CZ sleepers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trainfan

Service Attendant
I notice the sleepers on the cz are of the back of the consist, Last time I rode they were on the front the same as the SWC . I just wondered why they were moved?

Trainfan

I think they are normally on the back.

The question might be rephrased to "Why were the sleepers on the front when I rode it?".

I do like the idea of the sleepers on the back as you have less foot traffic and the engine horn is much farther away. I just thought it would be easyer for Amtrak to keep the consist the same as the SWC , I did look up some old YouTube videos and up until a few years ago the sleepers were on the front

Trainfan

Last edited by a moderator:
For what it is worth, I have been traveling aboard the California Zephyr - twice a year - for about 3 years. The sleeping car I book has always been at the rear and as I recall there is one more between mine and the dining car. Of course the dormitory car - located behind the baggage car - has limited room availability should those rear sleepers sell out.

Great run with even greater scenery!

There have been rare times in recent years when the westbound train was annulled in Reno, then returned east later that day with the sleepers on the front (and baggage car on the rear) as train #6, with passengers bustituted between Reno and California stops for both eastbound and westbound trains on that day.

Here is my "railfan" picture, and it was NOT posted to my facebook with the caption, Amtrak is so cool they even let me drive for a bit. :giggle:

This was off the rear sleeper, behind mine. That back window was a challenge for me, another rail fan relinquished his position there, and I told him, hey I just need a second to snap a picture, and I was correct. This was the better of the 2, taken during my 15 second visit. Then back to solid ground. LOL

1896790_785263634834584_248799796_n.jpg

Both of those are sweet pics! I hope the sleeper is at the rear on the 26th, as I have a roomette for my Chicago to Reno run! I am still a rail fan window virgin! :giggle: Looking forward to getting some sweet pics of my own! :)

As mentioned, the California Zephyr has the sleepers on the rear because during the peak summer season Amtrak used to run a cut off sleeper from CHI-DEN. But I heard that the sleeper wasn't being added/removed this year (never heard the reason.)

It will be interesting to see if the cut off sleeper returns this summer now that Amtrak has moved back to Union Station.

I like the fact that the horn is quieter on the rear of the train and you get the rail fan window... but there is one drawback to having the sleepers on the rear. Superliners are like a happy dog... when they are running at full speed they like to wag their tail. If you're in the last car trying to sleep on the top bunk in of an upper level room... you can definitely feel a lot more motion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back