Day trip on the Coast Starlight - questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Old Harvey House at LAX would make a far better lounge. Too bad it fetches way more money for private parties.
The other area that could be used is the ticketing concourse, just to the left as entering LAX from the Alameda side. But like the Harvey House, it's probably too lucrative from renting out for private parties and for filming to use for a lounge.

As for how to entertain a 6 year old while waiting -- there are beautiful gardens on each side of the waiting room, with fountains, grass (at least in the east garden), trees, gardens, birds, butterflies, etc. It would be a good chance to let him run around (supervised of course) and get some exercise before getting on the train.

Since it's Southern California, I guess they could always just cordon off some area in the gardens, put out some lounge chairs and have a few coolers with drinks and snacks in em. :cool:

From my trip on 7/1, the smoke stops before San Diego were Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, and Salinas.
The CS does not even go to San Diego!
San Diego, San Jose...too many canonized cities in California! ;)

You do not 'HAVE' to register at the Traxx Lounge, they just prefer that you do. I usually wait on the platform and sort out the details with the SCA and the conductor when I board.
While I've heard it's on the small side, consider the Traxx Lounge part of the privilege of booking your sleeper ticket. I haven't been in it myself (they weren't using it yet when I last did the CS in sleeper class), but departure lounges are usually quieter and more relaxing than the general seating/boarding area. They may have free drinks and snacks available (not sure about that, though), so you might not want to pass up the opportunity to relax in there.

Of course, relaxing is the last thing on a 6-year-old railfan's mind! So would it work to park your mom in the lounge where she can relax (and keep an eye on your luggage in a more secure environment) and then leave with your son and daughter to go wander the halls and platforms of Union Station? As long as you're back to the lounge perhaps 20 minutes before departure, you should be able to retrieve your luggage, check in, and still be on board the train 10 minutes before departure.

(If you're checking bags for your trip--an option that you may wish to take advantage of if you have lots--I don't know if that's handled in the Traxx lounge or if you still need to proceed to the normal bag check area of Union Station.)

As far as visiting the platforms before you depart, yes, LAUS has something like 12 platforms, all of which can be humming with trains at peak commute hours. For your son's enjoyment, you might wish to arrive even a little earlier than 9am--the last big rush of arriving trains happens between about 8:30am and 9:00am, and then those trains turn around and depart between about 9:00 and 9:30, with the last few right before 10am. Then there is a big gap in the middle of the day (when commuters generally aren't commuting), so there's not as much activity then (although you might see a couple of arrivals and departures between 9:30 and 10:00).

Technically, there is probably some kind of restriction that you can only be on the platforms if you have a valid ticket to travel, but in my experience, that's not enforced at all (I've never had anyone come up to me and even ask to see a ticket on the platform, and I've had sheriffs and cops and the like all walk right by me). Besides, you *do* have a ticket valid for travel that day, so even if they did ask to see something, you could show them that and it would be perfectly legit.

You mentioned driving to L.A. in morning traffic. I'm not sure what area of the Southland you live in, but have you thought about driving to the nearest Metrolink station and taking the train into Union Station? Most Metrolink stations offer free parking (check the list here for specific information and call Metrolink to verify you can leave your car for the length of time you'll be gone, and verify the station is in a generally safe area), and riding the train in would not only save you the stress and hassle of traffic and finding (and paying for) parking near Union Station but would also contribute to your son's enjoyment.

Union Station is a great place to go and train-watch, even on a day you're not traveling. If your son wants to indulge his obsession (which I and many others here share!), feel free to head in to Union Station and up to the platforms to train-watch. As I mentioned before, they don't enforce any restrictions (if there even are any there), and if they do, the most they'll do is shoo you away. Or, you can take Metrolink in for a day of train-watching and then you'll have a legitimate reason to be hanging around the station!

As for boarding and going straight to the Parlour Car, if you've already checked in and had your ticket collected by the conductor in the Traxx lounge, you shouldn't be required to stay in your room. However, there are usually some housekeeping items that take place before departure and during the very beginning of the trip. Your sleeping car attendant (identified as a SCA on these forums) will (if you get a good one, and it's likely you will) come by and take the time to explain the features of the room, the location of the various services on the train, and how to get in touch with him or her if you need. Then you'll usually get the LSA (Lead Service Attendant) making his or her rounds to set up lunch reservation times (and give you your choice of eating in the Pacific Parlour Car or the normal diner--see the trip report in my signature for some information on that choice). And if you didn't check in at the Traxx lounge, the conductor might stop in to collect your ticket. Usually things calm down and people start wandering the train about a half an hour after departure.

You've picked a great route and are sure to have a great trip. Be sure to let us all know how it went! :)

Thank you Jackal (and everyone)!! I have loved reading all the comments and hints.

I think we will try and time our arrival for around 8:30 and I can just let my Mom sit in the main part of the station with the bags for a little bit while I take the kids to look around. I think they will really enjoy the gardens and a quick walk to one of the platforms. It has been many years since I have been there myself so I am looking forward to it also.

As for getting to the station, my husband is going into work late that day so he will be driving us. We do have a metro station not too far from our house and if it was just me, I would take that in a heartbeat. But it is not a direct route and I believe would require two transfers to get to Union Station and that is probably not the best with my Mom, two kids and luggage to coordinate :)

Thank you everyone...again. I am sure that I will be checking in here daily before our trip (I am enjoying reading all the trip reports, etc) and I will give you an update on our trip when I return.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back