Developing Grass-roots support for each long-distance route

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
-----------------------------------------------

>Subject: Developing Grass-roots support for each long-distance route

>Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 11:45:28 -0400

>From: "NARP" <[email protected]>

>To: "NARP" <[email protected]>

>

>To NARP Members, August 9, 2006--

>

>The budget battles of recent years make it clear that Amtrak's critics

>are out to get rid of all long distance trains. We can stop them by

>making noise and demonstrating strong public support for these trains.

>

>NARP is organizing a campaign to form "route teams" to support each long

>distance route. If you can do even such simple things as talk, walk,

>phone, and pass out leaflets we need you to join this important campaign

>that will strengthen and grow these important trains. Organizing

>ourselves at the local, grass roots level is the way to do this. It is

>an essential component in our ongoing campaign to preserve and improve

>the long distance system.

>

>The model for these groups would be the very successful Texas Eagle

>Marketing and Performance Organization, or Tempo. It has been in

>existence for nine years and has proven to be an effective voice and

>advocate for the Texas Eagle, and spurred the formation of a similar

>group for the Heartland Flyer. Grass roots organizing is what saved the

>Texas Eagle and its how we're going to prevail in our fight to protect

>other routes.

>

>We need volunteers in every area where Amtrak has a station -- including

>cities and towns that have Thruway bus connections. Anyone and everyone

>who has a little time can make a difference.

>

>Some of our ideas for what we would like to see these groups do:

>

>--establish relationships with local businesses, chambers of commerce,

>and newspaper editorial boards; engage them to promote their train

>service and also make them aware of the threats outlined above

>

>--reach out to local elected officials and make sure they are aware of

>the train and the continual threats to Amtrak's long distance system

>from Washington

>

>--pass out literature at stations

>

>--get merchants to put posters in store windows

>

>--attend meeting with your Representative and Senator when they have

>town hall meetings

>

>--raise the general visibility of the train in your community and

>region.

>

>This is by no means a complete list. Groups may take on other tasks

>they deem appropriate. In some cases, the teams' work will strengthen

>and expand on efforts already under way by Amtrak ticket agents and

>other people acting individually.

>

>If you would like to volunteer along the Amtrak long distance route you

>live near, please reply to this E-mail. Include all of your contact

>information: name, address, phone number and E-mail.

>

>Since a key element of the groups will be interaction with local

>officials, we would prefer those that live along a specific route become

>involved with that route. However, Thruway Bus connections count as

>well (e.g. Duluth, MN for the Empire Builder). And, yes, we would love

>to have participation for the long distance trains that serve stations

>on the Northeast Corridor!

>

>There are many tasks to do. The first step is to volunteer. We will

>get back to those who are interested once we gauge overall interest in

>the program, identify leaders, and begin the effort to organize each

>route.

>

>-Ross B. Capon

>NARP Executive Director

The TEMPO organization has, in fact, been very successful and has had the support of Amtrak management; however the dedication of the Amtrak employees involved and the volunteers from the community is extremely time consuming. That group knows the train and has kept statistics on ridership and revenue for years and they fully understand the trends of the train and the needs of their communities.

If other such organizations are to be successful, they must be as highly organized as TEMPO and need to have complet comittment from all volunteers. This kind of grassroots marketing cannot be done overnight and is much more than passing out leaflets or flyers at stations. It takes dedication and the willingness to understand what can and what cannot be done within the Amtrak framework.

More power to any long distance train group that steps up to the plate!

I have wondered about something for sometime and this thread seems like a good place to ask.

I live 300 miles East from the closest Amtrak Station serving the SW Chief or 390 miles West of one serving the Texas Eagle. WE therefore never hear of any advertising for Amtrak, local or national.

Does Amtrak do any advertising anywhere? I suppose they may in the NEC and Chicago area but I wonder about Nation wide? If so, how often do you as a rail fan hear or see these advertisements?

I also would venture to guess that very little money if any would/could be spared for this expense.

I will say it takes a lot of time and work you need to have people that know a lot about Amtrak in every issue because the media will contact you a lot.

As far as the marketing or promotions part that is very hard to get involved into which one of my groups does Save Our Trains Mississippi.

The other thing is it takes a lot of money because if you become a 501 c or non profit group it will put limitations on what you can do.

The other thing is you can't put fliers in all the stations for reasons such as the city might not let you hand out or pass out fliers with out getting permission 1st.

Also i have seen that it works better not to hand out fliers on the platform people don't like to be bugged just leave the fliers on a table where passengers can take them if they want to and have someone at the station during train time to answer questions.

