Dining Car Hours?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SarahZ

Quality Control
Is there a list or link anywhere that shows the dining car hours for various routes?

For example, we're taking the Silver Meteor from DC to Orlando next February, and the train leaves DC at 7:30 PM. Since it's so late, I assume we won't get dinner? Anyway, I looked all over Amtrak's site, the timetables, and the dining car menu for the trip, but I didn't see any information.

Are the dining car hours universal? That would help when I'm trying to plan various trips. I don't want to start a new thread every time we take a trip that has a departure/arrival time during a meal. ;)

I considered taking the 3:00 PM Silver Star, but the Capitol Limited from Chicago has an arrival time of 12:40 PM. I don't like those odds.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's always at least one seating for dinner on the Meteor out of DC (nominally 7:30, but in reality whenever the train leaves WAS). I can't count how many times I've been able to partake in this; if it is super-late this might not happen, but the train has to be rather late for this to happen.

There's always at least one seating for dinner on the Meteor out of DC (nominally 7:30, but in reality whenever the train leaves WAS). I can't count how many times I've been able to partake in this; if it is super-late this might not happen, but the train has to be rather late for this to happen.
Meaning, they hold some slots for those alighting in DC? I would imagine you'd have to let the first class lounge attendant know, then? Or would our SCA take our tickets and let us head straight to the dining car?

Your SCA will know that you will be boarding in WAS, and will (or at least should) have made reservations for you prior to you boarding!
excl.gif

FYI: This happens on all trains if you board during dinner hours!

Sorcha,

Under normal circumstances, here are the dining car hours:

Breakfast 6:30 AM to 10 AM

Lunch 11:30 AM to 3 PM

Dinner 5 PM to 9 PM

Of course things like arriving into the end point station or departing an originating station during a meal period can affect things. And some crews do seem to take it upon themselves to set their own hours. But in general, those are the hours that the dining car should be open.

I routinely take the silver meteor from WAS to ORL and it never been so late where I have not been served dinner after boarding in WAS. Usually, the SCA will make a dinner rez for you - usually at 8pm.

As far as connecting with the Star, I do not think the normally allow it, however I did speak with a woman who was allowed the connection because the Meteor did not go where she needed to go.

I routinely take the silver meteor from WAS to ORL and it never been so late where I have not been served dinner after boarding in WAS. Usually, the SCA will make a dinner rez for you - usually at 8pm.

As far as connecting with the Star, I do not think the normally allow it, however I did speak with a woman who was allowed the connection because the Meteor did not go where she needed to go.

Ditto to everything Penny said. We boarded the Meteor last January and the SCA told us our reservation was for 8pm. :)

After I thought about it, I realized where I got tripped up.

I keep forgetting the Meteor starts BEFORE Washington, DC. I keep thinking of DC as the origination point since I'm used to traveling from another major hub (Chicago). I got locked into thinking that way, so I was thinking, "Oh, if the train leaves DC at 7:30, they might not serve dinner since dinner ends shortly thereafter."

Had I remembered DC is an intermediate station, the answer to my question would have been obvious to me.
blush.gif
wub.gif

Sorcha,

Under normal circumstances, here are the dining car hours:

Breakfast 6:30 AM to 10 AM

Lunch 11:30 AM to 3 PM

Dinner 5 PM to 9 PM

Of course things like arriving into the end point station or departing an originating station during a meal period can affect things. And some crews do seem to take it upon themselves to set their own hours. But in general, those are the hours that the dining car should be open.
Thanks, Alan! I'll bookmark this for reference.

In May I will be boarding the Texas Eagle northbound from Austin. We have a Bedroom for the overnight trip. Amtrak reservations tells me that breakfast is not provided to passengers boarding in Austin (9:31 a.m.), but I'd hate to pay to feed the kids in a restaurant and then find out that we could have had breakfast on board if they do keep serving 'til 10 a.m. or so. Does anyone have any personal experience with this train at this stop?

Well, unless the kids tell me that they're starving, I suppose I'll wait until we board the train to feed them. If we can get breakfast in the diner, great; if not I can spring for a breakfast sandwich from the lounge car and hope for an early seating for lunch.

What is the time zone for the dining car hours? That might decide whether you are served or not.

Well, unless the kids tell me that they're starving, I suppose I'll wait until we board the train to feed them. If we can get breakfast in the diner, great; if not I can spring for a breakfast sandwich from the lounge car and hope for an early seating for lunch.
Last time I went North from Austin the wait list was already full and not adding any more names for breakfast-(or had already seated the final seating, cant remember-in any event, no breakfast for us) we just had lunch, which started just a bit after 11 if I remember. As always, your experience may vary....

Last edited by a moderator:
*** BE AWARE that post #13 and above are over 1 1/2 years old ***
That explains the comment

CL to SS has been a valid connection since this past Summer I believe.

In January I'm booked LMY to STP including the CL and SS. I figured I could take the chance since there is still the Meteor to fall back on, although it would involve the ORL to TPA bus. According to train status history, within the last month the CL did no fail to make the connections. Although it made it by only 5 minutes once.

Wondering if anyone knows lounge car hours? Traveling from Syracuse, NY to Elkhart, IN. Train was scheduled to leave at 9:40pm, now delayed til 11:45pm...what are the chances I will get a glass of wine? Have a feeling I should've packed "more efficiently" LOL

The cafe usually closes around midnight, so I'd enjoy a glass of wine at the station if possible. :)

Unfortunately the Syracuse station in the regional transportation center, is sort of in the middle of nowhere and lacks a bar. I bet if the Centro, the local transit agency that owns the station let a bar in it, it might do some brisk business. Syracuse is quite a busy station and a fresh air/meal stop on some Greyhound and MegaBus trips.

It seems like nearly every airport has a bar, why not a transit center/train station?

on the California zephyr, the dining room was definatly run for the convienience of the dining crew and NO ONE ESLE! First call for breakfast was at god knows what time, but I went to the dining room at 825am and was turned away, i thought it was served until 9 am but???

Lunch started at 1130 and was promptly done at 1230 i barely made it in, Dinner was 2 seatings, 5 and 530 , I tried at the dining room but when i went in for dinner I walked into a full scary diner, 24 people in 6 booths, and 2 waiters, FREAK OUT!!

i was thankfully seated next to a couple from India, they were wonderful people, we bonded because my brother works at intel and their son was also working in san Jose at a computer company, they were seeing the country and going to chicago to see more relatives. We were seated on the back side of the diner car, the wait staff was Blah, the lady who was working did a great job, the young man who was working, well I hope he grows into his position, because he was just absolutely lost!

I tried the diner at breakfast on the second day and was greeted by a gentleman who was hocking loogies into his coffee creamers and onto his plate. Not the best dining room experience.

both trips west and east the diner was at the crews convinience, open at 6 closed at 8 am, i was turned away for breakfast at 805 am again on the way back, they do what they do and do not care! Lunch was done by 1pm and dinner I got a last seating at a table by 6 because it was done at 615, you choose or you loose with this crew, i was a bit dissapointed because i just dont do meals that early .

Last time I went North from Austin the wait list was already full and not adding any more names for breakfast-(or had already seated the final seating, cant remember-in any event, no breakfast for us) we just had lunch, which started just a bit after 11 if I remember. As always, your experience may vary....
That trip is long over and done and, yes, by heading directly to the diner all three of us were seated for breakfast upon departure from Austin. The French Toast was fabulous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back