Did Amtrak change the rules again?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ruudkeulers

Service Attendant
When we first bought our 15-days passes - around Newyear - and emailed our itinerary to Amtrak's reservation system, they told us we were too early: reservations could only be made within 180 days of our first 'segment', which was/is Sept. 20, 2009. So they told us to try again by the end of March. Which we did, a couple of days ago. Today we got the answer: not only does our first segment have to be within the 180-days limit, but also our final segment. They invited us to give it another try after April 8. (They'll probably have doubled the prices for the sleepers by then.)

We planned - and still plan - to travel four weeks through the States next fall.

Can anybody recommend a good car rental?

Amtrak has always made all points of reservation rules fall into time categories - ie: If you bought the former North American Rail Pass or USA Rail Pass for a time period that spanned across peak/non-peak periods, then you would pay a prorated amount. So, in that regard, I don't believe that the practice in booking 6 months for every aspect of your journey is not new.

You should, however, be able to book each leg every day 6 months out until complete. That makes for a number of transatlantic phone calls, but hey - got Skype?

Doubt that the sleeper rates would change that drastically, but it is possible - that's why you get the deal on the railfare.

As for a rental car agency, I've used several and don't really care for one above the other. Enterprise has always been good to me. Avis trys harder. Hertz hurts... Go for the best rate. I don't know how well this may work for you, but check out www.zipcar.com. They have some neat locations near major train stations. May cost more, but certainly convenient.

You should, however, be able to book each leg every day 6 months out until complete. That makes for a number of transatlantic phone calls, but hey - got Skype?
Doubt that the sleeper rates would change that drastically, but it is possible - that's why you get the deal on the railfare.
Thanks Venture, and of course we've got skype (or VoipCheap for that matter). But I don't understand: do you mean that it's actually more efficient to call Amtrak than to email them for reservations?

And: I was only joking about the car rental replacing the train trip. Had to do with irritation on Amtrak's answer today. Sorry!

Let me tell you: I just arranged a 15000 mile 45-may trip in June/July/August (YEAH!) by E-Mail from Europe. Just tell them directly that you want to deal with one person only at the Intl. Sales departement and all will be fine. I didn't have any problems with sleeper upgrades, some prices went up (like the City of NOL) some prices even came down from the highest bucket (like the CZ) to the lowest. Prices for sleepers are exactly the same as specified by amtrak's reservation system. But anyway, it would be interesting to see where you are going to.

AND: Stay away from that car thing, it is most likely to ruin your trip!

Let me tell you: I just arranged a 15000 mile 45-may trip in June/July/August (YEAH!) by E-Mail from Europe. Just tell them directly that you want to deal with one person only at the Intl. Sales departement and all will be fine. I didn't have any problems with sleeper upgrades, some prices went up (like the City of NOL) some prices even came down from the highest bucket (like the CZ) to the lowest. Prices for sleepers are exactly the same as specified by amtrak's reservation system. But anyway, it would be interesting to see where you are going to.
AND: Stay away from that car thing, it is most likely to ruin your trip!
Thanks for the advice , Sam.

This is our schedule:

We'll arive from Düsseldorf (GER) at JFK wedn. 9/16, stay in NYC for a couple of days and then:

Sund. 9/20. Maple Leaf dep. 7.15 am form NYP to N. Falls arr. 4.30 pm

Mond. 21/9. LSL dep. Buf. Depew 11.59 to CHI arr. 9/22 9.45 am

Thurs. 9/24. CZ dep. CHI 2.00 pm to Gl. Springs, CO arr. 9/25 1.53 pm

Mond. 9/28. CZ dep. G. Springs 1.53 pm to Emeryville, CA arr. 9/29 5.40 pm

Sat. 10/3 CS dep. Emeryville 8.20 am to LA arr. 9.00 pm

From LA we'll be forced to rent a car, because we want to visit some places that are barely - or not at all - reachable by public transport. And we have to get back in Miami by 10/16 for the flight back to Düsseldorf.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would imagine that if you can call it would be better, but I'm pleasantly suprised that their email is so efficient. If that works, great!

Perhaps in an email, you can ask to book everything through the 28th right now, and then when you get your reservation number, you can ask to add the 10/3 leg to that number in a separate email on the 3rd. That way you won't fall 15 days late in booking your earliest trains.

Good luck! I'm sufficiently jealous that I am not a tourist in my own land!

I would imagine that if you can call it would be better, but I'm pleasantly suprised that their email is so efficient. If that works, great!
Perhaps in an email, you can ask to book everything through the 28th right now, and then when you get your reservation number, you can ask to add the 10/3 leg to that number in a separate email on the 3rd. That way you won't fall 15 days late in booking your earliest trains.

Good luck! I'm sufficiently jealous that I am not a tourist in my own land!

Thanks Venture, just sent them an email with your suggestions. Hope it works!

Amtrak just declined my new request.

So, here's a little recent history of our correspondence.

Dec. 31, Amtrak emailed:

The dates that you want to reserve are beyond the limits of the pass.