Save Our Trains Michigan was started in Nov of 2002 and has been a very powerful group in Michigan along with the Michigan Association of Railroad Passengers.

Save Our Trains Mississippi was started just over a year ago and has been a big success in the area.

We do have Amtrak employees involved with our groups that do it in there free time and not on Amtrak's time.

I hope they can get the program off the ground. I support it because i have seen what the 2 groups i am in charge of has done in the areas that we cover.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes Amtrak has marketing departments that are spread out across the network but have very little money in there budget so they will use the marketing money in the area's where there is support such as city's getting involved radio stations/tv stations/hotels/and other events.

Yes Amtrak has marketing departments that are spread out across the network but have very little money in there budget so they will use the marketing money in the area's where there is support such as city's getting involved radio stations/tv stations/hotels/and other events.
Amtrak used to do more national advertising. Wasn't their slogan "All aboard Amtrak"? or something like that?

I wish they would advertise nationally on tv. I mean buy one add on the Superbowl to let people know Amtrak is around. A lot of people don't even consider Amtrak because it isn't really on their radar.

Plus we must be united and speak positively of Amtrak to people. If they are train people then we can be more honest but at first you have to be positive. To non-train people I am very, very positive about Amtrak.

Plus we must be united and speak positively of Amtrak to people. If they are train people then we can be more honest but at first you have to be positive. To non-train people I am very, very positive about Amtrak.
I'm sorry, but have to disagree with you on that. People need to be told the truth, even if it is horrible. Telling someone that they will arrive on time for example, when the odds are simply not in their favor for an on time arrival, isn't the correct answer. One should explain why it is beyond Amtrak's control, but one should be telling the truth.

A first timer walking into the station who is prepared and knows the facts, will be far more likely to return to Amtrak in the future, even if they are late or encounter other problems. Someone who was promised something and doesn't get it, will be extremely mad at Amtrak and the information source.

We all know that there are problems with Amtrak, some of which are completely beyond their control, some of which are directly related to lack of funding, and some of which are completely Amtrak's fault and could be fixed.

But trying to gloss things over with a happy smile isn't the best way to get repeat riders. It only gets one time riders, who after they're done, may actually go out and help support those who want to get rid of Amtrak.

I'm sorry, but have to disagree with you on that. People need to be told the truth, even if it is horrible. Telling someone that they will arrive on time for example, when the odds are simply not in their favor for an on time arrival, isn't the correct answer. One should explain why it is beyond Amtrak's control, but one should be telling the truth.

A first timer walking into the station who is prepared and knows the facts, will be far more likely to return to Amtrak in the future, even if they are late or encounter other problems. Someone who was promised something and doesn't get it, will be extremely mad at Amtrak and the information source.

We all know that there are problems with Amtrak, some of which are completely beyond their control, some of which are directly related to lack of funding, and some of which are completely Amtrak's fault and could be fixed.

But trying to gloss things over with a happy smile isn't the best way to get repeat riders. It only gets one time riders, who after they're done, may actually go out and help support those who want to get rid of Amtrak.

Very well said Alan. I must say I concur! OBS...

I would go even further than that, to say that the "everything about Amtrak is wonderful" is the worst possible thing you could do if you want to encourage ridership.

--- Tell someone that things are much better than they are, then have them ride Amtrak. They will be horribly disappointed, and will tell everyone they meet that Amtrak is a complete failure and "DON'T EVER RIDE IT!!" They will reinforce that with true details about their own failed trip. Then THOSE folks will tell other folks about how bad Amtrak is, and THOSE folks will tell still others the same thing. And each time, the report will be more negative and more exaggerated to the negative side. Your having told ONE person that Amtrak is"wonderful" will end up costing Amtrak perhaps 50-100 prospective customers. I'd rather have you not ever even speak the word Amtrak to anyone, ever, than to have that happen.

Tell people that you ride Amtrak, and why. Tell them the good things, but also tell them the bad things, along with an explanation that those things generally are not Amtrak's fault, and why. They need to know they likely will not be on time, and depending on the route, may be hours and hours late. But point out the things you enjoy about the trains, especially if you can turn a negative into a partial positive.

But, whatever you do, DON'T gloss over, or, worse, lie about, the negatives. People will not hold bad things to be Amtrak's fault if they know to expect them BEFORE they buy the ticket. And if they enjoy the trip even with the negatives, THEY will tell other people about their trip, the good and the bad, but if they enjoyed it, their report to others will also be positive and balanced.

