Dining Options on trains

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

USAFLady

Train Attendant
I had a very nice person from another discussion hook me up with the dining menus on superliner trains, but for lunch I'm not realy impressed. Is there somewhere on a train like a snack bar?

Yes, there's a snack bar in the lounge. If you're in a sleeper though, the dining car meal is free, but you'll have to pay at the snack bar. I remember seeing a snack bar menu somewhere, but I can't find it now. I think the dining car food is better though :)

USAFLady said:
I had a very nice person from another discussion hook me up with the dining menus on superliner trains, but for lunch I'm not realy impressed. Is there somewhere on a train like a snack bar?
Most trains have both a lounge with snacks like pizza, microwaved burgers and such and a full service diner. I don't know if that's what you mean, but If it is than that's basically it. If not, I can be more specific. I think if you're in sleeper I think you can get your free meal from the lounge instead.

Amfleet was kind enough to post the general representative snack/lounge car menu, over in the other topic. Just click here and roll about halfway down for the menu. :)

Yes, Amfleet was the one that gave me the shoutcut to the menus. I will be in a sleeper, but what I read at the site he hooked me up with didn't really have anything I liked. Glad to know there is something else,,, If I want something from like the "snackbar" place do I have to pay for that or will they let me substitute?

USAFLady said:
Yes, Amfleet was the one that gave me the shoutcut to the menus. I will be in a sleeper, but what I read at the site he hooked me up with didn't really have anything I liked. Glad to know there is something else,,, If I want something from like the "snackbar" place do I have to pay for that or will they let me substitute?
You have to pay for anything from the snack bar/lounge, regardless of accommodation.

The angus beef cheeseburger I had in the Amcafe last fall in the Amcafe was excellent! I thought it wouldnt be that great, but I was wrong. Expensive though. The soda was also very cold, just the way I like it. My dad said his beer was great too, on the borderline of being ice (very refreshing). My brother and his friend were also happy with their food (personal pan pizza and cheesburger). The line was very long in the Amcafe (shoulda went way back to the second Amcafe on the train because and announcement was made that car was practically empty) My dad and I were also impressed at the attendents performance, fast and friendly and he actually made sure the food was warm after taking out of that superconvection oven or whatever it is that heats that food up in no time flat! The only thing that would have made it better would have been better if it was an Amdinette with tables! (I felt bad accidently getting some mustard on the floor of our beautiful Capstone Business Class rebuild car, the nicest car by far on the entire train, interior wise that is, the Phase III Amcafe towards the back beat it out easily on exterior looks IMO)

The Snack Bar food on Long Distance trains certainly seems to be of good quality. However, this is not the case on Regional and Acela trains. Most of that food is "imitated" gourmet.

Well the food on this train, which was made up of equipment pulled off the NE corridor and stocked by commissionaries in Boston seemed of great quality!

P40Power said:
Well the food on this train, which was made up of equipment pulled off the NE corridor and stocked by commissionaries in Boston seemed of great quality!
If it was, then maybe it is the way some attendants cook the food in the micorwave. My burger was cooked so long (it seemed like I waited 5 minutes) that the roll literally fell apart when I picked it up and it was so hot I had to wait another five minutes for the thing to cool down. Then another time I got a pizza and it was rock hard in the middle (that occurs in my microwave too if I cook something too long). Anyway, I have started to bring my own food on-board, but in August when I ride the Regional I'll try out the cafe.

Yeah our attendent seemed like a real good one and that probably had an effect on the good quality of the food for sure. Uggh nothing worse then overcooked microwaved hamburgers :p Im not a big fan of pizza especially microwave pizza, but my brother said his was very good but he droped the first one on his way between cars because of the flimsy Ambox that they give ya to carry food in, the attendent saw it and gave him another one "On The House"

P40Power said:
Yeah our attendent seemed like a real good one and that probably had an effect on the good quality of the food for sure. Uggh nothing worse then overcooked microwaved hamburgers :p Im not a big fan of pizza especially microwave pizza, but my brother said his was very good but he droped the first one on his way between cars because of the flimsy Ambox that they give ya to carry food in, the attendent saw it and gave him another one "On The House"
It's funny, I had never had a microwaved pizza before that so I was definitely turned away by the idea. Hamburgers are okay, but if Amtrak really wants to sell their passengers they're going to need a good ol' gas grill. Hey, the could even throw on some steaks. :D

I actually like the microwaved pizza in the cafe. The problem I have with the white castle burgers are that they have onions, and I don't like to have onions on my burgers. Thats what makes the pizza attractive, but it's very good.

