CZ named one of "The World’s 12 Most Beautiful Train Rides"

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very interesting and thanks for posting.

I've been on the Glacier Express and the

trains to Jungfrau in Switzerland. Both

are exciting. Also been on the Orient

Express from Vienna to Paris.

Glad to see the California Zephyr made the list.

Ironically the photo for California Zephyr shows a freight train of Union Pacific- the very guys who don't really want Amtrak trains to run over their routes.

:hi: Thanks for posting this! Why limit it to 12??? Glad to see the Zephyr included, :wub: but think that the Starlight could just as easily been included :cool: ! Also the Alaskan Railroad is pretty Spectactular, but perhaps they limited it to LD Land Cruise type Trains instead of "Tourist Trains"!Im surprised that the Pricey Rocky Mountain Train, which is having Labor Disputes, was included instead of VIAs Canadian!!!

I like that the CZ was on the list. I've also been on the one in Peru, which is spectacular. It does not, however, get to the crest of Machu Picchu. I don't think I'd call the Alaska RR a tourist train. It's a working route and still makes whistle stops. And it is spectacular in summer or winter. I've been on it in both seasons.

The Copper Canyon trip in Mexico is also gorgeous. It's probably a little dangerous to do these days at it goes through such remote areas. Even when we did it three years ago, it was with armed federal guards who got off the train and circled the train at every stop.

Ironically the photo for California Zephyr shows a freight train of Union Pacific- the very guys who don't really want Amtrak trains to run over their routes.
Maybe that's when the CZ was not running!
smile.gif
And that makes it "a rare sight"!
laugh.gif

Personally I think most any scene looks beautiful when viewed from a train window. :cool:

What the 'top 12 rides in the world' are is too subjective a call, for me to take this seriously. I'd like to see the scientific methods used to quantify for this list. Did they hook passengers up to bio-feedback machines? :huh: Record the numbers of 'oos and awes' per mile? :blink: Pull numbers out of a hat? :unsure:

Of the ones listed I have been on the following:

o Glacier Express

o The West highland Line

o California Zephyr

o Darjeeling Himalayan Railway

In addition I have been on:

o the Vancouver to Kamloops part of the Rocky Mountaineer Vancouver - Banff and the entire Vancouver to Jasper route.

o the Singapore to Bangkok portion of the Eastern and Oriental Express route.

I also agree that Flombahn in Norway from Myrdal to Flom is right up there in terms of sheer beauty, as is Trondheim to Andalsnese.

Although not that scenic, but crossing the Arctic Circle on the Trondheim to Bodo in Norway is also quite an experience.

My favourites are:

*Beograd-Bar

*Ploce-Sarajevo

*Chur-St.Moritz-Tirano (the Bernina Express)

*Chicago-Emeryville (i.e. the CZ)

*Salzburg-Villach

*Narvik-Lulea

*Oslo-Bergen

*Napoli-Palermo

*Kalka-Shimla (India)

It looks like I may make it to Northern England/Scotland next summer and am considering a trip on the West Highland Line. Is it better to go to Oban or Mallaig from Glasgow? It will be an all day trip, is it worth it?

It looks like I may make it to Northern England/Scotland next summer and am considering a trip on the West Highland Line. Is it better to go to Oban or Mallaig from Glasgow? It will be an all day trip, is it worth it?
Oban from Glasgow is quite easy as a day trip, although to go that far and not cross Rannoch Moor and head to Mallaig from Fort William is almost criminal....

If you time it right there is a summer steam hauled train from Fort William to Mallaig and back, (twice daily at some busy times of year) plus to maximize your time up there there is a sleeper service to and from London, which also has seating accommodation from Edinburgh. Like Amtrak if you book early enough you can get a really good deal.

It is worth it, most definitely. Fort William to Mallaig is simply outstanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back