The first thing I explain to people that they will not be on time if they are taking the CZ. The CZ westbound into Lincoln is usually close to being on time, unfortunetely, the eastbound is always 3 to 4 hours late. So I DO give that a positive spin. I always say, "check train status, and if the eastbound is real late, that means you don't have to get up in the middle of the night to catch the train (actual arrival time is 0400) and you can still get to Chicago by 6sih!" I really hammer on the "journey is as fun as the destination", sorry....but if they are fellow Democrats I tell them, "this is a real good way to say up yours to the Bush Administration". I also tell them about how much more relaxing it is. On adverstising ?!? I have hardly ever seen any ads for Amtrak around here. The most advertising they get here is me wearing my Amtrak t-shirt! :lol: I at least have printed out a ton of "fare sheets " with people who are honestly interested in using Amtrak. When you could type in the H570 code (until 8/3) it really got people somewhat serious about it. I have also decided to be more objective in "who" I promote Amtrak to. There's just some people who are just too much of pansies to take a train ride. If they are consistently "whining" about "life", I just bite my lip cuz I know they will "whine" about everything about riding the rails. Even my girlfriend will say, "Al, those people are pretty delicate, I don't think they would enjoy riding Amtrak." And I have to agree with her statements on some of the people I haven't take much time to sell Amtrak to.

As far as advertising is concerned, it someone lives 300 miles from an Amtrak station there is almost no chance that they will see Amtrak advertising or promotions, since there is so little money for advertising and marketing that they must "fish where the fish are" - close to Amtrak stations and in towns and regions where there is a stronger propensity for people to travel. Unfortunately, with 500 cities served it is not possible to have meaningful messages in all of those locations. I know everyone thinks their city is one that could benefit from Amtrak advertising, but that is just not possible.

That is why this suggestion from NARP is so important. Local grassroots efforts can be very effective, but as previous posters have mentioned, there is a "mixed message" about the product. Not everything works as planned and if people have a pre-conceived notion that it will all be great, they will be doubly disappointed when the train is late, the service is not up to par and the trains are not clean. As with the rest of our lives - honesty is the best policy.

I don't think NARP is looking for help with funding issues, but with the promotion and marketing of the various trains on a grassroots level. Westrain seems like a good model to me.

In order to what NARP wants to do from reading the release they want you to be able to create a relationship with the city's towns etc which means you will have to do some funding issues other wise the city's or towns won't get involved.

Also if you read it says passing out fliers etc so you better know what your talking about with the funding of Amtrak.

See westrain is funded by the county's and city's that the Pere Marquette serves.

I have been heavily involved with Amtrak all around these areas for over 4 years and you can't just jump into promoting the trains it would take years to make sure that the group is stable and has enough knowledge about Amtrak.

And you can't have a group passing out fliers that just promotes the trains the passengers want a group that will help save the trains in there area.

Matt Marderosian

Director of

Save Our Trains Michigan/Save Our Trains Mississippi

www.saveourtrainsmichigan.com

www.saveourtrainsmississippi.com

Here is what a Director/Leader of a grassroots group does.

You would receive about 100-200 e mails a day that you will have to go thru,be on the phone for at least 4hrs a day.

You would also get complaints from passengers via e mail so you need to know how to handle those and where to direct them in the most direct route.

Stay on top of freight delays so you can issue watches and deal with the issue in a proper manner.

When your on the train or at the station explain to passengers how Amtrak works and how the funding works because 90% of the passengers I talk with have no idea anything about Amtrak.

Issue fliers at stations when an issue arises which can cost a lot of money to do.

Use the Internet to post updates start a Yahoo group or forum board for your group

Have a web site for your group that has to be updated at least weekly if possible or as an issue arises.

Try to get involved with the city or town your in with the local restaurants/hotels/convince stores around the station where Amtrak passengers go and tell them that if the train was to get taken off there revenue could drop.

And the most important thing is get to know your local Amtrak crews if they trust you they will try and help you in any way they can on there days off they might attend meetings in there local city to discuss Amtrak issues.

The news media will contact you when your not counting on it to run a story on the train so have your facts ready at a seconds notice for the media.

If anyone is truly interested in getting something established to support a particular route, it would seem that contacting the TEMPO group that assists with the Texas Eagle would be the prudent thing to do. The TEMPO group is made up of volunteers, employees of Amtrak and representatives of the various cities along the route. I can't imagine doing anything to support a route without the blessing of Amtrak - especially when it comes to speaking to the media and passing out literature at Amtrak stations. TEMPO has been around for a number of years and they can certainly provide guidelines for establishment of a support group.

haolerider your right it does no good if you don't have the support of Amtrak.

The groups i run we have the support from all around and have Amtrak employees involved with our 2 groups plus we have a relationship with the unions that represent Amtrak employees.

