Dallas to Eugene, OR with 3 children

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there anything you would hope a family who would be riding on YOUR train would especially keep in mind for their trip?

Our three girls (8, 10, 13) are thrilled to be taking their first trip on a train. They are veteran travelers, but this is our first rail ride. We will bring things to do, but I was hoping to be able to take advantage of on-board opportunities. I have found little blips about the partnership with national parks, and little bits of information about some of the cities we will go through, but nothing substantial about what to expect or what to do to take advantage of the nat parks partnership. From what I see on the schedule, we are not going to have any time at the stops. (Which surprised me, because I thought there would at least be a couple 15-20 minute stops on a three day trip. Our only stop is at 10 PM in San Antonio, and I prefer to keep the girls on the train at that late hour.)

Is the Texas Eagle (Dallas to LA leg) normally a very busy/full train? More professional/business oriented or more tourism/traveler? Should we expect to get there plenty early to get seats in an area we prefer? (we will not be taking a sleeper - not in the budget.) I remember spending plenty of time going to the observation car and hanging out, and there was usually some attendant who was interested in telling us about where we were or some fun bit of information about the train, and there was a very relaxed atmosphere among the pasengers, but it was a different line and at a different time in history 20 years ago.

I would think to just use common sense. I've seen kids, accompanied by their parents, who were little Hellions! I've also seen kids, with no supervison, that were Cool and actually a pleasure to talk to!

Have Fun!

RF

i was on train 352 the wolverine. this toddler kept crying on a off throughout the trip and the mother actually changed his diaper ON THE COACH SEAT.

Welcome! :)

There may be some longer stops (look at the train schedules for a stop with 2 times) - but be sure that you stay within sight and sound of the train! Once they say "All Aboard!", the train can depart - with or without you! :eek: (I myself almost missed getting on!) One stop you can be assured of is when you connect between trains in LA.

As far as the National Park partnership, there are certain segments where they provide commentary in the Sightseer Lounge Car. Just be in the Lounge Car during these segments. Going north out of LA, be in the Sightseer sometime before 3 PM - preferable on the ocean side! At times, the Coast Starlight is within feet of the ocean - and some of the route is in an area away from roads!

There is no reason to get there super early. The train can not depart until the train arrives in Dallas anyway! And you chose your seats after boarding. Most car attendants set aside groups of seats for groups of 2 or more. Thus it is very likely that you will be sitting near each other!

BTW: Are you reserved on train #422 out of Dallas, or train #22 connecting to train #2 in San Antonio (SAS)? :huh: The reason I ask is that if you are booked on #22 connecting to #2, you MUST leave your coach in SAS and stay in the station until #2 arrives about 2-3 AM. If you are booked on #422, you can stay in your coach during the stop. (They only transfer 1 coach and 1 sleeper between trains in SAS. That is train #422.)

Many of the riders are tourists. Many business travels do not take that long, because they want to get there "yesterday"! There are some, but not all that many on your routes.

Is there anything you would hope a family who would be riding on YOUR train would especially keep in mind for their trip?
Our three girls (8, 10, 13) are thrilled to be taking their first trip on a train. They are veteran travelers, but this is our first rail ride. We will bring things to do, but I was hoping to be able to take advantage of on-board opportunities. I have found little blips about the partnership with national parks, and little bits of information about some of the cities we will go through, but nothing substantial about what to expect or what to do to take advantage of the nat parks partnership. From what I see on the schedule, we are not going to have any time at the stops. (Which surprised me, because I thought there would at least be a couple 15-20 minute stops on a three day trip. Our only stop is at 10 PM in San Antonio, and I prefer to keep the girls on the train at that late hour.)

Is the Texas Eagle (Dallas to LA leg) normally a very busy/full train? More professional/business oriented or more tourism/traveler? Should we expect to get there plenty early to get seats in an area we prefer? (we will not be taking a sleeper - not in the budget.) I remember spending plenty of time going to the observation car and hanging out, and there was usually some attendant who was interested in telling us about where we were or some fun bit of information about the train, and there was a very relaxed atmosphere among the pasengers, but it was a different line and at a different time in history 20 years ago.
Welcome to the forum, there are plenty of trip reports about this route and tips for first time riders, please feel free to read them and ask any questions, lots of helpful and friendly folks here! (advertisement for myself! :lol: )

