CZ observations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

the_traveler

Engineer
I'm on the CZ right now! :)

Both days, the ONLY dinner times offered were 5 PM or 6:30 PM! And less than 1/2 the diner was used both days. Breakfast & lunch were open seating, and the whole car was used!

Wow, I would have thought the crowd would be thinned. Is your internet connection pretty solid? Whereabouts is the train now?

Just left DEN! And most all stops have been EARLY! :eek:
I have an iPhone!
My experience on the CZ last year was similar. We arrived into SLC (westbound) quite early. I'd need to look up my mini-trip-report (not posted in the Trip Reports forum, so it will probably be difficult to locate) to see exactly what time we arrived, but IIRC, it was about 30 minutes early.

As for doing AU on the iPhone: you're brave! In the absence of a nice mobile interface for the IP.Board software, I find reading--and worse, posting--on AU (especially at the molasses-like speeds on EDGE up here) a truly painful experience. :D

It's either AU or watch my GPS or look out the window. Why not all 3? :p

BTW - some stops included SLC 1:10 early and DEN 30 early! At this rate, CHI will be early too!

Just left Crestor IA - and am doing 81 mph!

We just left OTM 30 minutes late! :( It seems funny that UP is on time and BNSF is late! :eek:
The schedule allows 1 hr 7 min from Naperville to Chi station but if train has a clean run it can make it in 35 min. You should still be OT.

As for doing AU on the iPhone: you're brave! In the absence of a nice mobile interface for the IP.Board software, I find reading--and worse, posting--on AU (especially at the molasses-like speeds on EDGE up here) a truly painful experience. :D
I don't have an iPhone to test things out, but have you tried using the "Lo-Fi" setting?

I don't have an iPhone to test things out, but have you tried using the "Lo-Fi" setting?
Is it possible to post/reply/etc from Lo-Fi, or only to read? I just looked at this thread in Lo-Fi and couldn't figure out a way to reply without switching back to Hi-Fi.

Is it possible to post/reply/etc from Lo-Fi, or only to read? I just looked at this thread in Lo-Fi and couldn't figure out a way to reply without switching back to Hi-Fi.
Looking quickly, no I didn't see any way to make posts in Lo-Fi. But it still would help with reading things at least.

I made it! :)
#6 pulled into CUS @ 3:40 - 10 minutes EARLY! :D So I get to spend a few hours in the Metropolitan Lounge wasting time :p before my next train!
Whats next?
Another train. :)
And another ... (times 5)! I should get "home" on March 30!

I'm in CVS waiting for #19 to NOL - and #50 was 1 hour 37 minutes late. I got nervous at Prince when #50 started backing up! (That was the site of the "debacle" last October!) :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
I made it! :)
#6 pulled into CUS @ 3:40 - 10 minutes EARLY! :D So I get to spend a few hours in the Metropolitan Lounge wasting time :p before my next train!
Whats next?
Another train. :)
And another ... (times 5)! I should get "home" on March 30!

I'm in CVS waiting for #19 to NOL - and #50 was 1 hour 37 minutes late. I got nervous at Prince when #50 started backing up! (That was the site of the "debacle" last October!) :eek:

Ah, found your trip in the other forum. Looks like a nice trip!

I was on the CZ going the other direction at the same time. I know the eastbound CZ that Traveler was on was on time because we passed it---our train was right on time, too. That is until we hit a maintenance of way crew outside of Glenwood Springs who didn't give us the right of way and we sat for an hour and five minutes. No problem, we still ended up in Salt Lake on time and were early into Winnemucca...so much so that we waited for 30 minutes there. Our coaches weren't full at all....my uncle and I were allowed to sit in the rear coach from Denver to Glenwood Springs, and I doubt if it was 25% full. We sat back there for better video opportunities.

I was on the CZ going the other direction at the same time.
Hey, I waved, but you didn't wave back! :lol:

It seems funny that while on UP tracks, the CZ was on time. But when it was on BNSF tracks, it lost time! :eek: Of all the trains I took in the past 10 days, surprisingly the 3 that were either on time or early were the CZ, the SL (into SAS) and the TE! :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back