Digeplayers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

haolerider

Conductor
Anthony, I understand not wanting to have posts on the site that would appear to promote a particular product, but this is a very popular product that is being offered to passengers on additional trains - and Amtrak receives a percentage of the rental as a profit center. It really is no different than discussing the kind of soda or beer available on the trains - or the quality of the food.

Amtrak already advertises the product on its website and will feature it in the timetable as an available amenity.

I have no connection with either Amtrak or Digeplayer, but see it as a pretty neat gadget for the passengers; however it is your site and you can do whatever you wish.

I don't believe Anthony has a problem with discussion about the product. I think he is simply letting "guest posters" know his feelings on the matter. There could be those who are company reps, etc. The mere fact anyone can come here and post pretty much anything on this site would give me cause for concern as well. He did seem to single out the members of this site as we are bound by the terms of the agreement with the site when we registered. That said said Anthony has some more control as far as handling a problem. I hope he doesn't ever have to, but he could restrict the forums to only the members. As a matter of fact this is the only forum I have ever came across that allows non members the abilty to join in the discussion.

And I will mention the name "Amtrak" so as to make this posting having something to do directly with that!!! :lol:

OBS...

OBS is right -- my beef is primarily with the consistent posting of digEplayer information by a select number of Guests. If established or legitimate members wish to provide or discuss information about this product, that is perfectly fine.

We had issues about a year ago where the promoters of this product were posting commercial information under the guise of anonymous railfans or guests, and that is what I am trying to prevent.

:)

(I have edited my original response to that thread to make my intent clearer.)

If the battery is only 10 hours what happens on a CHI to LAX trip when it dies mid-movie on the second night? Do they also provide AC adapters? If I rent one I want more than 10 hours.

From the official Amtrak press release:

In addition to renting digEplayers, Railway Media kiosks will also sell Amtrak-branded merchandise and other travel accessories.
So it sounds like we can expect a mini Amtrak store type deal inside those railway media kiosks with Amtrak hats, t-shirts, coloring books and toys n' stuff... if I am reading into this right. That would be pretty neat to be able to actually buy Amtrak merchandise like this in person instead of always having to order it through the Amtrak Store Online.

I have always wondered why Amtrak didn't market some of their own merchandise at ticket counters since they could easily add the capability to sell it into the reservation system. Merchandise promoting Amtrak is one of the best things they can market to increase customer brand-awareness and satisfaction. Perhaps this is a good start!

Anthony, thanks for the clarification.

As far as the batteries for the digeplayer, it stated in press release that they will sell some sort of package that will allow for additonal batteries for lengthy trips - i.e. Chicago to the West Coast.

I had asked the same quesiton about selling Amtrak merchandise in the stations and was told there were inventory control issues with employees, as well as the fact that their primary job is selling tickets and providing information, not operating a company store. The arrangement with the Kiosks seems to make more sense, since inventory control will be the responsibility of a company rather than a group of employees.

Whoops! Sorry, Anthony. I hadn't read the locked discussion which was so obviously a marketing ploy. Had I read that first, I wouldn't have asked about the price.

Based on the questionable ethics employed by them to present their product on this forum, I will not be renting a digeplayer.

Everydaymatters said:
Whoops! Sorry, Anthony. I hadn't read the locked discussion which was so obviously a marketing ploy. Had I read that first, I wouldn't have asked about the price.
Based on the questionable ethics employed by them to present their product on this forum, I will not be renting a digeplayer.
I wouldn't necessarily go that far -- after all, there are multiple parties involved in the offer, and Amtrak does get a cut of the fees. :)

First, digEplayer is made and marketed by an aircraft parts supplier called Wencor. Wencor is not some sleazy operation. Wencor is a large international supplier of aircraft parts. They purchased the rights to the digEplayer system and name from the original developer in October 2004. There is nothing unethical about Wencor or digEplayer. Any implication to the contrary is unfortunate and may be based on marketing practices of the prior owner of the system.

DigEplayer was originally developed as an alternative to hard-wired inflight entertainment (IFE) systems. A conventional IFE system on a typical aircraft can easily cost a half a million dollars to install. Then, of course, the system breaks and has to be fixed. No one want to board a 14 hour trans-Pacific flight only to find the seatback IFE is dead. IFE is expensive for airlines, but is now an expectation for all mid length and long distance flights. DigEplayer eliminates all the aircraft-based hardware. Individual units can fail, but that does not affect any specific aircraft. It is a good solution particularly for discount and smaller carriers. The extension of that product concept to rail seems natural.

One shortcoming of Amtrak long distance travel is the lack of on board entertainment options. While some of us may be happy just looking out the window, many travellers are not. For trips 20, 30 or more hours long, having some entertainment is a big plus. Installing and maintaining true IFE (or, I guess, On Rail Entertainment) in each long distance coach and sleeper would be financially impossible. For Amtrak, digEplayer seems like an interesting solution.

If digEplayer is successful, Amtrak stands to gain both financially and from a passenger satisfaction standpoint with no costs incurred either up front or on going. Basically, Amtrak can't lose, and might win. How it works in real life remains to be seen. It might be a huge flop, but it is certainly worth a try.

Just for the record: I have no connections to digEplayer or Wencor in any manner.

PRR 60 said:
One shortcoming of Amtrak long distance travel is the lack of on board entertainment options.

If digEplayer is successful, Amtrak stands to gain both financially and from a passenger satisfaction standpoint with no costs incurred either up front or on going. Basically, Amtrak can't lose, and might win. How it works in real life remains to be seen. It might be a huge flop, but it is certainly worth a try.
I for one will let it be known I agree wholeheartedly with this venture. As this poster states, Amtrak has nothing to lose going this route. And for the record, not a trip goes by where at least one passenger asks "What else is there to do?" I know that is in addition to looking out the window or hanging out in the lounge car. Todays passengers want some type of audio/visual entertainment. Now it is up to the paying public to "show" whether they really want it or not. Hopefully the program works as intended and exceeds expectations. OBS...

Everydaymatters said:
where is this discussion that you're referring to, if you don't mind me asking? i'm confused to what you're referring to.

personally, if anything(i'm not trying to attack your opinion, i'm just curious why you disagree), i think it's a good idea to have this option on Amtrak trains. plus, its probably easier and MUCH cheaper to repair the units if one malfunctions, unlike the pricey IFE systems that exist on airlines that'd cost Amtrak a fortune to add such a system to their LD trains. if the price was right(and it wasn't too expensive), i bet it'll eventually become a huge success on Amtrak trains, as i've heard its been greatly successful on the Auto Train.

I had one of the demo's left with me for about an hour in Chicago.

It had about 7 new movies and 3 or so music videos that I wasn't interested in hearing. I asked about one from Chicago to Austin and the price was quite high. Besides the top price in that article, you can add on a splitter for two headsets for around $5 and nowhere to turn them back in at Austin so add another $13.95 to mail them back to Chicago.

No Thanks....I just watched the old Rerun in the lounge car.

It was "Ft. Apache" with Peter Fonda, John Wayne etc..... :D

I too have no connections with any of those companies.....BD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back