Dealing with Passengers Unhappy with Community Dining

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone else mentioned, getting food to go is a good option.
A couple of posters have mentioned this, which surprises me; I didn't think Amtrak was very encouraging of this approach at all. I like to socialize and eat in the dining car for the most part, but there are times when I'm working and really just want to have lunch/dinner in my room. I don't like to make extra work for my SCA and try to be a minimalist passenger, so I've tried bringing the food back to my room by ordering "to go" on a couple of different occasions, and the dining car attendants looked at me as though I had asked for an afternoon shuttle to Mars."Your SCA can get it," they said, each time (two different train routes, too), which kind of defeated the purpose of saving that person the work.

If Amtrak would let sleeping car passengers order and pick up "carry out", it would make the dining cars a lot less crowded and save some time for the SCAs. Heck, I'd even accept the food on plasticware to eliminate the aisle congestion that would occur with people walking back and forth to the dining car with plates and utensils that need to be washed.

A couple of posters have mentioned this, which surprises me; I didn't think Amtrak was very encouraging of this approach at all. I like to socialize and eat in the dining car for the most part, but there are times when I'm working and really just want to have lunch/dinner in my room. I don't like to make extra work for my SCA and try to be a minimalist passenger, so I've tried bringing the food back to my room by ordering "to go" on a couple of different occasions, and the dining car attendants looked at me as though I had asked for an afternoon shuttle to Mars."Your SCA can get it," they said, each time (two different train routes, too), which kind of defeated the purpose of saving that person the work.

If Amtrak would let sleeping car passengers order and pick up "carry out", it would make the dining cars a lot less crowded and save some time for the SCAs. Heck, I'd even accept the food on plasticware to eliminate the aisle congestion that would occur with people walking back and forth to the dining car with plates and utensils that need to be washed.

The main reason for this is because your SCA is trained and skilled at walking thru the train carrying items and/or a tray in their hands and NOT falling, tripping or otherwise injuring themselves. Your average passenger is not so capable.

Another reason is because that's in the SCA job description and it's how they make/earn extra tip money. A savvy SCA would be willing, able and eager to do as many to-go orders as they can manage. I know there are some SCAs who don't see it this way but I would hope this to be the exception and not the rule.

The main reason for this is because your SCA is trained and skilled at walking thru the train carrying items and/or a tray in their hands and NOT falling, tripping or otherwise injuring themselves. Your average passenger is not so capable.

Another reason is because that's in the SCA job description and it's how they make/earn extra tip money. A savvy SCA would be willing, able and eager to do as many to-go orders as they can manage. I know there are some SCAs who don't see it this way but I would hope this to be the exception and not the rule.

Very good points--thanks. I know it has to be a hassle for the SCA to bring a meal to the room but didn't think about the fact that maybe they don't mind it because of the tips. I know that whenever I have to ask my SCA to bring a meal, I tip and tip well.

Are there any SCA's on here who could offer up a consensus: do you like when passengers request meals in their rooms because of the opportunity for tips, or is it just another headache you could do without?

Wife and I have enjoyed 99% of our community dining experiences. Since I love to talk and listen :giggle: , I can hardly wait to hear about others experiences in life.

We have met people from Australia, Great Britain, Japan, Korea, Indonesia and lots of Latin American countries on our travels and the Americans tell some good stories as well :D :lol:

I have found that the LSA's try to place people in good situations and not crowd people together if they can avoid it. Since I am a rather large person, length wise-- my wife and I have sometimes been given a booth by ourselves or just with one other person. Some LSA's also dont care and treat people like cattle. Just depends on their personality as well :(

I agree that four at a CCC table is a bit too cozy, especially those of us with long legs :p

We have had a very few people who didnt want to talk. We chocked it up to (not feeling well:- a bit snooty!! : "its been a long day! : or various other reasons that people would rather be left alone.) Luckily that has happened only a few times.

In re: OP question--yes the fellow showed little class in his comments about you sitting with them. There are a few people out there in the world like that ! :lol:

Sound to me that Communal dinning is what you decide to make of it.

Sorta like life in general.

I agree with all on the "benefits" of community dining while traveling via rail. With ONE EXCEPTION, those damned CCC cars with the sideways-facing tables.

I am of the opinion that you CANNOT fit four adults comfortably at these tables. I have refused to be added as a fourth there, while explaining profusely to the seated occupants that it had nothing to do with them.....

In fact, one time I opted to wait for a "regular 4-top" was on the CAP, on the way back from the last Gathering in St. Louie.

Call me anti-social, but I personally HATE those tables, unless it's only for two, (ok, maybe three) and it's NOT used for dining. (cocktails or snack)
I have eaten at the CCC sideways tables as part of a group of 3, there was PLENTY of room for three. I agree that 4 would be too crowded, but I think 4 is too crowded in the regular booths too, CCC and standard diners. But I understand why it is necessary and I take what I get. I just really really hope for a window seat.

This March I will be travelling with my slightly large father, and a good friend of mine. The two of us are both slender 14 year olds, so do you think that the wait staff will try to squeeze a fourth person in with us? And, if they do, do you think that it would be tight?

I agree with all on the "benefits" of community dining while traveling via rail. With ONE EXCEPTION, those damned CCC cars with the sideways-facing tables.

I am of the opinion that you CANNOT fit four adults comfortably at these tables. I have refused to be added as a fourth there, while explaining profusely to the seated occupants that it had nothing to do with them.....

In fact, one time I opted to wait for a "regular 4-top" was on the CAP, on the way back from the last Gathering in St. Louie.

Call me anti-social, but I personally HATE those tables, unless it's only for two, (ok, maybe three) and it's NOT used for dining. (cocktails or snack)
I have eaten at the CCC sideways tables as part of a group of 3, there was PLENTY of room for three. I agree that 4 would be too crowded, but I think 4 is too crowded in the regular booths too, CCC and standard diners. But I understand why it is necessary and I take what I get. I just really really hope for a window seat.

This March I will be travelling with my slightly large father, and a good friend of mine. The two of us are both slender 14 year olds, so do you think that the wait staff will try to squeeze a fourth person in with us? And, if they do, do you think that it would be tight?
Well I can never guess what any dining car staff may come up with, but I would guess it will mostly be just the three of you seated at most meals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back