CZ passenger injured near Truckee CA, unknown circumstances

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of those cases, a victim got off the train with another woman before his stop. This might be a case of correlation does not mean causation.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of those cases, a victim got off the train with another woman before his stop. This might be a case of correlation does not mean causation.
The case where he got off in Salt Lake City? That was the official story until his remains were found by the side of the tracks BEFORE Salt Lake City. Read about it. Another young male, traveling alone, going home to visit family on the same route.

How is it possible for a rape and/or assault to occur on a train without a dozen or more people hearing it?

The case where he got off in Salt Lake City? That was the official story until his remains were found by the side of the tracks BEFORE Salt Lake City. Read about it. Another young male, traveling alone, going home to visit family on the same route.
I actually read it from a different news site, but rereading shows I misread it. The CZ cases are concerning. I do wonder how its possible considering all the eyes in coach and the thin walls in the sleeper, but the rape case shows it unfortunately has happened.

I suppose the important lesson here is dont trust people you meet on the train and lock your compartment doors. I wish Amtrak would be more open with these cases too.

How is it possible for a rape and/or assault to occur on a train without a dozen or more people hearing it?
I can't tell if you're being serious or sheltered. If you really want an answer there are any number of true crime books, documentaries, podcasts, interrogation transcripts, forensic reports, and case studies that can answer those sorts of questions in excruciating detail.

I can't tell if you're being serious or sheltered. If you really want an answer there are any number of true crime books, documentaries, podcasts, interrogation transcripts, forensic reports, and case studies that can answer those sorts of questions in excruciating detail.
A snarky answer, like your, typically means you are just as clueless.

A snarky answer, like your, typically means you are just as clueless.
Do you really believe every rape and assault involves so much shouting/screaming/noise that it couldn't possible be drowned out by a closed door and/or the sounds of a moving train or immediately silenced with the threat of increasing violence or murder? Do you struggle with the concept of a sneak attack on an unsuspecting target from a previously friendly attacker in a seemingly safe place based on careful planning and deliberate premeditation? I had a friend who was shot and murdered in her own apartment. Nobody called or notified anyone when it happened and when police interviewed her neighbors they all said they didn't see or hear anything. It turns out this is actually very common. People are attacked and murdered in seemingly safe areas and yet nobody around them notices anything obvious enough to investigate or call for help. Average people don't automatically assume a violent criminal is afoot the moment they see or hear anything unusual. Even something as loud and jarring as a gunshot can be missed in the din of everyday life or written off as something else. If an odd or unusual sound didn't mean much to you when it happened chances are good you probably won't report it or even remember it if you happen to be questioned about it later.

The Denver CZ connection in more than one case makes it interesting and far more complicated than I originally imagined. The other incidents also seem to be related. I'm curious about " no open doors " who or what is closing them.

If Amtrak kept records of who was working those trains it is easy to check. Of course I’m sure law enforcement does not need any help with this.
Law enforcement is not very good at identifying and catching killers that aren't related to the victim.

They need all the help they can get.

When they do solve murder cases that don't involve relatives, the killer often unwittingly provides the help law enforcement needed to solve the case.

The Reno Gazette Journal has an update, with a statement from Amtrak, which is quoted below:

https://www.rgj.com/story/news/2018/05/25/injured-amtrak-passenger-making-progress-recovery/646894002/

Salazar's condition seems to be improving.

Amtrak didn't post the statement on its media page, which is mostly (all?) marketing hype. Per the RGJ, "Amtrak released a statement Saturday morning with additional details about their investigation":

We are deeply saddened by the significant injuries to one of our customers, Aaron Salazar on Tuesday, May 15. The Amtrak Police Department is conducting an ongoing investigation into this incident.

Here are the facts that we are able to share at this time:

• The Amtrak Police Department reached out to more than 300 customers, crew and friends in support of this investigation.
  • The individuals who noted interactions with Mr. Salazar shared that he had expressed to them a number of life concerns and challenges. We are unable to comment on Mr. Salazar’s medical condition, but note that a fall from a moving train would cause significant injury.
  • There is no evidence of a physical altercation occurring while Mr. Salazar was travelling on Amtrak.
  • We have been in contact with Mr. Salazar’s parents and provided them updates on the investigation. Out of respect for the family, we are declining to share any additional details of interviews with customers, crew and friends, and encourage everyone to avoid speculation.
  • This investigation remains ongoing and the APD continues to work with our federal, county and local partners.
  • We ask anyone with information to contact the Amtrak Police Department at 800-331-0008.
We continue to keep Mr. Salazar in our thoughts and wish him well during his recovery.

If Amtrak kept records of who was working those trains it is easy to check. Of course I’m sure law enforcement does not need any help with this.
Law enforcement is not very good at identifying and catching killers that aren't related to the victim.They need all the help they can get.

When they do solve murder cases that don't involve relatives, the killer often unwittingly provides the help law enforcement needed to solve the case.
Since these cases are in vastly different jurisdictions the FBI is the best option imho. Iirc local law enforcement would have to call in the fbi. Or in this case the Amtrak police department would have to make that decision.

Maybe the politicians in Oregon can put pressure on Amtrak to get this to happen.

Once the FBI is involved they can look at the cases and cross reference the evidence from the different cases to look for patterns. Assuming Amtrak keeps records of who worked on each train that far back, the fbi could see if a person with the same name was on each of those trains.

An interesting thought...

How close was Aaron found to the river? The other CZ case, with so many similarities, the body was found during a drought.

If the intent was for Aaron to end up in the river, it would need to be planned out by someone quite familiar with the route. Same for the other case. (I suppose someone could look ahead on Google images...)

There's so much disturbing information about these 2 cases... And the fact they both happened on the same route is more than a bit alarming.

Makes more sense than Amtrak-employee-serial killer theory.
Just because a given explanation is easier to accept doesn't necessarily mean it's any more accurate. Once upon a time random police officers intentionally beating and killing unarmed suspects seemed nonsensical. Until a growing wave of video evidence eventually proved otherwise. My primary concern at this stage in the process is the conflict of interest whereby Amtrak's own police force might feel undue loyalty to their employer along with an obligation to limit the scope of the investigation and/or reach a liability deflecting conclusion. It seems like a moral and ethical impediment to the realization of true justice.

Makes more sense than Amtrak-employee-serial killer theory.
Just because a given explanation is easier to accept doesn't necessarily mean it's any more accurate. Once upon a time random police officers intentionally beating and killing unarmed suspects seemed nonsensical.
Where have you been all your life? Even 50+ years ago when I was in college, police were known to shoot people then plant a gun on them to justify it. As to beatings, even then people wondered why the concept of police brutality to make someone confess or to enforce "street justice" (easier than arresting and prosecuting repeated offenders was in fact fading away as compared to the "old days". It's only news now because everyone has a camera on their phone and security cameras are ubiquitous as well as the fact that the courts, the D.A., the towns, and even the police, are trying to be more open.

Back