CZ service disruption

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was on the CZ last September and it was PACKED! And it was not a bunch of railfan foamers either. There wasn't a spare seat to be had. I was truly happy about it being packed. I was also on the CZ in October when they had the CZ on the "hot deals" and it was also packed. I don't know if I constitute being a railfan, personally I don't give a **** what is pulling the train or the consist or whatever....I don't own model trains and never will. P40, HEP, SP, UP, BNSF could care less what this stuff means. I just like travelling this way cuz the airlines suck! :eek: Reading the book "Zephyr, Tracking An American Dream" tells you first hand what the Onboard Crews have to try and work with when there's little money in the budget for the operation of the trains. That is just a sad deal!

Reading the book "Zephyr, Tracking An American Dream" tells you first hand what the Onboard Crews have to try and work with when there's little money in the budget for the operation of the trains. That is just a sad deal!
It's an even sadder deal when one considers this book you mention was written a dozen or so years ago. Before, of course, SDS, the SP/UP merger, and a bunch of other things.

Anybody able to give an idea which route the detour might take??
I don't think anybody has ever answered this poor guy's question properly yet.

From Denver you will go north to near Cheyenne, Wyoming. From there you go west on the original Union Pacific transcontinental main to Ogden, Utah. At Ogden you turn south to Salt Lake City to rejoin the normal Amtrak route. This route can be faster than the route normally used by the CZ through the rockies. It lis lower in grades and straighter. I think distance wise it is about the same. You are going across southern Wyoming more or less parallel to I-80.

If they bypass Salt Lake City as well, which I think is unlikely, then you continue west across the Great Salt Lake on the Lucin Cutoff and rejoin the normal Amtrak route at about Elko, Nevada.

From Denver you will go north to near Cheyenne, Wyoming. From there you go west on the original Union Pacific transcontinental main to Ogden, Utah. At Ogden you turn south to Salt Lake City to rejoin the normal Amtrak route. This route can be faster than the route normally used by the CZ through the rockies. It lis lower in grades and straighter. I think distance wise it is about the same. You are going across southern Wyoming more or less parallel to I-80.

If they bypass Salt Lake City as well, which I think is unlikely, then you continue west across the Great Salt Lake on the Lucin Cutoff and rejoin the normal Amtrak route at about Elko, Nevada.

I just saw when checking the schedule for my traveling date in June, that the scheduled arrival in EMY was changed to 7:50PM is that to make CZ more punctual or due to the detour???

Thanks for the information. I just found some excellent Maps on BNSF website

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back