Current status of the EB

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

donald m

Does anyone know the current status of the Empire Builder, is it back up?

It's back up and running; business as usual. It restarted yesterday, both directions. Granted, the first westbound train is currently almost 4 hours late right now but that's better than not at all. And eastbound it's only a few minutes late but hasn't gotten into N. Dakota yet. You can be assured it will be much more than "a few minutes" late then!

Last edited by a moderator:
And as one of the people on the first Eastbound trip (just went to Whitefish, MT from Portland, OR), I can tell you we were all pretty goofy happy once the train started moving! When people have been worrying about not having ANY train, suddenly they find the little glitches can be dealt with (no beer!!! because the train had been sitting on a siding for two weeks - or that's their story.) The Lounge /Cafe attendant had to be flown in from Chicago....

And I have to say that the ticketing agents / baggage people were just WONDERFUL at the Portland Station! We were delighted!

Barb in so cal

P.S. Will write a short recap/ review when I'm back but so far: Pacific Parlor Car on Coast Starlight is GOOD. Veggie burger (and I'm a carnivore) is GOOD. Desserts were blah. Salmon was overcooked (but I like mine very moist - as in a bit underdone?). Size of roomette is cause for giggles, but workable....... more later - internet is iffy........

Parked on a siding for two weeks? What is this - Amtrak's version of Henry stuck in a tunnel? :giggle:

Heck of a slow order to do that. Now 9:47 late out of Malta. Could just be freight congestion/slow orders coupled with crew dogcatch, but I'd guess there is/was a bigger problem. Probably going to turn in Spokane.

Mark

...dogcatch?
Crew outlawed (ran out of time) and had to be replaced on-site. I had that happen on the EB a couple years back after a frozen switch and bad axle on a Genesis led to an unexpected 4-hour delay in scenic Devils Lake, ND. We got about halfway to Rugby and had to wait for the new crew to drive up off US-2.

My daughter is getting on at Staples Mn. Amtrak status page is calling for 5 hours and 11 minutes late. She will miss her connection to Galesburg. Not sure if they will bus her her put her up for the night. Any ideas? Should I be proactive and make some calls to Amtrak for her or will they take care of it on her own?

The status map indicates a service disruption for 7 and 27 today. I would guess that indeed the EB was so late it was turned in Spokane. On the other hand, the #7 that originated in Chicago yesterday is showing "only" 1 hr and 51 minutes late at Rugby. Considering everything, that's not so bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back