Dining with a roomette booking

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sbburkett

Train Attendant
I last rode on Amtrak ten years ago but I’m VERY excited about an upcoming trip on the Silver Meteor (and also the Adirondack).

Even though I also had a roomette ten years ago, I simply can’t recall how certain things worked as far as the meals (which I know are included with the roomette).

For example, how is the bill for each meal settled? Do I show my e-ticket in the dining car to “pay” my bill, or is it like a hotel where I write down my car and room number? (I do realize any tipping would be separate).

And also, am I able to request to have a meal brought to the roomette? I’d perhaps want to do this for breakfast for my wife and I to eat in the room, so was curious about this.

Thanks for any help…I’m excited about my trip and I’ll surely write a trip report when

You will write down your car and room number if you visit the diner in person. You can request your meal to be brought to you room in advance from your sleeper attendant and in that case the sleeper attendant will handle the paperwork for you. One thing I've learned over the years is to tip with every meal if you're requesting it to be brought to your room. That seems to keep things moving smoothly versus holding onto the tip until the end of the trip. In either case it doesn't take much to keep the staff happy. A couple dollars each for breakfast and lunch and maybe a fin for dinner. If you're really impressed you can tip more and if you're really disappointed you can tip less or nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the DC you will sign the check and put your room number and car number on it before they take your order. I have found that you should let the SCA know ahead of time if you want a meal in your room so they have plenty of time to place your order, especially if there are multiple rooms requesting in room service. Keep in mind that if the SCA is in the DC getting a meal for another room they will not hear the call button, another reason to give the SCA pleanty of notice. With in room meals, I generally tipped each meal separate from any tip I would normally give the SCA.

There are some dining car attendants who will ask you for your car and room number and will fill in the information for you, so all you have to do is sign the ticket. Others will have you fill in the information. There will be one ticket for each of you and your wife. The dining car crew will generally notice from what direction you are entering the dining car. If you happen to go to the lounge before the dining car, you will be entering from the same direction as coach passengers and, if not recognized by the staff, you may be requested to show your e-ticket. It is a good idea to have your tickets with you at all times.

Also, if you choose to use your own pen when signing the ticket, you will need to use a black pen.

Since it's been a while since you were in a roomette, I'll just add that there's not much table space in a roomette for two. One of you might have to juggle a bit.

I guess the key thing here is a) be happy you're on the Meteor instead of the Star. :p and b) know your room number and car (on the door of the vestibule).

Regarding tipping...as Lonestar said, tipping is for each separate meal.

I assume that goes to the SCA, and not the staff in the dining car. How would one be sure that some of that gets to the people that prepared the meal?

Thanks to everyone for the informative and helpful answers about how dining works with a roomette.

One other item...as far as the tipping the SCA at the end of the trip, ten years ago I gave $10 each way. Is that still about the average or is a "decent" tip more like $20 each way these days? I like to make sure I tip for good service, so curious as to what the "going rate" is these days for the SCA each way (for two people in a roomette).

I guess the key thing here is a) be happy you're on the Meteor instead of the Star. :p and b) know your room number and car (on the door of the vestibule).
Re car # - assuming the SCA remembers to change it at the starting point. I've seen cars with the wrong train # more than once.

Thanks to everyone for the informative and helpful answers about how dining works with a roomette. One other item...as far as the tipping the SCA at the end of the trip, ten years ago I gave $10 each way. Is that still about the average or is a "decent" tip more like $20 each way these days? I like to make sure I tip for good service, so curious as to what the "going rate" is these days for the SCA each way (for two people in a roomette).
$10 is a good baseline starting point. If you feel the trip was exceptional then either add or subtract based on your experience.

Re car # - assuming the SCA remembers to change it at the starting point. I've seen cars with the wrong train # more than once.
Same here. First they dumb everything down with poor signage and outdated listings and then they baby us with childish platform rules and kindergarten walks. Seems kind of counterproductive to me. Then again if we did things like the rest of the world it might tarnish our status as champions of idiosyncratic individualism.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back