Dayton Union Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that it was removed, but why? Most unused railroad stations exist for a while after they cease to serve trains, but this one was ripped out post haste. And if Ohio succeeds in getting service from Cleveland to Columbus to Dayton to Cincinnati, what will be used for a station in Dayton?

Thanks,

John Bobinyec

I know that it was removed, but why? Most unused railroad stations exist for a while after they cease to serve trains, but this one was ripped out post haste. And if Ohio succeeds in getting service from Cleveland to Columbus to Dayton to Cincinnati, what will be used for a station in Dayton?
Thanks,

John Bobinyec

I dont know why towns do that either, and it makes me mad as hell. The town where I live did the same thing, demolished our old station, when the least they coulda done was make it into a museum, or resteraunt or something historical, right?

Hi!

I live near the area, and I remember the news showing the spot where the station would be. I remember them saying that they would have the build the terminal.

I can't wait to get the 3-C. It would be amazing!

It appear that Dayton Union Station was torn down and replaced by a far more modest structure in the 1960s - long before Amtrak took over passenger service. Like many cities, only the original platforms remained. I would suspect that the original Union Station was far too large and expensive to maintain and had become a burden on the host railroads long before it was torn down.

http://www.railfan.net/lists/rshsdepot-dig...3/msg00005.html

Yes, but my original two question haven't yet been answered.

Why was the station ripped up in the late 1980's?

When 3C comes around, what will Dayton use for a station?

I looked at Google maps. It looks like the station could be put back right where it was. There's a parking lot adjacent to it. The platforms are still in place, although deteriorating. All tracks are gone, except for the outside tracks, serving as through-tracks. The canopies, elevators, and stairwells are all gone. However, I suppose with enough cash, all that could be put back.

John Bobinyec

Yes, but my original two question haven't yet been answered.
Why was the station ripped up in the late 1980's?

The last passenger train to Dayton, the National Limited, stopped running in 1979. I would imagine that the restoration of passenger service to Dayton was very improbable at the time. Actually, the current Ohio rail plan, which was almost exactly the same as the 3-C plan, failed a year or two after the National Limited was canceled.

When 3C comes around, what will Dayton use for a station?
My guess is a single platform, located anywhere along the line that would be convenient. Unless the site of the previous Union Station is especially desirable due to the location, which I somehow doubt if has never been redeveloped, there might be other more suitable locations.

I looked at Google maps. It looks like the station could be put back right where it was. There's a parking lot adjacent to it. The platforms are still in place, although deteriorating. All tracks are gone, except for the outside tracks, serving as through-tracks. The canopies, elevators, and stairwells are all gone. However, I suppose with enough cash, all that could be put back.
John Bobinyec
Yes, but why would you want to? It seem unlike that multiple platforms would be needed at Dayton, OH for many decades to come? There are many doubt surrounding the 3-C proposal, and it remains to be seen if the substantial track improvement can be done on time, on budget and whether the passenger projection will come to true.

There does appear to be a plan to reuse the site of the former Union Station, an official illustration of which is below:

http://www.dot.state.oh.us/Divisions/Rail/...20rendering.bmp

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back