Viewliner said:
I actually like the microwaved pizza in the cafe. The problem I have with the white castle burgers are that they have onions, and I don't like to have onions on my burgers. Thats what makes the pizza attractive, but it's very good.
I'm planning to try those white castles on the Capitol Limited. I have never had them, but the reviews seem great. I'm also a big many of onions, so no problem there. :D

We purchised a box of frozen microwave White Castle Cheeseburgers from the supermarket a few months ago because I wanted to try them and there are no White Castles around here. They sure did look good but I didnt care for them all that much, they just had a weird taste to them. Burger King still has the best burgers around in my opinion!

Amfleet said:
Viewliner said:
I actually like the microwaved pizza in the cafe.  The problem I have with the white castle burgers are that they have onions, and I don't like to have onions on my burgers.  Thats what makes the pizza attractive, but it's very good.
I'm planning to try those white castles on the Capitol Limited. I have never had them, but the reviews seem great. I'm also a big many of onions, so no problem there. :D
The White Castles in the cafe aren't too bad. They are definitely microwaveable fare... nothing like a big juicy Beef Burger from a full service diner. I also recall someone writing in a travelogue that a White Castle cheeseburger aboard a Dinette caused some rather unpleasant gastrointestinal consequences to later surface :blink:

Ha yes, if your going to have some White Castles in the cafe make sure they have some Tums or Rollaids in stock too :p I needed em after having about 5 at home. As for a gas grill, ha that would be sweet but I dont know how that would work out in an Amcafe ;)

P40Power said:
We purchised a box of frozen microwave White Castle Cheeseburgers from the supermarket a few months ago because I wanted to try them and there are no White Castles around here. They sure did look good but I didnt care for them all that much, they just had a weird taste to them. Burger King still has the best burgers around in my opinion!
Burger King still has the best burgers around in my opinion!
After being a "proud" BK employee for a year and a half, I don't think I could eat another fast food hamburger again. ;)
As for a gas grill, ha that would be sweet but I dont know how that would work out in an Amcafe
Simple, rip out the snack bar, get a couple of grills, cut a whole in the roof, and light 'em up. Actually, the Heritage Diners do have actual griddles, but they are electric.

P40Power said:
Ha yes, if your going to have some White Castles in the cafe make sure they have some Tums or Rollaids in stock too :p I needed em after having about 5 at home. As for a gas grill, ha that would be sweet but I dont know how that would work out in an Amcafe ;)
I would have to agree. :lol:

Keep in mind folks that the cafe menus are changing nationwide on Thursday. I have seen the new menu, courtesy of one of our LSA's down here. New items include, wings, lasagna, fruit salad, a new salad, cookies, and a couple of items priced at a buck. Items to be replaced with comperable items include the white castles, pizza, juice, and wine. Items to be dropped include oreos, a few of the premium sandwiches and a few of the salads. I personally like the new menu, but will be sorry to see some of the items leave us.

so did I read right that you can take your own food on the train? if it's something that needs to be heated up will they do that for you? what if it's something that needs to be in the frig or freezer till you want it, will they do that? white castle burgers? yuck.... just like krystals..... inbred onions in them.....

USAFLady said:
so did I read right that you can take your own food on the train? if it's something that needs to be heated up will they do that for you? what if it's something that needs to be in the frig or freezer till you want it, will they do that? white castle burgers? yuck.... just like krystals..... inbred onions in them.....
I believe for health/safety reasons Amtrak will not heat up food that passengers bring on board. They should be able to provide ice if something that you brought needs to be chilled... but your best bet would be to bring things that aren't perishable or that can stay out of refrigeration until you need them.

thank you. I hadn't really planned on bringing anything they would need to heat up or ice down, maybe some nuts or chips or something. Since I'm already paying for food with the car and the lunch menu was the only thing that really bugged me with the snack bar, it looks like I'll live. Will they let you bring your own drinks on the train?

USAFLady said:
thank you. I hadn't really planned on bringing anything they would need to heat up or ice down, maybe some nuts or chips or something. Since I'm already paying for food with the car and the lunch menu was the only thing that really bugged me with the snack bar, it looks like I'll live. Will they let you bring your own drinks on the train?
Yes - but if it's alcoholic, and you bring it onboard yourself, you must consume it privately within your sleeping car accommodation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back