First, you will be SPENDING THE NIGHT ON THE TRAIN IN SAN ANTONIO-1030PM-5:40AM (IF you are on Train #421Texas Eagle,if #21Texas Eagle you will have to get off till the Sunset Ltd. #1 arrives about 3AM from New Orleans!)so will be able to go over to the river walk,Dennys etc.Your coach and the LA sleeper will be dropped off, connected to the train from New Orleans that gets into SA between 2-3AM (the Sunset Ltd.) Suggest you take snacks (the ones in the Sightseer lounge are sort of pricey), consider breakfast and lunch in the diner, supper is a little pricey ($14-22.50 a head).

breakfast and lunches include drinks and are actually cheaper for burgers and such than in the cafe! Take a light blanket and travel pillow, it can get cold on the trains @ night especially in warm weather and the pillows they issue are small! Ifyou have a DVD player/I-pod or laptop that will help with movies /music etc.(headphones are necessary!)

Your next major stop will be in El Paso, probably @ least an hour if the train is on time, really neat old station to visit and the trip out of town is right on the Mexico border, you can look down into Mexico from the lounge or your seat!Dont forget the Pecos High Bridge either West of Del Rio! In the summer sometimes Park Rangers ride, check with Amtrak for dates/times etc. Youll see why they call this the Sunset Ltd. when you see the desert sunsets!At Tuscon youll stop for an hour or so, after 10PM, theres an old station with a steam engine but nothing really to do but stretch and visit around the station!

After this youll be crossing the desert @ night, the sun should come up around Palm Springs ( the Salton Sea is before, large WindFarms around Palm Springs, then into the suburbs and urban Sprawl of LAX!The LA station is beautiful, if your on time youll have a couple of hours until the Coast Starlight leaves, this is a wonderful experience!

Try to be on the left side of the train as you head North, when you get to Santa barbara youll start seeing the Pacific in all it's glory, then go into the mountains including climbing a horseshoe curve which is a real sight to see! It will get dark before you get to San Jose, then Oakland where youll run down the middle of the street, Emeryville is a just North of this where the California Zephyer starts/ends but since its dark you wont see the bay or area!

After a stop in Martinez youll go into Sacramento for a brief stop, then head North into the beautiful hills and mountains of N. Calif., about sunrise youll be by Mt. Shasta (snow capped year round), then through the beautiful Cascades in Oregon, down to Klamath Falls ( about an hour stop if on time or early), then to your destination! Its too bad you dont have a roomette or bedroom on the Coast Starlight, the Pacific parlor car is one of the joys of old timey trains (ex Santa Fe Bi-Level)fixed up like a luxury lounge/Parlor car but only for sleeper pax. Also there is an arcade downstairs to play video games in one of the coaches and they show family/children movies in the downstairs of the PPC. The wine and cheese tasting is held also in the PPC, sleeper pax get first call but if theres room you can pay and attend (it's like $10 IINM for coach passengers!)

Remember that except for the sleepers and PPC you can walk the train, visit any of the cars and exercise is good on such a long trip! When you do stop and get off , make sure you stay close by the train, always check with an attendant before you leave the platform or go into any station, sometimes trains dont stay as long as the schedule says, especially if they are running late! Sometimes they stay longer if early (it happens!), as Ive said, please ask!

I did notice that a roomette from San Antonio to LAX is $140 (called low bucket) on some days, from LAX-Eugene it can be as low as $163. This includes all meals for 2 people, if theres anyway you can afford it , even part of the way (like El Paso-LAX) or OKJ-Eugene it definitely is worth it!Hope this helps, this is a wonderful trip, were all envious and Ive made it like 5 times! :D :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to the forum, there are plenty of trip reports about this route and tips for first time riders, please feel free to read them and ask any questions, lots of helpful and friendly folks here! (advertisement for myself! :lol: )

First, you will be SPENDING THE NIGHT ON THE TRAIN IN SAN ANTONIO-1030PM-5:40AM (IF you are on Train #421Texas Eagle,if #21Texas Eagle you will have to get off till the Sunset Ltd. #1 arrives about 3AM from New Orleans!)so will be able to go over to the river walk,Dennys etc.Your coach and the LA sleeper will be dropped off, connected to the train from New Orleans that gets into SA between 2-3AM (the Sunset Ltd.) Suggest you take snacks (the ones in the Sightseer lounge are sort of pricey), consider breakfast and lunch in the diner, supper is a little pricey ($14-22.50 a head).

breakfast and lunches include drinks and are actually cheaper for burgers and such than in the cafe! Take a light blanket and travel pillow, it can get cold on the trains @ night especially in warm weather and the pillows they issue are small! Ifyou have a DVD player/I-pod or laptop that will help with movies /music etc.(headphones are necessary!)

