CZ 2/13

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's going on with the Zephyr in Nevada now? It's 13 hrs late at Winnemucca.
I suggest you always check the "Amtrak Alerts" twitter account. Heres what I found:

California Zephyr Train 5 which departed from Chicago (CHI) on 2/11 is currently stopped east of Elko (ELK) due to mechanical issues. We will update when more information is available.

Since this one, many other tweets said it continues to hold, it's on the move, etc, but this is the only one I saw that includes a reason.

Late into Denver
Late getting out of Denver due to detouring around a freight derailment on a bridge
Biggest delay was due to a disabled freight near Elko that had trouble getting help then the Amtrak crew timed out.

I suggest you always check the "Amtrak Alerts" twitter account. Heres what I found:

California Zephyr Train 5 which departed from Chicago (CHI) on 2/11 is currently stopped east of Elko (ELK) due to mechanical issues. We will update when more information is available.

Since this one, many other tweets said it continues to hold, it's on the move, etc, but this is the only one I saw that includes a reason.
Thanks Cal. Glad to hear it wasn't freight traffic. I'll be taking it out in April and have been tracking it. In the past I've been lucky with it arriving on time or early in Emeryville. I suppose if you're going to be late very, very late in the am is better than very late. I.e., arriving in EMY at 5am is better than 3am.

Late into Denver
Late getting out of Denver due to detouring around a freight derailment on a bridge
Biggest delay was due to a disabled freight near Elko that had trouble getting help then the Amtrak crew timed out.
Thank you Amtrak Blue. Reasons you and Cal cover all bases and seem to make this train a memorably bad experience.

Late into Denver
Interesting. So this is called " a mechanical issue". Maybe that is just standard Amtrak boilerplate that covers a number of actual reasons.

Interesting. So this is called " a mechanical issue". Maybe that is just standard Amtrak boilerplate that covers a number of actual reasons.
I'm not sure, they have used "disabled freight train" for their reason of delay many times in the past, not sure why they wouldn't use it here.

Back