VALIDITY LIMITS:

- THE PASS IS VALID FOR TRAVEL FOR 180 DAYS AND ALL TRAVEL MUST BE COMPLETED WITHIN 180 DAYS OF RESERVING THE PASS WITHIN THE SPECIFIC PASS VALIDITY LIMITS.

Would you like for me to cancel your USA Rail Pass Reservations and reverse the charges back to your

credit card?

For your travel dates, you would have to make your reservations at the end of March or early April.

Regards,

Ron Stockunas

Amtrak International Sales

Last week - end of March -we've tried again.

This what Amtrak answered yesterday (03/30):

Hello,

Once you start booking, your last travel date must be completed by the 180th day from the day of

booking. You cannot start your reservation process, until April 8th. Please contact us at that time.

Regards,

Amtrak International Sales

Finally today I tried what VentureForth suggested (see above) and this what I asked Amtrak:

Can't we book the legs that are already within the 180-days limit (e.g. till the end of september) and the last leg later?

That would be very helpful.

Best regards,

And this is their answer:

No, your 180 days starts with your first booking.

Can anybody in very, very simple English explain to me what's happening here?

I think I understand it now.

Once you buy the pass, your bookings must be made within 180 days from the day you buy your pass. For example, if you buy your pass on March 1, 2009, all travel must be completed by August 28, 2009.

Therefore, to travel on October 3, 2009, you must purchase your pass no earlier than April 6, 2009.

The limiting factor here is the time from when you purchase your pass until it expires (180 days) - NOT how far in advance you can book a reservation (which is a year, but you can only book a reservation for the pass after purchasing it).

I think you will need to get a refund and purchase your pass on April 6.

Sorry for the confusion. I hope it's a bit clearer now.

I think I understand it now.
Once you buy the pass, your bookings must be made within 180 days from the day you buy your pass. For example, if you buy your pass on March 1, 2009, all travel must be completed by August 28, 2009.

Therefore, to travel on October 3, 2009, you must purchase your pass no earlier than April 6, 2009.

The limiting factor here is the time from when you purchase your pass until it expires (180 days) - NOT how far in advance you can book a reservation (which is a year, but you can only book a reservation for the pass after purchasing it).

I think you will need to get a refund and purchase your pass on April 6.

Sorry for the confusion. I hope it's a bit clearer now.
Ah, finally got it! Maybe Amtrak can use your explanation to clear things up on their own website. Thanks again!!!

This is our schedule:

That looks like a good schedule, but you can do it better WITHOUT THE PASS.

I just did a test booking on Amtrak.com for these routes and dates, coach fare, one adult.

Maple Leaf is $78.

Using the "Multi-City" feature the rest of the trip is $323.

Total Rail Fare for Coach is $401.

Cost of RailPass is $389.

Net Savings with Pass is ONLY $12.

However, once the pass becomes active, you can NO LONGER get any kind of refund or change or exchange on these tickets. They must be used EXACTLY as issued or they become worthless. If you need to travel on a different date for any leg of the trip, then you must buy the new ticket on your own. WHEREAS if you travel WITHOUT the Pass, all tickets remain refundable and exchangable for other travel dates (subject to change in the seat pricing buckets).

In other words, for only $12 more, you can book your entire trip on-line TODAY with tickets that remain fully refundable and keeping your itinerary flexible.

Extra charges for sleeping accommodations would be the same, With or Without the Pass.

That's a good bargain for $12. I personally would recommend it. (As Amtrak has noted, the price you have already spent for the Pass can be refunded before the date of your trip, so you lose nothing.)

This is our schedule:

That looks like a good schedule, but you can do it better WITHOUT THE PASS.

I just did a test booking on Amtrak.com for these routes and dates, coach fare, one adult.

Maple Leaf is $78.

Using the "Multi-City" feature the rest of the trip is $323.

Total Rail Fare for Coach is $401.

Cost of RailPass is $389.

Net Savings with Pass is ONLY $12.

However, once the pass becomes active, you can NO LONGER get any kind of refund or change or exchange on these tickets. They must be used EXACTLY as issued or they become worthless. If you need to travel on a different date for any leg of the trip, then you must buy the new ticket on your own. WHEREAS if you travel WITHOUT the Pass, all tickets remain refundable and exchangable for other travel dates (subject to change in the seat pricing buckets).

In other words, for only $12 more, you can book your entire trip on-line TODAY with tickets that remain fully refundable and keeping your itinerary flexible.

Extra charges for sleeping accommodations would be the same, With or Without the Pass.

That's a good bargain for $12. I personally would recommend it. (As Amtrak has noted, the price you have already spent for the Pass can be refunded before the date of your trip, so you lose nothing.)
I've just checked and you're absolutely right! Never ever thought of trying the Multi-City feature. Probably because it only contains 4 legs and we needed at least five. A classical case of being shortsighted!

Thanks, p&sr!

I've just checked and you're absolutely right! Never ever thought of trying the Multi-City feature. Probably because it only contains 4 legs and we needed at least five. A classical case of being shortsighted!Thanks, p&sr!
I checked another way (EMY to LAX separately and the rest on Multi-City) and got the same $401 total fare (coach).