Your next major stop will be in El Paso, probably @ least an hour if the train is on time, really neat old station to visit and the trip out of town is right on the Mexico border, you can look down into Mexico from the lounge or your seat!Dont forget the Pecos High Bridge either West of Del Rio! In the summer sometimes Park Rangers ride, check with Amtrak for dates/times etc. Youll see why they call this the Sunset Ltd. when you see the desert sunsets!At Tuscon youll stop for an hour or so, after 10PM, theres an old station with a steam engine but nothing really to do but stretch and visit around the station!

After this youll be crossing the desert @ night, the sun should come up around Palm Springs ( the Salton Sea is before, large WindFarms around Palm Springs, then into the suburbs and urban Sprawl of LAX!The LA station is beautiful, if your on time youll have a couple of hours until the Coast Starlight leaves, this is a wonderful experience!

Try to be on the left side of the train as you head North, when you get to Santa barbara youll start seeing the Pacific in all it's glory, then go into the mountains including climbing a horseshoe curve which is a real sight to see! It will get dark before you get to San Jose, then Oakland where youll run down the middle of the street, Emeryville is a just North of this where the California Zephyer starts/ends but since its dark you wont see the bay or area!

After a stop in Martinez youll go into Sacramento for a brief stop, then head North into the beautiful hills and mountains of N. Calif., about sunrise youll be by Mt. Shasta (snow capped year round), then through the beautiful Cascades in Oregon, down to Klamath Falls ( about an hour stop if on time or early), then to your destination! Its too bad you dont have a roomette or bedroom on the Coast Starlight, the Pacific parlor car is one of the joys of old timey trains (ex Santa Fe Bi-Level)fixed up like a luxury lounge/Parlor car but only for sleeper pax. Also there is an arcade downstairs to play video games in one of the coaches and they show family/children movies in the downstairs of the PPC. The wine and cheese tasting is held also in the PPC, sleeper pax get first call but if theres room you can pay and attend (it's like $10 IINM for coach passengers!)

Remember that except for the sleepers and PPC you can walk the train, visit any of the cars and exercise is good on such a long trip! When you do stop and get off , make sure you stay close by the train, always check with an attendant before you leave the platform or go into any station, sometimes trains dont stay as long as the schedule says, especially if they are running late! Sometimes they stay longer if early (it happens!), as Ive said, please ask!

I did notice that a roomette from San Antonio to LAX is $140 (called low bucket) on some days, from LAX-Eugene it can be as low as $163. This includes all meals for 2 people, if theres anyway you can afford it , even part of the way (like El Paso-LAX) or OKJ-Eugene it definitely is worth it!Hope this helps, this is a wonderful trip, were all envious and Ive made it like 5 times! :D :)
Jim is right (as almost always ) in pointing out that you should analyze the cost of multiple coach fares plus meals vs. the coast and leisure of a sleeper with free meals.

Jim is right (as almost always ) in pointing out that you should analyze the cost of multiple coach fares plus meals vs. the coast and leisure of a sleeper with free meals.
And don't forget that the cost of the roomette is the same for 1 or 2 in the room. So you only need 2 rooms, but all 4 of you will have 3 meals a day (in the Diner) included! This could be worth $40-$50 per day per person! ;)

"I did notice that a roomette from San Antonio to LAX is $140 (called low bucket) on some days, from LAX-Eugene it can be as low as $163." For two roomettes, we would double that price, though.

Would I be allowed to book only one roomette if we have four people? Honestly, the two little ones are small enough to hang out on the top bunk together, but I don't think there are windows up there, are there? Our older daughter and I are both over 5'5", so I think we would be pushing it to hang out 'under' the bunk for a whole trip.

I would love to go to the Parlor. the Coast Starlight would be the only leg I would think it would be a real help. We are taking a whole month to study the geology and botany of the Pacific Northwest before we go, and that would be a wonderful way to 'wrap up' the experience.

(and I promise, our kids are not the terrors. :) We've gotten nothing but compliments on the planes, even from the "grumpy guys in suits", lol)

We've never eaten much on trips, and really only figure on going to the dining car a couple of times. It took a long time for us to realize that the kids go for granola bars and cereal more than burgers and fries when they travel.

