DeLand FL Depot Renovations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, after eight years of talks, consulting, etc, work has begun on the old DLD depot as of last week. They have begun tearing up the station platform at the south end of the station. This makes spotting the train interesting now! The platform will be rebuilt in three sections with it finally being raised eight inches higher. Soon (we hope) it will be safer to load/unload passengers here as the last step will no longer be so high. After the platform is complete, they will begin work on the roof and then the actual renovations inside the station. Now we see how long it takes them to actually do the work!! It seems to be going very SLOWWWLY so far!!! I am sure it will be a station to be proud of when it is done! More later.... OBS...

It's sad to me that the station was redone in 1991 IIRC and it already needs to be redone.

battalion51 said:
It's sad to me that the station was redone in 1991 IIRC and it already needs to be redone.
Actually bat51, nothing has ever been done substantially in renovations to the station other than when the high school and a few other groups got together and rebuilt the interior in 1988 or so after the 1981 New Years day fire. There were some minor improvements made to patch up areas of the roof, and improve lighting on the platform area around 1991. That is also about the time the local garden club was more active out there.

Of course as I posted earlier, a lot of the money earmarked for the project is used up due to the change in costs, and the general red tape, etc. But still it will greatly improve the building and platform area itself. The parking area and the other improvements may have to go by the wayside unless other money is found for the project. At least it will have a new roof, the inside of the station will have all new facilities (agent area, waiting area, restrooms, vending, etc.) and above all a better representation of the local area where I call home. I will update if anything really important comes along. OBS...

Good day everyone, I haven't been here on the boards in quite a long time other than a couple quick glances. I now work for CSX (being I was placed on furlough at Amtrak), and they are keeping me rather busy these days!

Anyway, I was able to secure (actually I was just lucky and it worked out this way) a little time off to attend the ribbon cutting ceremony for the completion of DeLand's Amtrak Depot. This particular station has a little place in my heart as it has been sorta my "second home" over the years. So the station renovations have been an important subject to me for those reasons! Anyway, the ribbon cutting ceremony is today (12/21/06) at noon! I will make a report and even provide some pics if possible if I can get back to my computer in a timely manner! If not, any of you who may be in the area in the near future, be sure to stop by and check out DeLand's (DLD) newly renovated station and see for yourself! It is definitely a beauty, and something those of us who reside in our community can be proud of now! It sure took long enough! Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, etc (whichever applies to you), and Happy New Year! Gotta run or we are not gonna make it in time! OBS...

battalion51 said:
Actually bat51, nothing has ever been done substantially in renovations to the station other than when the high school and a few other groups got together and rebuilt the interior in 1988 or so after the 1981 New Years day fire. There were some minor improvements made to patch up areas of the roof, and improve lighting on the platform area around 1991. That is also about the time the local garden club was more active out there.

Of course as I posted earlier, a lot of the money earmarked for the project is used up due to the change in costs, and the general red tape, etc. But still it will greatly improve the building and platform area itself. The parking area and the other improvements may have to go by the wayside unless other money is found for the project. At least it will have a new roof, the inside of the station will have all new facilities (agent area, waiting area, restrooms, vending, etc.) and above all a better representation of the local area where I call home. I will update if anything really important comes along. OBS...

Just an incidental question; is there not a siding at or near the DeLand station?

The Deland siding is just north of the station. It's a 2.1 mile siding from MP A747.5 to A749.6. There are distant signals to Deland at A745.2 and A752.0. The station is at A750.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back