Denver rental car logistics

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BCL

Engineer
Thinking of taking the CZ eastbound to Denver arriving on a weekday. Scheduled arrival is 6:38 PM and most of the rental car companies in the area seem to close at 6/7 PM.

If I do this, I think my first option would be to rent at the airport and get there by bus. I understand that RTD has an airport bus that boards right at the Union Station underground bus concourse for an $11 adult fare, and my kid would be free. The drop off point is supposed to be right about where the rental shuttles pick up at the international terminal .

I'm pricing rental cars, and it's more for the airport, but I might just do it for the convenience, especially since I plan on flying home from DEN. I worry about getting there in time or something going wrong if I arrange for a drop off at Union Station for a rental car.

Suggestion re:rental car.

We arrived on the CZ and had a downtown hotel for the night of arrival (Hyatt on price1ine for pretty cheap). The next morning, we picked up a rental car from Budget downtown which was walking distance from the hotel. There was no extra charge to drop the car at the airport when we flew out, and extra fees were much less since it was not an airport rental. Car rentals at the airport in Denver are crazy high.

Yes, unless you need the car that evening, it is much better to have a hotel to stay that night and get a fresh start in the morning. Fees are much less by avoiding airport rentals. With the variable OTP of Amtrak, its better not having to worry about the time of arrival into Denver and getting transportation out to the airport at some late hour.

I disagree about airport rentals. We took a taxi from the CZ to a hotel near the airport. Cost was a little more than the Express bus but a LOT faster. We stayed overnight and walked across the street to the Enterprise place (off airport). We had pre-arranged a car, got a non-airport price and since we were touring up in SD, we saved time driving that morning.

The secret is to not use the "on-airport" locations but use the ones nearby to avoid airport surcharges. Hotels are a lot cheaper than downtown.

I'm looking to be there for an event in the morning on the day after I arrive. I'd really like to get to a hotel near the event site, which is why I'd lean towards renting at the airport (for the hours). If the downtown rental places were open later, I'd probably want that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back