been there?"

"No, but I hear it's a fine city"

Long story short, we all had a great time in that Amtrak diner, talking about the rule of law, how cool FDR was, what we would do if we were in charge, and all kinds of other things.

A unique experience that I seriously doubt could be had anywhere but aboard a train.
Great story! I wonder how often boy/girl meet on a train and end up together for more than the trip...

and how many meet and just have a 1-2 night stand on the train.

My comments were less complaint and more just an odd expression of how much I like this place.

My family seems to be very travel oriented. My dad sold trucks, and flew his own plane and loves trains.

I fly my own planes (2 of 'em), love trains (I loved living in Chicago, where you could sit on one of a number of mainlines

and watch a number of trains pass by per hour). Shame Salt Lake isn't as train prolific... :)

and how many meet and just have a 1-2 night stand on the train.
Lol, does that ever happen I wonder! That'd make for an interesting promotional campaign!

I suppose if you have a sleeper it's a little more likely ;)

Great story! I wonder how often boy/girl meet on a train and end up together for more than the trip...and how many meet and just have a 1-2 night stand.
I don't worry about that too much. When riding Amtrak long distance I plan way in advance, which includes getting a girlfriend to ride along. After all, not a whole lot else to do on an overnight train.

Great story! I wonder how often boy/girl meet on a train and end up together for more than the trip...and how many meet and just have a 1-2 night stand.
I don't worry about that too much. When riding Amtrak long distance I plan way in advance, which includes getting a girlfriend to ride along. After all, not a whole lot else to do on an overnight train.
Beginning to read like the script from Silver Streak :lol: :lol: :lol:

Aloha

Beginning to read like the script from Silver Streak :lol: :lol: :lol:
I was thinking the same thing! :lol: (Just don't get thrown off the same train 3 or 4 times!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back