For your stop at EMY, I presume you wish to visit San Francisco. Using Multi-City, Amtrak can get you there directly by a connecting bus from EMY. Just use code "SFC" (or any of the San Francisco codes) instead of "EMY". The fare will be unchanged, that is, your connecting bus is FREE if reserved along with your long-distance ticket.

Likewise from EMY to LAX, you could use "SFC to LAX" instead. The Bus connection is either at EMY or at OKJ, depending how you arrange it. Again, no extra charge for the connecting Bus on Amtrak.

If it helps, Amtrak has a couple of Student Discounts for 15% off, including with the "International Student ID Card".

I've just checked and you're absolutely right! Never ever thought of trying the Multi-City feature. Probably because it only contains 4 legs and we needed at least five. A classical case of being shortsighted!Thanks, p&sr!
I checked another way (EMY to LAX separately and the rest on Multi-City) and got the same $401 total fare (coach).

For your stop at EMY, I presume you wish to visit San Francisco. Using Multi-City, Amtrak can get you there directly by a connecting bus from EMY. Just use code "SFC" (or any of the San Francisco codes) instead of "EMY". The fare will be unchanged, that is, your connecting bus is FREE if reserved along with your long-distance ticket.

Likewise from EMY to LAX, you could use "SFC to LAX" instead. The Bus connection is either at EMY or at OKJ, depending how you arrange it. Again, no extra charge for the connecting Bus on Amtrak.

If it helps, Amtrak has a couple of Student Discounts for 15% off, including with the "International Student ID Card".
I sometimes wouldn't know what to do without all the help/advice on this forum. Does Amtrak ever acknowledges the good work you're all doing here for them?

Thanks again, p&sr and others. Please keep going on with all your invaluable tips/hints/advices!

Well Good Luck with the sleeper upgrade, it's already at $ 469 for CHI-Glenwood Springs. That's about three times of what I paid for this trip in the reverse direction in July.

=> Prices for sleeper upgrades were up to the second highest bucket when I checked first, but then they dropped to the lowest bucket, but i've no idea why.

BTW: Get your seats in Lounge Car before the train leaves Denver (when the masses are still hanging around in the Union Station) and sit on the right hand side, note also that the train changes direction in Denver,

Well Good Luck with the sleeper upgrade, it's already at $ 469 for CHI-Glenwood Springs. That's about three times of what I paid for this trip in the reverse direction in July.

Sam: That's exactly why I couldn't wait to get those passes. Surely wished I realised about the Multi-City feature earlier. Back in December the roomette to GSC was under $ 250, just as GSC-EMY (now nearly $400).

=> Prices for sleeper upgrades were up to the second highest bucket when I checked first, but then they dropped to the lowest bucket, but i've no idea why.
Are you saying that it might be smart to wait with the upgrades and is it possible to upgrade from seats in a later stadium through the Amtrak-website? But then again: we can't run the risk the sleepers are sold out, so I guess I'd better arrange everything asap, which means today!

On second thoughts: if I make my Multi-City reservations today and sleeper prices drop in the near future for whatever reasons, I can always cancel my reservations and make new ones at a lowere price, can't I?

On second thoughts: if I make my Multi-City reservations today and sleeper prices drop in the near future for whatever reasons, I can always cancel my reservations and make new ones at a lowere price, can't I?
That is the advantage of buying conventionally. Since you will not pick up your tickets for quite some time, you can change the reservations at your will. If you see a price drop, book it first and cancel the previous.

I don't know if it will help at all, but you may want to get an Amtrak Guest Rewards account set up (just in case you can make enough miles that you can use next year).

Yeah - I think that going ala carte' is the way to go.

Are you saying that it might be smart to wait with the upgrades and is it possible to upgrade from seats in a later stadium through the Amtrak-website? But then again: we can't run the risk the sleepers are sold out, so I guess I'd better arrange everything asap, which means today!
No I am not saying that, as I was very surprised by this thing and just wanted to mention it: If the question is sleeper or coach, you may wait, if the question is sleeper or plane, then you should book it.

I think so, but I never had to cancel something.

Anyway: booked everything today (except for the last leg SFC-LAX), so now you all can expect questions on what to do (or don't) in New York, Chicago, etc and how checked luggage in detail works.

So far you've all been a tremendous help, specially in the last few days. Thanks a lot!

Ruud & Lia

Good Luck with your trip.. I don't think Guest Rewards, as suggested by someone earlier, are available to non usa residents.

As to value, passes seem good if you are taking advantage of longer distances, as each segment works out to a cost of around $45. So quite a saving on the $150 or so from Chicago to LAX, SEA, or EMY.

Ed B)

As to value, passes seem good if you are taking advantage of longer distances, as each segment works out to a cost of around $45.
You can travel from Boston to Los Angeles for $193. Round trip would be $386, which is less than the $389 for a 15-day Pass.

This round trip would take 4 or 6 segments, so if used with a Pass you still get another 2 to 4 segments along with it.

For itineraries shorter than round-trip cross-country, it is hard to show significant savings with the Pass. But still possible, depending how the Trip is broken up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back