Dining car lunch service removed from #30

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, the old trash box in the stairs to the downstairs Cafe doesn't cut it,
This has always annoyed me because it represents Amtrak as a fly by night lower class operation. At minimum they could spend a few cents on a nice brass chain or even braided rope that can be clipped across the stairs when the Lower Level is closed. Attach a nicely worded sign explaining.

Rode #30 last month.

As above, breakfast is extended into (I believe) Martinsburg. No separate lunch was offered. I also fail to see how something like this can go unnoticed.

That is accurate. However, there are new menus effective so there isn't a "lunch" menu for the Capitol. It is one of the trains with the "express lunch" menus which is basically breakfast with a few more things available.

Not to excuse slovenly service, but isn't it true that the diner crew has to have the dining car cleaned up and squared away before arrival in Washington? Sometimes the train is actually half an hour to 40 minutes early. Maybe that is why the lead service attendant apparently is given freedom to decide whether to serve lunch or not. Perhaps an Amtrak service crew member who might be watching this thread can tell us the facts.
There is a documented policy and documented place for "last call" but again there isn't a real "lunch" menu for this train. Additionally, I can't imagine the train departing 1'40" early from the place of final call, but as you indicated this may hinder the LSA extending service.

If Amtrak were truly concerned about dining car profitability, given its formidable fixed operating costs (primarily staff who are paid for the duration of the train's run), you'd think they'd move heaven and earth to have the dining car open for business during as many hours as possible--especially hours that folks consider normal meal times. I understand that the kitchen needs to be cleaned, restocked etc. But the only way to make sales is to be open for business.

I think about this every time I'm on a LD train where the diner shuts down 1-2 HOURS before its arrival at final destination.
I've always kind of agreed with this but also understand why they generally want everything stripped and cleaned prior to arrival. This is a big issue if they need the car at the next terminal. There are times when 30's inbound equipment turns for 29. Same for 98 and 20 in NYP. Still, I wish there was a happy medium.

Not to excuse slovenly service, but isn't it true that the diner crew has to have the dining car cleaned up and squared away before arrival in Washington? Sometimes the train is actually half an hour to 40 minutes early. Maybe that is why the lead service attendant apparently is given freedom to decide whether to serve lunch or not. Perhaps an Amtrak service crew member who might be watching this thread can tell us the facts.
Amtrak should define the service hours. It should not be up to the crew to decide they do or do not wish to serve based on anything but a standard.
There is a defined policy and if someone decided to serve over, as long as nothing is delayed at the remitting terminal, no crime or foul.

I can understand them consolidating the 2 meals and even allowing Sleeper pax only one turn; you would have to be a real Chow Hound to take on Breakfast and then 2-3 hours later pile in Lunch, especially with all the great eating options in DC. Thinking back on my run last July, I believe when Lunch was announced it was limited to Meat or Veggie Burgers.
That about sums it up. However, I still want food. This is particularly true if I'm transferring to another train.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back