Desktop PC on Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And true for checked luggage when flying by air. The luggage distribution system in an airport can be similar to a sorting center. There are some baggage handlers who read "fragile" to mean "throw me!"

Another advantage of Amtrak: your checked luggage doesn't have to travel anywhere by conveyor.
I second this. Airlines don't seem to be particularly careful with checked bags. One time I was looking out the window of an A320 when we were at the gate, and saw a small suitcase fall off the conveyer belt leading into the adjacent plane's cargo hold. The man dealing with the bags only seemed to notice that suitcase as he was leaving.

And true for checked luggage when flying by air. The luggage distribution system in an airport can be similar to a sorting center. There are some baggage handlers who read "fragile" to mean "throw me!"

Another advantage of Amtrak: your checked luggage doesn't have to travel anywhere by conveyor.
I second this. Airlines don't seem to be particularly careful with checked bags. One time I was looking out the window of an A320 when we were at the gate, and saw a small suitcase fall off the conveyer belt leading into the adjacent plane's cargo hold. The man dealing with the bags only seemed to notice that suitcase as he was leaving.

As far as I can tell, they don't really care other than disclaiming liability if anything is damaged, lost, or stolen in checked baggage. The category include all fragile and valuable items, including money.
While I do not disagree in general terms if I was carrying a unique and/or expensive custom built device (computer or otherwise) I would want to know if my rights and/or insurance were potentially invalidated by transporting it in a manner that was not officially sanctioned.

Checked baggage handling on Amtrak generally is so much better than the airline cattle car operation.
Although this doesn't seem to come up very often I would have to agree. Based on what I've seen over the years Amtrak seems to do a much better job of not treating your checked luggage like inconvenient trash. I've had nothing but bad experiences with checked luggage on airlines. Delayed departures, absent arrivals, security distractions, sloppy repacking, missing items, and bags that simply vanished altogether. It finally got to the point that I almost never check anything anymore. Better to pack less and ensure I'll have something rather than packing more and risk arriving with nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I can tell, they don't really care other than disclaiming liability if anything is damaged, lost, or stolen in checked baggage. The category include all fragile and valuable items, including money.
While I do not disagree in general terms if I was carrying a unique and/or expensive custom built device (computer or otherwise) I would want to know if my rights and/or insurance were potentially invalidated by transporting it in a manner that was not officially sanctioned.
Sure. But it's probably not one of the things that would get someone tossed, such as placing dangerous chemicals or undeclared firearms in baggage. Putting those terms out there gives them the chance to let the passenger know they were warned about it if they come back to Amtrak complaining about a damaged computer monitor.

Still - factory packed electronics are moved around the world by DHL/UPS/FedEx. A lot of people ordering custom ordering computers these days see that they were shipped straight from a factory in Asia, but packed in lots of foam. I doubt that air freight is any more gentle than Amtrak baggage handling.

when shipping electronics, using soft form fitting foam against a plastic sheet helps to protect the item from moving or receiving major shocks once the foam hardens to the shape of the items and the shape of the box.

I guess the point is that though you really don't want to check something expensive and fragile like a computer, no matter what the form of transit, Amtrak would still be a hell of a lot better than the airlines. Still not recommending it though.

Shippers of very expensive electronics often have shock detectors stuck onto the packaging. If it indicates shock or jarring greater than that which is permissible you must note it (or in some cases refuse delivery) with the shipper when accepting the shipment.

Wish we had those when our Sun triple redundant servers shipped from England to the US. Even with all the protection Sun installed in each server, sometimes we got a dented metal case. Of course all hell broke loose when the $300K claim was filed, then for a while each was handled like a carton of eggs, managers were watching.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve transported a desktop computer inside a suitcase on Amtrak before. No problem. I didn’t take it out of the suitcase during the trip so no one knew what was inside. The suitcase just sat on the luggage rack on the lower level of my sleeper throughout the 26-hour journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back