CZ 6 (24) delayed by trespasser

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Golden grrl

Service Attendant
Am aboard.Waiting for trespasser to be found. The said trespasser seen on camera entering east end of Moffett tunnel.At last word, rr officers and the law have not yet located the individual. CZ will be very late into Denver today.

Conductor just reported after last post. Trespasser not yet located so no idea what he was doing nor where he is. Was captured on videotape entering just before the curtiin came down to vent the tunnel after the last train had got through. Obviously, until trespasser's intentions are understood, no trains can enter. A complication is that there are passages interconnecting the Moffett rr tunnel with the old pioneer tunnel for water.

If you are awaiting this eastbound train in Denver, I would recommend you go get some dinner since we will

not make it to the city anytime soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
May be ready to roll. Passengers have been reboarded, ALL ABOARD! Conductor said we will move ahead to the tunnel to wait. RR is still driving the truck thru and is nearly done but no trespasser found yet. We do not yet have clearance to go into tunnel but engineer is hopeful.

Just left OTTUMWA. Looks at least 5 late to Chicago. I am guessing I'll be spending the night there unless they delay 30's departure.

I think you want to get there ASAP. Iirc correctly passenger services is located across from the ticket office.

I would try calling 1800 USA rail to see if they can rebook you on 48. I live Chicago so I rarely have this scenario. You've just left Princeton so u have a good chance of making 48.

Well, dang Charlie. Why didn't you stand in front of the engine & hold it for her? :)

Steve, Charlie, thanks for the help. Had problems on train connecting here with my old 3g modem and tablet, but now that I am stable in a nice hotel room in Chicago this am, can respond. Even though we were in the 631 car next to the end of the train, and even though one of us just qualified for the senior discount (not saying which one of us it was), we hustled and were the second in line. It was a Long, Long line by the time we left!

Could have gone on 48 IF we downgraded to coach. We opted to wait for the Sunday 30.

None of our OBS crew had any word on whether the Moffett tunnel trespasser was ever apprended or not, but passengers and crew had several imaginative ideas re appropriate punishments.

Steve, we had a very good, calm room at the Swissoair (or Swiss-something). Amtrak gave us 20 bucks for roundtrip cab fare and another 20 for meals. We taxied there, but walked back this am to drop our backpacks in the Metro lounge this morning and get a cup of coffee before we headed off to the Field Museum. Last time the Scientist was there was 45 years ago. First visit for me.

Now back in Metro Lounge wondering if today's CZ's late arrival will delay the 30.

So yes, even though our missed connection was beyond Amtrak's control, they took care of us well and to our satisfaction.

I glad to hear they gave you the option of staying over in Chicago rather than forcing you into coach.

I think it's Swissotel. We recently made an unscheduled stop there due to an 8:45 min late LSL. My comment was that I need to plan a trip where the odds are high that there will be a misconnect again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back