DC and Chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TacoMan

Train Attendant
Okay folks, I leave Tuesday headed to California. I have to make a transfer in DC and Chicago. I Have a few more questions if any of ya'll can help.

How long before the train leaves do they allow coach passengers to board?

Are the stations in DC and Chicago easy to navigate and figure out the platforms?

I am meeting some people in DC for a few hours during my layover where is a good (easy) place at the station to meet?

I am going to check a bag when I leave will I have to claim it at all in DC and Chicago or will they handle all of that?

That's all for now I am sure I will think of a few more before I leave. lol :hi:

Okay folks, I leave Tuesday headed to California. I have to make a transfer in DC and Chicago. I Have a few more questions if any of ya'll can help.

Aloha

We need to know which station you are referring to.

Sorry that I don't know the DC or CHI station well enough to answer but I haven't had trouble in either.

It will depend on the train you're catching. Generally, I think 25-35 minutes ahead of time. At Washington, the gate will close 3-5 minutes prior to departure, so make sure to be there by then.

Are the stations in DC and Chicago easy to navigate and figure out the platforms?
I use Washington Union Station quite frequently. I think the station is pretty easy to navigate. I've gone through Union Station in Chicago a few times and never had problems finding anything,

Union Station in DC has tracks numbered from 7-28, increasing from west (by the Metro) to east (by McDonald's). Access to the tracks is through lettered gates. The gates increase alphabetically from A-L from west to east as well. When your train is called, it will be listed on the board as gate-track (like C14). Just find the gate and there will be a digital sign showing your train's info. You'll have your ticket checked before you proceed to the track.

I am meeting some people in DC for a few hours during my layover where is a good (easy) place at the station to meet?
The Grand Hall is probably the nicest place to meet. It's in the front of the station. You can't miss it.

I am going to check a bag when I leave will I have to claim it at all in DC and Chicago or will they handle all of that?
Not as long as both your origin and destination stations have checked baggage service. If you board somewhere with checked baggage service, just tell the clerk your final destination, and that's what he'll make the tag out for. You won't see your bag in Washington or Chicago. However, if your destination station doesn't have checked baggage service, you'll either have to check it to your last transfer station and pick it up there or carry it on.

I have some health issues that require me to use a cane to get around. Is there early boarding for people with disabilities?

I traveled Greyhound last summer, (an area no other transportation went to so I was kinda stuck) and they told me they did early boarding for the disabled. I ended up standing for over 2 hours in ATL because once I got there they told me they didn't offer it and if I wanted to make sure and get a seat I better get in line and stay there. My legs were killing me before that trip was over.

I have some health issues that require me to use a cane to get around. Is there early boarding for people with disabilities?

I traveled Greyhound last summer, (an area no other transportation went to so I was kinda stuck) and they told me they did early boarding for the disabled. I ended up standing for over 2 hours in ATL because once I got there they told me they didn't offer it and if I wanted to make sure and get a seat I better get in line and stay there. My legs were killing me before that trip was over.
Yeah, there'll be early boarding for you. They'll call for first/sleeper car passengers (if relevant to your train), senior citizens, and those with disabilities to pre-board. Your best bet, though, is probably a redcap; you'll get to ride in a cart out to the train. (In Chicago, you may even be riding in the cart through the station!)

EDIT: Not sure where you're originally leaving from or going to, smaller stations don't have this service. But when you're transferring in DC or Chicago, that will be no problem. If you tell your car attendant or the conductor you can have a redcap meet your incoming train!

And if you feel up to the walk, and have the time, you should try to see the great halls in both these stations. They're not too far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Meeting some friends in DC. Known them online for over 15 years meeting in person for the first time next week. lol So it looks like I will be meeting them in the Great Hall in DC, everyone seems to think it is the best option.

Meeting some friends in DC. Known them online for over 15 years meeting in person for the first time next week. lol So it looks like I will be meeting them in the Great Hall in DC, everyone seems to think it is the best option.
Probably. Best bet is to get a cell phone number, the DC Great Hall can get crowded and is fairly big. (The one in Chicago is usually pretty empty and quiet when I've been in it.) That way you can figure out where in the Great Hall you both are.

Also any other useful info on the Crescent, The Capitol Limited, and CZ would also be appreciated.

That's all for now I am sure I will think of a few more before I leave. lol :hi:

They usually start 20 or so minutes before it leaves (if it is originating there) or as soon as it discharges passengers in DC. They should do the transfer all the way to California, but take a couple overnight bag with your entertainment, a couple of changes of clothes, toiletries and medicines. You won't have access to them all the way to California.

On your other train questions, Take a chance to eat on some meals in the Dining Car. They have much better food (I have heard from a plan). If you are in a sleeper on your trip, learn the difference between a Superliner sleeper and Viewliner Sleeper Or coaches. It can help you with your disability.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the trip is in less than 48 hours. I am beginning to get a little excited!!!

How much should I tip a Redcap for giving me a ride to the train?

I usually tip a couple of dollors per bag. On the CZ, make for sure you are up and awake by DEN. Then get some fresh air at the layover and then board before the others. Sometimes I have an early breakfast before arriving in DEN and then get some fresh air and then go to the SSL car. That car will be packed and if you see others coming in and not finding a seat, I usually try and give up my seat if I have been in there over an hour. That is NOT an Amtrak rule, but one some of us on the forum have followed.

GSC (Glenwood Springs) is a short stop but long enough to get out and get some fresh air. If the train is ahead of time, take a real fast look at the idlylic train station. If the train is only stop for a few minutes, DO NOT take the time to see the small but quaint station.

Rolling through the Sierra Nevada's are also awesome. And in the lastest AAA magazine, the cover story is the "Six Routes Through the Worlds Majestic Places" and only one of them is in the US...the California Zephyr! Enjoy your trip! I found both stations very easy to get around in.

Well I leave early in the morning to head to Meridian to catch the Crescent. I hope I catch it on a day it isn't full all the way. lol I will update ya'll on the trip either once I get to Cali or after I get back next month. Thanks for all the help!!!!

I use Washington Union Station quite frequently. I think the station is pretty easy to navigate. I've gone through Union Station in Chicago a few times and never had problems finding anything.
Keep in mind that in D.C. the lettered gates don't always line up with the numbered tracks and that they often stack the trains on top of each other and that you might be walking a considerable distance if your train is a few tracks over and in front of another train. I strongly agree about paying a little more for the redcap service. I never did but I can definitely see the benefit for folks who can't run to the train. Washington D.C. doesn't mess around. Also, the Grand Hall area is pretty big for less than fully mobile folks. Be sure you have a good idea of what the folks you're looking for are wearing. You might want to narrow it down a bit by deciding to meet near the Grey Lines desk or in front of the Godiva store which are in the great hall. Just some suggestions -- be sure to let us know how it goes, including the good the bad and the ugly! :cool:

I plan on boarding as soon as it is okay for those with disabilities. Will this help with some of those issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back