DEN-ATL trip, various

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

northnorthwest

Service Attendant
Getting excited as we prep for our trip in another week and a half from DEN to ATL. I was looking at the menus, and it looks like they are all exactly the same. So is there absolutely NO difference in what's being offered on the three trains we'll take?

Next, what are your insider scoops for the (hopefully on-time or early) layovers in CHI and WAS? I think we'll want to get some exercise to break up the travel, but we wouldn't mind checking out something very unique that's doable from the station.

Finally, I booked this through AGR points. We have a roomette. Is there any way to pay the difference for a portion of the trip to upgrade to a bedroom or something similar?

By the way I've done all portions of this trip already, including the Crescent portion many times PHL-ATL, but this will be the first time doing it all together. 3 nights on the train and 8 meals is a lot!

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope you taking the Card to WAS ,,,,,, if you have never been to the top of the tower in Chi do that if you have enough time,,,

In Washington I've taken in some of the museums and gone to UNOs on a layover. I've seen a lot around DC on a six hour layover. It all depends how efficient Metro is and how fast you walk. Give yourself about 90 minutes to get back depending on the amount of transfers. It took me 45 minutes once from LEnfant to get to Union Station

CVille is a wonderful layover. And one of our members here lives or works there if I remember right. He could tell you more about that. I love downtown personally there. Great layover

CVille is a wonderful layover. And one of our members here lives or works there if I remember right. He could tell you more about that. I love downtown personally there. Great layover
That's good to know. As part of a long Amtrak trip my uncle and I are taking in August, we are taking the Cardinal from Chicago and transferring to the Crescent in Charlottesville. We like Northnorthwest are connecting to the Cardinal in Chicago from the CZ. But we are starting in Seattle and conncecting to the CZ in Sacramento after an overnight on the CS. And from Charlottesville, taking the Crescent to New Orleans, staying over a couple of nights, and returning to Seattle by way of the SL and CS. Northnorthwest, enjoy your trip! I'm looking forward to a trip report; it will whet my appetite for our trip in seven months. :)

The way we're scheduled now only allows the capitol limited CHI-WAS. We'd have to change the day to take the cardinal. Oh, well. I'm hoping to take that train one of these days.

Getting excited as we prep for our trip in another week and a half from DEN to ATL. I was looking at the menus, and it looks like they are all exactly the same. So is there absolutely NO difference in what's being offered on the three trains we'll take?
Several of the trains will probably be completely missing items on the menu, due to improper stocking practices. Does this count as a difference? :p

I have found the Cap roomettes and bedrooms to be pretty close in price much of the time. An example is Jan 29. Price difference is pretty close. Go on Amtrak site and check. If price is right call guest rewards and change.

As I usually have been on the CZ two nights by the time I board the Cap I pick up a dinner in the station to go. Breaks up the 3 nights in a row of same dinners.

In Washington there are a bunch of museums. Look them up and just hop a taxi. Have a nice trip.

I have found the Cap roomettes and bedrooms to be pretty close in price much of the time. An example is Jan 29. Price difference is pretty close. Go on Amtrak site and check. If price is right call guest rewards and change.

As I usually have been on the CZ two nights by the time I board the Cap I pick up a dinner in the station to go. Breaks up the 3 nights in a row of same dinners.

In Washington there are a bunch of museums. Look them up and just hop a taxi. Have a nice trip.
I booked this with points, so didn't pay a dime. Are you saying I can pay the difference to upgrade for a portion of the trip?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back