Denver Union Station Location

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CNW

Service Attendant
I just now booked a trip to Denver. I am scheduled to come back on a Sunday morning via the bus to Raton and then picking up the Chief. I am staying at the Comfort Inn downtown and didn't have any fears of walking down the 16th street mall at probably about 4:30 in the morning to get to the Denver Union station, but I now see that it has been moved. The maps from the Amtrak site says it is an 18 to 20 minute walk from the old station to the new but it only appears to be about 6 blocks. Has anyone done this? Also how safe is the new neighborhood for walking at approximately 5AM?

Basically your two choices are:

1) Walk through the massive construction site north of old Union Station. It will be a detour because you'll have to walk around Union Station and Wewatta St. is closed.

2) Walk through the very long 20th St. underpass (between Wazee St. and Chestnut Pl., about 1500 ft long). It will also be a detour, because you'll have to backtrack from Chestnut Pl. to the temporary station.

The map on this flyer may help to visualize these two options: http://www.denverunionstation.org/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=434&Itemid=

To me, neither of those options sounds terribly inviting at 5 AM. You'll probably be OK, but you'll be walking through some very deserted areas. I'd play it safe and grab a cab at the hotel.

Actually I scratched the whole thing and decided to ride back to Gbb on the CZ and then the Chief to Kcy. I see the Zephyr has a detour around Omaha is that still in effect and if so where does it go?

You mean the CZ going east don't you? I am also catching the CZ going west as well.

I looked at the map and thanks for sending....I will be staying at the Brown Palace and it looked like you could walk straight up 20th....Doesn't matter now but was just wondering..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back