The thing that our Michigan group off the ground was getting the ticket agents back into the stations after MDOT pulled the agents out of East Lansing Flint Port Huron.

Also the TCU union did a story on Save Our Trains Michigan in there union paper about us getting the agents back.

This happened back in 2003

And since then we are a very powerfull Amtrak group in Michigan.

While I certainly can't speak for NARP, I'd have to guess that organization would want to replicate TEMPO across all the LD routes.

Pennsylvania in particular presents some unique challenges. Western Pennsylvania, IMO, does not have any effective marketing of Amtrak service. There is also "the train" -- one train east/west to NY; one train southeast/northwest to Washington; one train west/east to Chicago. By contrast, PennDOT has seen fit to pump millions into rehabbing Harrisburg-Philadelphia -- in the eastern half of the state. Likewise, there are some very active groups, such as DVARP to plug for what's needed on the eastern part of the state. Efforts on the western side, by contrast, have been moribund. I think the last effort was in 1998, or so, when some runs were added PGH-ALT.

(In fairness to Amtrak, a colleague of mine recently traveled from Greensburg, PA to Philadelphia on #42/43. He noted a full lounge and separate 60-seat business class car on both runs of #42/43. The business class had been selling out, and Amtrak's planners seemed wedded to the idea of keeping a cafe/business class car in the consist, instead of the two separate cars. But someone at Amtrak was watching, and added the greater capacity cars. I haven't been able to make it trackside to verify this, and I don't know if it was strictly a weekend thing, or not. But I have to give Amtrak credit for adding the capacity. My colleague reported a number -- he didn't say exactly how many -- upgraded when they learned there were plenty of seats and free drinks with a business class upgrade. But I'm getting off the subject.)

There's Erie, PA, as well, with its only service being the LSL. Or possibly a revival of Harrisburg - Buffalo service. Pipe dreams are out there right now, for sure, but with the US transportation system as it is, perhaps the USA needs some more dreaming right now.

Just a Q
How many of you on here that post would like to start a group under this program.
How interesting,

Is what I thought when I saw the e-mail message from NARP. I don't know if any of you recall, but about 12 years ago, NARP sent out a similar message and asked it's Members to both suggest how to run a local grassroots political action group, and what we thought were the most important actions to pursue. Since e-mail wasn't a big thing at the time, I wrote an impassioned letter on what I thought should be done and offered myself as a possible leader/worker. I never received any acknowledgement (despite a phone call where the person at the other end acknowledged receiving my letter but didn't even say thanks) and never heard anything more about this possible program again.

Now here we are 12 years later, and they're talking about the same thing again! While the idea is great, I am leary about offering any help. Why? Because while I have belonged to NARP for 25 years, I find that they rarely, if ever, respond to Members when questions or support is needed. I assume their staff is so small that their focus has always been on the National Level and thus they cannot respond in a timely manner to local activities. Thus my expectations of them are low...will something come of this? I hope so, but I'm adopting a wait and see attitude. Meanwhile, I talk up Amtrak and share information, wherever/whenever the opportunity arises!

I am curious if anyone on this Forum is really interested in getting a group started to support one of the long distance trains? There has been a lot of discussion about the NARP proposal, but no action yet. Any leaders out there?

I just returned from an auto trip to New England. In Portland, ME, I picked up the 36 page pamphlet for "Downeaster Deals". This is what Amtrak should be doing for all routes and I am sure contributes to the Downeaster success. Apparently put out by the New England Passenger Rail Authority. It states: " While part of the national system, the Downeaster displays its own unique personality to its passengers.... With one of the best on time performance standards... and crews rated among the highest in customer satisfaction, the Downeaster has a lot to be proud of."

I believe different labor contracts apply to the Downeaster which may help its success. The pamphlet also has comprehensive info on the cafe car and menu, city attractions and maps, connecting Concord Trailways schedules, Downeaster schedules and fares, connections to Logan airport. You name it, this covers it. I am sure the cost for it is covered by the ads included, which are useful too ie. Old Town Trolley Tours.

This is a simple but effective tool for the uninformed. Certainly a model for the rest of Amtrak.

This publication is produced by the State of Vermont - at their cost - to support their train. It indeed is a good publication and could be the model for other state funded operations throughout the Amtrak system. Each state seems to have a different philosophy for how they want to market and advertise their product and since they "pay the bills", that is the way it works.

There still don't seem to be any takers for the task of organizing a support group for various long distance trains.

This publication is produced by the State of Vermont - at their cost - to support their train.
I'm assuming that you meant the State of Maine, as I can't imagine why Vermont would pay to advertise the Downeaster, which goes no where near Vermont.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back