"I did notice that a roomette from San Antonio to LAX is $140 (called low bucket) on some days, from LAX-Eugene it can be as low as $163." For two roomettes, we would double that price, though.
Would I be allowed to book only one roomette if we have four people? Honestly, the two little ones are small enough to hang out on the top bunk together, but I don't think there are windows up there, are there? Our older daughter and I are both over 5'5", so I think we would be pushing it to hang out 'under' the bunk for a whole trip.

I would love to go to the Parlor. the Coast Starlight would be the only leg I would think it would be a real help. We are taking a whole month to study the geology and botany of the Pacific Northwest before we go, and that would be a wonderful way to 'wrap up' the experience.

(and I promise, our kids are not the terrors. :) We've gotten nothing but compliments on the planes, even from the "grumpy guys in suits", lol)
You would need 2 roomettes if there are 4 of you, or you can book all of you in the family bedroom. The price for the roomette would be for two people, not per person. So if we are talking 2 roomettes, at $140, it would be $280. You will get all meals, including beverages & desserts included. In addition each sleeper car has free coffee, juice, ice, bottled water & sometimes fruit & other snacks. Each sleeper also has a shower only for sleeping car passengers. Coach does not. You can easily spend $30-$50 each daily on meals in the diner. So if you are on the train for two days, it would add up quick. You can certainly bring a cooler into coach with you, but getting ice may be an issue. There also will be a cafe car, but it can be pricey too. I suggest you take the cost of roomettes, subtract food, then see if it would be worth the price for you & your family. The bonuses for the sleeper usually outweigh the cost for us. Additionally, you will have a flat bed to sleep in, privacy too.

If I had to choose, I would definitely spring for roomettes on the Coast Starlight. It's a great train ride. Welcome to the board, I hope your family has a great trip!

As you said, 2 could sleep on the upper bunk and 2 could sleep on the lower bunk. But don't forget, that during the day, there are ONLY 2 seats! <_< You would either need 2 roomettes, or the family room, where all 4 of you could fit. Also remember that the cost of the family room is per room, not per person! ;)

i was on train 352 the wolverine. this toddler kept crying on a off throughout the trip and the mother actually changed his diaper ON THE COACH SEAT.

That happened to me on a plane not to long ago. It smelled so bad. The stupid rude mother couldn't get off her lazy butt and change her off sroing in the bathroom. My eyes were watering. It can't see that being at all sanitary.

I'm figuring no more than about $400 total food bill, full trip. That covers a $20 meal per day for three days (lunch on either end at destination), and bringing the rest. Food bars, carrots, meal shakes, etc. No boys on the trip, lol.

I don't know that I am looking in the same place you guys are for roomette prices. From what I find, cost for 2 Superliner Roomettes will run me either $1,308 or $464 for just the Coast Starlight. (departure from Dallas Mar 29, from LAX Mar 31)

That's the price online... is there somewhere else I should be looking? Travel dates are set... I can't change those. I'm thinking I'm not looking the same place you are? I know we would love to see the view on the Starlight. I'm sure we'll spend most of our time at the observation car on that leg of the trip, if it isn't overcrowded.

Thank you everyone for all your tips. You've got me thinking of doing this (WITH the room) as our anniversary trip for a belated 15th anniversary. relaxing, no distractions, and no meals to clean up after!

I'm figuring no more than about $400 total food bill, full trip. That covers a $20 meal per day for three days (lunch on either end at destination), and bringing the rest. Food bars, carrots, meal shakes, etc. No boys on the trip, lol.
I don't know that I am looking in the same place you guys are for roomette prices. From what I find, cost for 2 Superliner Roomettes will run me either $1,308 or $464 for just the Coast Starlight. (departure from Dallas Mar 29, from LAX Mar 31)

That's the price online... is there somewhere else I should be looking? Travel dates are set... I can't change those. I'm thinking I'm not looking the same place you are? I know we would love to see the view on the Starlight. I'm sure we'll spend most of our time at the observation car on that leg of the trip, if it isn't overcrowded.

