David Baldacci - The Christmas Train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TrainLoverJoy

Lead Service Attendant
I am halfway through this novel, and loving it! It's about a trip from D.C. on the Limited to L.A. on the Chief. I'd have to say the author actually rode both trains because the facts and descriptions of both are pretty accurate.....so far.

Who else has read this?

Thank you Chaz, you did it for me.

I don't know what year Amtrak entirely discontinued smoking but a "smoking lounge" on lower level of lounge car is mentioned in the book...which was written 2004.

I'm sure many of you know what year all smoking was made illegal......????

Just ordered it on "hold" from my library--thanks for suggesting it, and I'll let you know what I think after I read it.

I have read it... fun read... the plot line gets a little silly at the end which is due to the difficulty of having a train trip novel come to a happy dramatic climax (Though Hitchcock pulled it off in the movie North by Northwest).

For the next persons enjoyment I left my copy in the library at the Izzac Walton Inn just after Christmas.

For those that haven't read it check out "Super, A Novel" by Jim Lehrer( 2011).Available on line New and Used from 1 cent to $15/$12 on Kindle.

Murder mystery about a trip aboard the Super Chief with Harry Truman as Sherlock Holmes!

Nice light read about what was generally considered the Best Passenger Train in this Country Ever!

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't know what year Amtrak entirely discontinued smoking but a "smoking lounge" on lower level of lounge car is mentioned in the book...which was written 2004.

That might be a little late for smoking still being permitted but I seem to remember somewhere about 2000 or 2001 they still allowed it and had a lounge on the TE - because I got stuck on the car with the smoking lounge even though I protested that I was a non-smoker with asthma. I was told, "This is the car that will open at your stop so you need to sit here."

Not too long after that I shifted to mostly doing roomettes....

When buying books on Amazon, I always look for used books, many of which are 1¢ plus $2.99 shipping.
You usually have a choice of the book condition from ‘Very Good’ to 'Good’ to ‘Poor’, usually at the same price.
As I buy books to read and pass on to friends, I don’t need pay full price for a new book.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1455532940?keywords=David%20Baldacci%20-%20The%20Christmas%20Train&qid=1453908944&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Untitled.png

I got the book on my Nook as a Christmas present to myself. It felt like I was on the train :) I agree the ending got a little silly.

That might be a little late for smoking still being permitted but I seem to remember somewhere about 2000 or 2001 they still allowed it and had a lounge on the TE - because I got stuck on the car with the smoking lounge even though I protested that I was a non-smoker with asthma. I was told, "This is the car that will open at your stop so you need to sit here."

Not too long after that I shifted to mostly doing roomettes....
The smoking cars were eliminated in 1994. The smoking lounges on Long Distance trains were eliminated, I believe the year was 2004 that was done, except on the Auto Train that was ended in 2013.

I believe I have read this book every Christmas since 2004. I was in elementary school when it came out. Needless to say my teachers were always amazed at my reading level. I find it to be a great read.

I've read this book several times and plan on several more. It's lighthearted and although it gets a little silly, it's just a fun read. And no one gets assassinated, as opposed to most other Baldacci books!

Oddly enough, a friend of mine asked me a couple of days ago if I'd read the book. She said she would obtain a copy of it for me sometime.

Oddly enough, a friend of mine asked me a couple of days ago if I'd read the book. She said she would obtain a copy of it for me sometime.
She kept her promise and I received the book from her in the mail today! I'm taking a day trip to Chicago in a couple of weeks just to check out the progress at Union Station and will have that along for reading purposes and to kill time between arrival and departure back home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back