Thank you everyone for all your tips. You've got me thinking of doing this (WITH the room) as our anniversary trip for a belated 15th anniversary. relaxing, no distractions, and no meals to clean up after!
You are looking in the right place. Sometimes if you keep checking online, you may be able to book the roomettes for a lower price. Sometimes someone will book a roomette, then cancel. The roomette will return to inventory at it's original price--which can be lower. Also, upon boarding, you sometimes can get a good price with an onboard upgrade. Check eith the Conductor for this option.

Also, make sure you sign everyone up for amtrak guest rewards. You just need a separate email address for each of you. You will then get points for your trip that you can use towards other trips.

It is also a great Anniversary Ride. Last year, we took our first trip-combination anniversary, vacation, family reunion. It was great. We took the California Zephyr & Coast Starlight. Love the Coast Starlight-especially the Parlor Car.

For the dates that you are looking @ those figures are correct from Amtrak.com. :( For future reference if you can plan ahead(sometimes way ahead, certain times are very busy/pricey-others are low bucket (mostly winter and "off season") those low bucket prices would apply!(you can nbook up to 11 months ahead). I know it seems pricey, perhaps the Coast Starlight roomettes would be possible, only you would know this, it would include 4 meals (lunch/dinner/breakfast/lunch either in the diner or PPC for all of you/roomettes/showers etc.,)You also would get to wait in the Traxx lounge in LA Union Station (its the bar to the resturant, just for sleeper pax, has coffee/juice/soft drinks/red caps and an Amtrak employee to help get yall to the train! Its still a great trip and sounds like your kids are great travelers, any train trip is an adventure, not just a trip! Let us know if we can help, as you are finding out there are lots of helpful,friendly and envious members here! ;) **BTW-You can check with the conductor when you board for an upgrade to roomettes, sometimes people cancel or no show and the low bucket prices show up if you're lucky but nothings for sure!**

As you said, 2 could sleep on the upper bunk and 2 could sleep on the lower bunk. But don't forget, that during the day, there are ONLY 2 seats! <_< You would either need 2 roomettes, or the family room, where all 4 of you could fit. Also remember that the cost of the family room is per room, not per person! ;)
Two each per roomette bunk? Have to be small...

Two each per roomette bunk? Have to be small...
OP stated in post #9

I was pointing out that it CAN NOT be done!

At the risk of being blasted by all the tall people on here who feel like the upper bunk is a coffin, you actually could fit 2 small kids on that bed, as long as they were ok with sleeping really close to each other (wouldn't work too well with siblings who fight a lot). I'm in a roomette on the eastbound TE right now and I'm actually amazed at how much room I have in the upper bunk. I'm 5'2", about 105 pounds and I have plenty of space to move around. I can almost sit up while I'm up there and can barely touch the ends when I lay with my arms fully stretched out over my head, and that's with both mattresses on the top bunk, which cuts into the space by a couple of inches.

My only concern would be that the safety straps might not hold the kids in if the train hit a huge bump. I've had to keep scooting myself down to the middle of the bed because the gaps on either side of the straps are big enough where I would probably fall through. That being said, I haven't yet been jostled enough that I've needed the straps to keep me in bed. Now whether they would actually let you book that many people in a roomette is another question, but it could definitely be done.

As far as stopping along the way, there are some longer stops in Fort Worth, El Paso, and Tucson where you can get off and walk around for about a half-hour. Just be sure to ask the conductor before getting off and don't go too far away because they may not stop as long if the train's running late. They may also announce "smoke stops" at some of the other stations where you and the kids could at least step off and stretch your legs.

If I had to expend funds for a sleeper, I would pick the Texas Eagle segment. Two nights of good sleep vs one on the CS. Plus, more meals (Lunch immediately upon boarding in DAL !!!). As for stops, there will be stops in Fort Worth, Temple and Austin which you could jump off the train for a short walkabout.

PLUS the biggest benefit of being able to sleep through the train changing in SAS, WITHOUT LEAVING THE TRAIN. I again urge you to book #421 DAL-LAX, not #21/#1

Also remember this: the price for the room is an add-on to the lowest coach price.

Coach = $687

TE Sleeper + CS Coach = $1531

Sleeper both = $1995

If you allotted $400 for meals (which is low for 3 days per person), that means the roomettes would only cost you $908 more

[ 1995 - 687 - 400 = 908 ]

or on just the Eagle, then $544

[ 1531 - 687 - 300 ]

Please, do not think cramming 4 into a sleeper would be allowed. Just won't. That would be like asking AN airline to allow two to cram into a first class sleeper seat. uh, no. The rooms are for two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back